It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Changing pain clinic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
    Pandasmommy13
    (female)

Pandasmommy13 HB User
    Changing pain clinic

Hi. I am struggling and needing some advice if possible! I am currently under care of a pain management clinic and have a morphine pain pump. Through several months of blackouts and hospitalizations my PCP figured out that my pain pump was causing the problem. She ( being the PCP) tried to talk to my pain doctor and he completely denied that the pain pump could cause such problems. So, she referred me to a different pain clinic. I went and saw that pain doctor and just absolutely thought he was wonderful! So now we are starting the transition of going from one to the other. The new clinic doesn't do pumps at all so the previous clinic has to wein me off. I'm in so much pain already and we have just begun! The new clinic said they will be starting to give me something to cover my pain soon. Any thoughts or advice would help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Pandasmommy13
    Queenie99 (03-07-2017),tortoisegirl (03-06-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Changing pain clinic

Sorry you are going through this. Did they figure out what was specifically wrong with the pump? It sounds like it was still putting out morphine (since you are noticing the dosage drop). Was it overdosing you? Or is it pressing on a nerve or something?

Do you have any specific questions? Sounds like its going to be a rough and drawn out process, with them cutting the pump dose and raising the oral dose bit by bit. Might being admitted to the hospital be an option? They could shut off the pump and quickly taper you up with medical support. Otherwise, outpatient, they are overly cautious and conservative. If your new clinic is associated with a hospital, that could be an option.

Be sure the clinics are working together (ie. they both know your current pump vs. oral dosages and that the other clinic is also prescribing for you). Ensure they don't cut the pump dose too quickly such to put you into withdrawal. If you start to get withdrawal symptoms, I'd recommend asking about short acting oral breakthrough meds with flexible dosages.

Is the plan to completely taper you to oral meds, then remove the pump? Typically pain patients are started on a pump when their oral dosages get very high and/or they are having intolerable side effects, so I hope oral meds are going to work out ok for you.

Is the new clinic willing to dose you according to your tolerance, or do they have a dose ceiling? I'm concerned you will have a high tolerance and the new clinic won't be comfortable supporting it. The climate is changing against high dose opioids for chronic pain. Hang in there! Best wishes.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
    Pandasmommy13
    (female)

Pandasmommy13 HB User
    Re: Changing pain clinic

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
    Sorry you are going through this. Did they figure out what was specifically wrong with the pump? It sounds like it was still putting out morphine (since you are noticing the dosage drop). Was it overdosing you? Or is it pressing on a nerve or something?

Do you have any specific questions? Sounds like its going to be a rough and drawn out process, with them cutting the pump dose and raising the oral dose bit by bit. Might being admitted to the hospital be an option? They could shut off the pump and quickly taper you up with medical support. Otherwise, outpatient, they are overly cautious and conservative. If your new clinic is associated with a hospital, that could be an option.

Be sure the clinics are working together (ie. they both know your current pump vs. oral dosages and that the other clinic is also prescribing for you). Ensure they don't cut the pump dose too quickly such to put you into withdrawal. If you start to get withdrawal symptoms, I'd recommend asking about short acting oral breakthrough meds with flexible dosages.

Is the plan to completely taper you to oral meds, then remove the pump? Typically pain patients are started on a pump when their oral dosages get very high and/or they are having intolerable side effects, so I hope oral meds are going to work out ok for you.

Is the new clinic willing to dose you according to your tolerance, or do they have a dose ceiling? I'm concerned you will have a high tolerance and the new clinic won't be comfortable supporting it. The climate is changing against high dose opioids for chronic pain. Hang in there! Best wishes.
    Hi. Thank you for writing me. My pain clinic that is tapering the pump is letting me do it at my own pace. Yes, both pain clinics are keeping in touch frequently. I was having too many side effects and my PCP wanted me to do this and change pain clinics. So far I haven't had hardly any withdrawals. Thank you for your concern and advice! God Bless you!

The following user gives a hug of support to Pandasmommy13:
    tortoisegirl (03-20-2017)
    Closed Thread