It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• need some advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
    amygrl
    (female)

amygrl HB User
    need some advice

I have been in pain management for many years. I have been in 3 serious car accidents in the last 28 years and because of that, I have had to have many surgeries, the last major one was extensive back surgery. This last Doctor I have been goin to for about 2 years. I was called by the office on a Thursday afternoon to come in for a pill count. I had no problem with that except I was a little over an hour away from my home (where I keep all of my medication). So I would have to get to my home to get the medication and drive to his office, which was about 30 min from my home. I explained that to them and asked if they can give me 30 more min or if I could come in the very next morning; they refused. I tried to explain that it would take be a little more than 2 hours to get there after getting my medication. They still refused. This was at 2 pm on a Thursday and my next appointment was for the following Tuesday. I was discharged the next morning. The Dr refused to give me medication to get me until I found another physician and the girl who sends the medical records takes 7-10 business days to fax the records. And I just found out, after being turned away from 2 doctors, that I will have a hard time finding a doctor to take me. Is this right, is it legal????! I've already had 1 small stroke from trying to quit the medication cold turkey. Should I call the office and tell them they need to give me enough medication to get me thru a few more wks until I find a doctor??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
    Momaddict
    (female)

Momaddict HB User
    Re: need some advice

I understand your chronic pain issues, cancer patient myself at 34. Your previous Doctor isn't going to give you the medication, if they want a pill count there's regulations they are following. You have a few options, buy off the street, quit and go through 5 days of hell, get on suboxone to ease withdrawals, you can find a detox program in your area, wouldn't recommend my withdrawals off buphrenorphine lasted 2 weeks(similar to subs) . I recommend kicking all of it, dealing with the withdrawal and considering other pain management. After my mastectomy I used Ib profen scared to death of withdrawals and didn't want to be married to the lifestyle anymore. I understand your panick but if u are in a place to kick the pain meds, deal with 5-7 days of hardcore withdrawal you will remember it hate it, never use again, pain sometimes is mental. In your situation probably chronic, try other methods, I'm not preaching, just a young person, who lost everything to this lifestyle,to addiction, I even lost my children. Finding that fix, so I wouldn't get sick was my focus.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
    Fionaswan
    (female)

Fionaswan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Momaddictwisdom View Post
    I understand your chronic pain issues, cancer patient myself at 34. Your previous Doctor isn't going to give you the medication, if they want a pill count there's regulations they are following. You have a few options, buy off the street, quit and go through 5 days of hell, get on suboxone to ease withdrawals, you can find a detox program in your area, wouldn't recommend my withdrawals off buphrenorphine lasted 2 weeks(similar to subs) . I recommend kicking all of it, dealing with the withdrawal and considering other pain management. After my mastectomy I used Ib profen scared to death of withdrawals and didn't want to be married to the lifestyle anymore. I understand your panick but if u are in a place to kick the pain meds, deal with 5-7 days of hardcore withdrawal you will remember it hate it, never use again, pain sometimes is mental. In your situation probably chronic, try other methods, I'm not preaching, just a young person, who lost everything to this lifestyle,to addiction, I even lost my children. Finding that fix, so I wouldn't get sick was my focus.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles and loss. Reading your advice for the gal who's wanting help shows that you've learned some of the most important aspects to painmanagement. I myself have done 15yrs of psychological theraphy for pain. I've made sure that any pain I presently have is only due to structural or disease pain.
    Your children will get older and see the example you've set for them and will be able to admire the strength it took to keep on the path that you're on. They'll need you in their lives when you'll be able to make the most significant impact. My own mother has lost respect from all of her children. She's chosen to make her pain her life and be the victim. All 7 of my bros and sisters have no respect for out mother. Chin up, I think you're on a good path.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Please remember pain is subjective-before you go cutting family ties, you should consider this.

Until you walk in my shoes-you know not my suffering. I don't think I am a victim.

I just live with intractable pain. Sure glad my kids are not this harsh.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BB07
    Eva 14 (05-29-2016),ferd144 (05-28-2016)
    The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
    ferd144 (05-28-2016)
    Old 05-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

amygrl - So sorry you are dealing with this. You aren't the first one. It sounds like your doctor may have been looking for an excuse to get rid of you (typically they only do pill counts when they suspect something). Unfortunately your doctor is in their right to do this, although it certainly isn't right. Do you have a primary care doctor? They might be willing to prescribe a bit for you to taper down with, or at a minimum, some meds to ease withdrawal symptoms (like Clonidine). Its pretty impossible to get in with a new pain management doctor in a short period of time, so I'd focus on getting through the withdrawal, then figuring out what to do for the chronic pain. Also, this will now be in your records, and new doctors (specifically pain docs) typically require records. You could try to get into the hospital to manage your withdrawal if it gets really bad. Like it was said above, to manage your withdrawal, a doctor who prescribes Suboxone may be another option (or even a Methadone clinic). That may hurt you when trying to get pain management in the future, but you have to do what you have to do. Hang in there! Best wishes.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
    Eva 14
    (female)

Eva 14 HB UserEva 14 HB User

amygrl---I am so sorry for what you're going through. It really sounds like a nightmare. I can't imagine being called up at 2 pm and required to come in immediately for a random pill count. I can't handle the traffic at certain times of the day, and if the pain doc's office is an hour away, that is a really tough situation.

And in your case, you had to go back home to get your meds to be able to take them in to the doctor's office. It really does sound like your doc was just looking for an excuse to drop you.

I think what's going on is illegal, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Morally, it's wrong, at least. I'm getting so sick of chronic pain patients being made to jump through multiple hoops just to get out medications. I feel so helpless---like there's nothing we can do to challenge the extremely restrictive system.

You have my sympathy. I know first-hand that it can take a long time to find a new pain doc---I'm going through that right now. Most docs don't even want to treat chronic pain anymore. Good luck to you. Maybe you can try Suboxone to get you through this.

Closed Thread