It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Percocet and lack of needed sleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
    retropat77
    (male)

retropat77 HB User
    Percocet and lack of needed sleep

I am 76 and I took 1 percocet ( 5 mg ) at 12 AM and 1/2 percocet at 1 AM. Went to bed but there has been NO sleep at all , AGAIN. It is now 8:12 AM and I think I can some sleep now but my day is shot. How long before bedtime do I take my percocet and still get sleep? Can anyone help? Thanks

Last edited by retropat77; 08-09-2016 at 05:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Percocet and lack of needed sleep

Typical dosing is every 6 hours, so if you find Percocet stimulating, try taking it at least 6 hours before bed (so its likely to be mostly no longer in effect).

If you are going to be on this med long term and often need a pain med in the evening, ask your doctor about other options (most opioids are more likely to cause sedation than keep you up; the oxycodone in percocet is an exception). Best wishes.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
    retropat77
    (male)

retropat77 HB User

Thanks a lot . Could you please list a few opioids that are more likely cause sedation? I'd appreciate it.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by retropat77 View Post
    Thanks a lot . Could you please list a few opioids that are more likely cause sedation? I'd appreciate it.
    I wouldn't ask for anything by name (only tell your doctor you are unable to sleep after taking Percocet). However, every other opioid I can think of besides Oxycodone is known to be neutral to sedating, such as Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Morphine.

Vicodin is officially considered a step down (10mg hydrocodone is typically weaker than 10mg oxycodone), but it varies a lot person to person. Especially if you are on 5mg oxycodone or find 10mg too strong, it may be a good option.

Besides that, its typically considered a step up to move to a straight opioid, without acetaminophen (as they can be more easily abused, but given your age that probably isn't at the front of your doctor's mind), although nearly anything can be dosed appropriately low. Best wishes.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
    retropat77
    (male)

retropat77 HB User

Thanks much tortoisegirl. ... ...
    This is an update about my relationship with percocet. Since my pain has happily become only moderate. ( For the time being at least. ) I have stopped taking percocet six days ago. I take 500 to 700 mg of Tylenol. And then before bedtime, I take Tylenol PM with 5mg of Valium. I been sleeping well. But now there is great bonus for me. My erectile dysfunction has gone away. That has been a big problem for me over the past three years or so. Can anyone please give an explanation or theory for this. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glad to hear you are sleeping better. Have you discussed the use of Tylenol, Tylenol PM, and Valium with your doctor? Ensure you aren't exceeding 3,000 mg of Acetaminophen a day, including all sources (Tylenol and Tylenol PM). For some people this limit should be much lower. Did you only have the ED while taking the Percocet? It may be a possible side effect. Or, is the Valium new? Best wishes.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #7
    kan4485
    Inactive
    (female)

kan4485 HB User

I have been on pain management since December of 2014. From that time until November of 2015, I was on Percocet 10/325 4x a day, and when I started a new pain clinic they switched me from that to Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5/325 3x a day. I have had a ton of narcotic pain medications since I was 14 years old due to chronic kidney stones. Used to, they would knock me out, but in the last 10 years, they have started making it to where I can't sleep at all when I take them (hence the reason I am up right now). Depending on how much you have taken and how you react to them explains your insomnia.

Last edited by kan4485; 08-16-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:52 AM   #8
    kan4485
    Inactive
    (female)

kan4485 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by retropat77 View Post
    I am 76 and I took 1 percocet ( 5 mg ) at 12 AM and 1/2 percocet at 1 AM. Went to bed but there has been NO sleep at all , AGAIN. It is now 8:12 AM and I think I can some sleep now but my day is shot. How long before bedtime do I take my percocet and still get sleep? Can anyone help? Thanks
    If I want to sleep at night, I can't take anything after 2PM.

Closed Thread