It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl Patch and Dry Mouth?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
    Eva 14
    (female)

Eva 14 HB UserEva 14 HB User
    Question Fentanyl Patch and Dry Mouth?

I just wondered if anyone else who has tried the Duragesic fentanyl patch has experienced extreme dry mouth as a side effect?

I tried the patch briefly, but found that I had some problems with it. It only lasted 48 hours, NOT 72 hours.

I tried the 75 mcg. patch. I had some pain relief from it, but also a couple of annoying side effects. I had some nausea. Maybe that goes away in time? I wasn't on it for very long.

Even worse, I experienced extreme dry mouth. I was literally forced to drink water constantly, which of course caused me to have to use the restroom very frequently. These side effects seemed too annoying to put up with.

I was switched over to oral pain meds. I've tried almost all of the long-acting oral pain meds, and I did not have either the nausea or the dry mouth from oral pain meds.

My new PM doc proposed trying me on the fentanyl patch, in conjunction with a couple of different long-acting oral pain meds. I'm willing to give anything a try, but I am concerned about the dry mouth side effect. My doctor said we could try the patch at 50 mcg. (instead of the 75 mcg. I was on before) and then maybe I wouldn't have the side effects. But I'm worried that a lower dose may not provide adequate pain relief, because my pain is very severe.

I'm really curious to know if anyone else has experienced extreme dry mouth while on the Duragesic patch? Does it vary by brand of patch? Does the dry mouth go away with time? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch and Dry Mouth?

As I understand it, dry mouth would be one of the less likely side effects to go away with time (vs. for example nausea or drowsiness). It can be combated with certain products (mouth rinse, mints, etc, like Biotene), but if there are other medication options, it may be best to avoid the offending medication. In addition to being annoying, dry mouth can cause increased tooth decay. If its been awhile since you tried the patches it may be worth trying them again to see if you have the same response, but if there are other good options, it may be better left nearer the bottom of the list. It is common to prescribe the patches to be changed every 48 not 72 hours, as many folks don't have them last that long (and even the prescribing instructions say this can be done). I couldn't even get it to last 48 hours, although that may have also been dose-related (too low). I didn't do well on the patch at all between the inadequate pain relief, didn't last long, and extreme skin irritation. Some folks do very well though. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
    Eva 14 (05-31-2016)
    Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch and Dry Mouth?

I have been using 100mcg for about 5 years-dry mouth is not a side effect I was troubled with, or if I did it passed quickly enough I don't remember it being
    a problem.

I do well with Fentynal and at a steady dose. I do change them q48h.

Interestingly, I recently had a DNA test for pain meds-

It showed I do well on Fent, oxymorphone, morphine, hydromorphone-I carry the genotype and isoenzyme that metabolizes these well.

Unusually high sensitivity to methadone.

Non-responsive to all the rest!! which means I would need an unusually high dose. (ie) including quite a few of the sa ones

Ask your doc if they are doing this pain med DNA test-the lab my doc is using is
    Alpha-Genomix- It will help your doc make the best determination on your medication.

good luck!

Last edited by BB07; 05-31-2016 at 12:00 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
    Eva 14 (05-31-2016),kevinl921 (05-31-2016)
    Closed Thread