It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Terrified ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #1
    phoebej
    (female)

phoebej HB User
    Terrified ...

Long story short...prescribed hydrocodone 11 years ago for a back injury. Two lumbar fusions later (the last of which was 4+ years ago) and medicating is habitual and my life is suffering. Tried tapering in the past but as soon as I'm uncomfortable I throw in the towel and take one. Flushed the last of my meds an hour ago and am terrified of the upcoming withdrawals.

Hard to admit it's an addiction. But over time I found myself medicating emotional and psychological pain and lost track of the physical pain for which I started using. Counting pills, always remembering to have them with me, sweaty, unmotivated and sleeping too much make my life hard to recognize.

I've got Nyquil, Imodium, ginger ale and soup...anything that I'm missing?

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through cold turkey withdrawals and come out the other side. Right now, I'm paralyzed with fear.

Thanks for reading ~ phoebej

The following user gives a hug of support to phoebej:
    Phoenix (08-13-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
    SQ1966
    (female)

SQ1966 HB User
    Re: Terrified...

I'm there too. Only 7 months using dilaudid for back pain prior to surgery, but I'm trying tapering. I know you gave in, but I'm down from 15 per day to 9. Its hell, so I cant imagine cold Turkey. Hope you're not alone? So does tapering work? I'm suffering badly, dropping 1mg every few days. They do the surgery, then out you go to deal with the pain meds alone...

Old 09-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

I'm so sorry that you are scared and hope you get the help you need. Is there anyway your dr could help you? Because some dr's prescribe meds to help withdrawal to be less severe. I have seen many threads about withdrawal help and opiate tapering and helpful people that know about it on the Addiction and recovery board here on Healthboards and you may find helpful info and receive more replies that would help with your questions. I hope you find the information you need and do well with your recovery.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
    Kyle524
    (female)

Kyle524 HB UserKyle524 HB User

Going cold turkey is very difficult but it can be done. There is a great addiction and recovery board on this Site and it has a full list of products that can help you get through the withdrawals.

take care,

Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
    Kyle524
    (female)

Kyle524 HB UserKyle524 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SQ1966 View Post
    I'm there too. Only 7 months using dilaudid for back pain prior to surgery, but I'm trying tapering. I know you gave in, but I'm down from 15 per day to 9. Its hell, so I cant imagine cold Turkey. Hope you're not alone? So does tapering work? I'm suffering badly, dropping 1mg every few days. They do the surgery, then out you go to deal with the pain meds alone...
    Its kind of harsh and unfair to say Surgeons do the surgery then out you go to deal with pain meds...

They don't force you to take the narcotics. Most try to get you to move to an OTC pain reliever like Advil or Tylenol within a few weeks of surgery when the worst pain is over. It's not Dr.'s faults that you take the pills for pain for as long as you do, that's a choice that each person makes. And everyone is free to research narcotics and all of there side effects including dependence prior to surgery or ever taking them.

I'm glad you don't need them long term for Chronic Pain, and it is possible to successfully taper off of them when you no longer need them for pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle524 For This Useful Post:
    BB07 (09-12-2016)
    Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
    SQ1966
    (female)

SQ1966 HB User
    Re: Terrified ...

Hi there: hope you did well with your cold turkey...

Its a couple weeks later for me and I'm down to 1 Dilaudid (hydromorphone) a day. Its still hell, the leg and joint pain is beyond belief. It is as bad as it was weeks ago. I'm shocked I'm still in any discomfort this close to the finish line? Would love to hear what works, I'm awake at 2am ready to scream....

Old 09-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
    Wunder848
    (female)

Wunder848 HB User

Hi. There. Have you tried soaking in a hot bath when your legs start that achy thing? Its really the only thing that helped me

Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
    SQ1966
    (female)

SQ1966 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wunderhubsch View Post
    Hi. There. Have you tried soaking in a hot bath when your legs start that achy thing? Its really the only thing that helped me
    I had back surgery (implants) and can't sit in a tub for another 3 weeks. I did more reading and found Kava really works, even in tea form. I will try it!

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
    TranscendZen
    (male)

TranscendZen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kyle524 View Post
    Its kind of harsh and unfair to say Surgeons do the surgery then out you go to deal with pain meds...

They don't force you to take the narcotics. Most try to get you to move to an OTC pain reliever like Advil or Tylenol within a few weeks of surgery when the worst pain is over. It's not Dr.'s faults that you take the pills for pain for as long as you do, that's a choice that each person makes. And everyone is free to research narcotics and all of there side effects including dependence prior to surgery or ever taking them.

I'm glad you don't need them long term for Chronic Pain, and it is possible to successfully taper off of them when you no longer need them for pain.
    The word "narcotic" is not a medical term for opioids. It's a term only applicable when these types of medications are used and/or possessed illegally. Law calls them narcotics, medicine does not.

To the original poster: Cold turkey will be hard, but doable. You will have your ups and downs, but remember that the withdrawal is VERY temporary. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
    SQ1966
    (female)

SQ1966 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SQ1966 View Post
    UPDATE! I am 3 weeks drugfree! It was hell, everyday was different. I tapered slowly and took 4 full weeks to go from 15+ Dilaudid (hydromorphone) to zero. I could feel the drug leaving my bones every day. The worst part was the aching joints. Nothing worked to alleviate that, same with the insomnia. I read and tried everything, but it just took the time to pass. Hell. No lie. I'm lucky my husband still loves me and was patient! I still have the ache in one leg from thigh to heel bone, and sleep trouble, but I'm clean and clear! Watching withdrawal stories online helped pass time and me to feel like someone got it. I will NEVER allow a Dr. to prescribe this poison to me again! Good luck to everyone, I'm praying hard and thinking positive about your journey.

Last edited by SQ1966; 10-22-2016 at 05:02 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: SQ1966
    tortoisegirl (10-23-2016),Whoopee (10-26-2016)
    Closed Thread