It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Urine screen showing Nucynta

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User
Urine screen showing Nucynta

Greetings all,
Someting very odd happened to me today at my regularly scheduled pain mgmt appointment. They say my urine lab results from my last visit were showing Nucynta, which I am not prescribed. I had never even heard of it, but I see that it is an opioid. I told them I had no idea what it is and assured them I only took what was prescribed to me and of course they acted like I was lying. They threatened to cut me off my other meds, but gave me another chance. Honestly, I did not take it. Here is a list of what I take:

Lyrica 200mg 3xday
Cymbalta 60mg 1xday
Suboxone 8mg 2xday
Lisiniprol/HCTZ 10/12.5 1xday

I did have four teeth pulled about a week before my urine test and was prescribed oxycodone 5/325 every 8 hours for 3 days (of course I discontinued the suboxone while I was taking that.) The dentist also gave me a shot of what I thought was novacaine to numb me, but not sure.

The fact that they don't believe me when I told them I have no idea where that came from really bothers me as I have always adhered to my pain contract and don't want any red flags.

Has anybody else had Nucynta show up incorrectly on a drug screen? Any ideas what might have caused this to show up? I am going to call the dentist to make sure the shot he gave me to numb me wouldn't have caused it, but other than that the only thing I can think of is just a mistake by the lab. How common is that?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Your friend
Robert aka Ouchpotato

Last edited by ouchpotato; 05-03-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
BB07
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Urine screen showing Nucynta

Hello Robert-

Did you mention at all to your pm doc the meds/visit to/from your dentist??

Because YES-taking oxycodone with other meds will generate a positive urine screen-not sure why it showed Nucynta-but you should have called your pm BEFORE you took the oxycodone.

Did you sign a contract with your PM? If you did, I'm pretty sure one of the things you agreed to do was not accept any narcotics from any other provider unless YOUR pm ok's it.

Most PM contracts say you are to notify them prior to any surgical procedures, so they(your pm)can co-ordinate any additional pain medicine that may be necessary.

Be careful with this.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'd ask for a copy of the UA results. It should be part of your medical records, which you are legally entitled to. See if things look right, what kind of test was done, etc. It wouldn't hurt to get your medical records too, and see how they worded this. If I was in your shoes I'd try to clear it up, as even though they are "giving you another chance", it can be held against you in the future. Did the test pick up your prescribed meds and Nucynta, or only Nucynta? Best wishes.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User

Hi.
Yes, my PM doc was fully aware that I was having teeth pulled and would be prescribed the oxycodone which did show up on the drug screen as expected. The Nucynta showed up in addition to the oxycodone, and I'm trying to pinpoint where it came from or was it a mistake.

Thanks
Robert

Last edited by ouchpotato; 05-03-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
I'd ask for a copy of the UA results. It should be part of your medical records, which you are legally entitled to. See if things look right, what kind of test was done, etc. It wouldn't hurt to get your medical records too, and see how they worded this. If I was in your shoes I'd try to clear it up, as even though they are "giving you another chance", it can be held against you in the future. Did the test pick up your prescribed meds and Nucynta, or only Nucynta? Best wishes.
Hi,
All my other meds showed up as expected along with the Nucynta. Yeah, I wish I.had gotten a copy of everything while I was there. I will call them and request the drug screen results and the records tomorrow.

I agree, I don't want this showing up.

I also might see if I can contact the lab to dispute the results. I wonder if they keep the urine samples after they test them. Maybe I could get them to retest it.

Robert

Last edited by ouchpotato; 05-03-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User

Quote:
It's strange, I have never had this happen before and I've been in PM for years.

I wonder if there was something in the shot the dentist gave me to numb me. It's a long shot but who knows?

Robert

Last edited by ouchpotato; 05-03-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Even if there was something besides Novocaine/etc in the shot, I don't see how it would last a week. I'm surprised the Oxycodone even showed up if it was for 3 days starting 7 days ago (ie. 4 days since you took it), unless that is off by a couple days, as it is a short acting med.

Since it showed your other meds the chance of the lab mixing up the samples seems low. If its GC/MS testing, that is very accurate. So your doctor wouldn't explore the possibility at all of some medication or other interaction causing this reading? Thats unfortunate, but I imagine everyone who is guilty of a dirty UA will claim its clean. If you get the results you can at least see if it is a small or large amount which showed up. Best wishes.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

If the testing done was either gc/ms or immunoassay testing, the odds of a false positive are extremely low, since those tests look at the metabolites of the meds as they are broken down in the body.
With your other meds showing up, it is even less likely that there was an error.
Nucynta would not be given by a dentist in an injection to numb the area, so I think it is safe to rule that out.
I agree, getting a copy of the results and finding out what type of testing and the levels would be a good idea.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User

Quote:
Even if there was something besides Novocaine/etc in the shot, I don't see how it would last a week. I'm surprised the Oxycodone even showed up if it was for 3 days starting 7 days ago (ie. 4 days since you took it), unless that is off by a couple days, as it is a short acting med.

Since it showed your other meds the chance of the lab mixing up the samples seems low. If its GC/MS testing, that is very accurate. So your doctor wouldn't explore the possibility at all of some medication or other interaction causing this reading? Thats unfortunate, but I imagine everyone who is guilty of a dirty UA will claim its clean. If you get the results you can at least see if it is a small or large amount which showed up. Best wishes.
Thanks for the reply.....the dentist said the shot only had lidocaine, so nothing there. Yes, the dental procedure was done a week before my pm appt, but they gave me 3 days worth of the oxy, so I expected it to show.

I also called the pharmacy and they didn't see anything that cause it either. I'm stumped. I honrstly didn't take it or any*thing I wasn't supposed too. I'm calling the lab to see what the say. Will keep you posted. Thx for the support.

Robert

Old 05-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
ouchpotato
(male)

ouchpotato HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
If the testing done was either gc/ms or immunoassay testing, the odds of a false positive are extremely low, since those tests look at the metabolites of the meds as they are broken down in the body.
With your other meds showing up, it is even less likely that there was an error.
Nucynta would not be given by a dentist in an injection to numb the area, so I think it is safe to rule that out.
I agree, getting a copy of the results and finding out what type of testing and the levels would be a good idea.
Thanks, working on that now. Will keep you posted.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
BB07
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Here's something to keep in mind-

false positive depends on the quality of the laboratory that does the testing. There seems to be about 1,200 of these labs in the United States currently testing for drugs. Less than a 100 of these meet federal standards and MOST of the individual states do not regulate drug test labs. The number of false positives returned range from 4% to over 50%, depending on the lab.

Was the lab used for your specimen CERTIFIED?

Was tapentadol confirmed by GC/MS?

If you did not take Nucynta, the lab is in error-hope they will take a look at this seriously to find out why you were positive for tapentadol(nucynta)

I read a case where a person taking hydrocodone(Vicodin)tested positive for tapentadol-claimed they never took or even ever heard of Nucynta(tapentadol)and were trying to find out WHY-this person never returned to give an update of any resolution though.

I am really interested in what caused your positive screen for tapentadol, of all things! I would not let it go either, it may happen again and then what? You get accused of something you did not do. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

If you need to convince someone that a particular false positive is possible then you need an authoritative reference.
The three best sources are:
1.The manufacturer of the drug
2.The manufacturer of the drug tests
3.Government agencies responsible for testing

Last edited by BB07; 05-04-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
SmashingFury
(male)

SmashingFury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchpotato View Post
Greetings all,
Someting very odd happened to me today at my regularly scheduled pain mgmt appointment. They say my urine lab results from my last visit were showing Nucynta, which I am not prescribed. I had never even heard of it, but I see that it is an opioid. I told them I had no idea what it is and assured them I only took what was prescribed to me and of course they acted like I was lying. They threatened to cut me off my other meds, but gave me another chance. Honestly, I did not take it. Here is a list of what I take:

Lyrica 200mg 3xday
Cymbalta 60mg 1xday
Suboxone 8mg 2xday
Lisiniprol/HCTZ 10/12.5 1xday

I did have four teeth pulled about a week before my urine test and was prescribed oxycodone 5/325 every 8 hours for 3 days (of course I discontinued the suboxone while I was taking that.) The dentist also gave me a shot of what I thought was novacaine to numb me, but not sure.

The fact that they don't believe me when I told them I have no idea where that came from really bothers me as I have always adhered to my pain contract and don't want any red flags.

Has anybody else had Nucynta show up incorrectly on a drug screen? Any ideas what might have caused this to show up? I am going to call the dentist to make sure the shot he gave me to numb me wouldn't have caused it, but other than that the only thing I can think of is just a mistake by the lab. How common is that?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Your friend
Robert aka Ouchpotato
Robert,

This precise scenario just happened to me today! I am so upset and distraught over it. The only similarity I noticed between our medications though are:

Cymbalta 90mg
Lisinopril 20mg

I am also prescribed Oxycodone IR 20mg four times daily and was recently prescribed OxyContin ER 20mg twice daily to supplement my other pain med.

How did your situation end up now that it's been over a year since your original post?

I hope to hear from you.

Paul aka SmashingFury

Old 10-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
chutzler
(male)

chutzler HB User

I just got my latest results from my PM appt (they email the results to me) and this strange drug is on mine as well. I am prescribed and take oxycodone 15mg 4x/day. I haven't discussed it with the doc yet, but I have NEVER even heard of this med, the only other thing I take is regular ibuprofen and meloxicam. This is bugging the crap out of me after seeing this result and I fear my PM doc won't believe a word I tell him.

Reply Reply