It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pain management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
    Patriciax4
    (female)

Patriciax4 HB User
    Pain management

I'm just courious if you get called in for a pill count. Do they start from the day you picked up your meds?
    New to all of this please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
    micvale1
    (male)

micvale1 HB User
    Re: Pain management

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patriciax4 View Post
    I'm just courious if you get called in for a pill count. Do they start from the day you picked up your meds?
    New to all of this please help.
    yes they do start from the day, I've never been called in for a pill count, if you take your pills as directed and when you start to get low then get a refill .

Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I've never been called in for a pill count either, but generally speaking, the day you fill is day one of a new prescription.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Agreed it would be expected to start from the date you pick it up. If for whatever reason you dropped off a script one day, they filled it that day, but you didn't pick it up until the next day, your pharmacy is likely to count from the date you pick it up (although it can vary by state). I had an issue with that before. My pharmacy was out of my medication and had to order it. I had some extra pills so I thought nothing of agreeing to that. Turns out that pushed back my allowed "refill" date (actually new script date), so I essentially lost those extra pills. However, apparently that is only true for a daily Schedule II med, not an as needed Schedule II med.

The only time I ever had a pill count was when I came in to see my doctor early for a dose increase as I was in withdrawal due to a med switch; they wanted to check I hadn't taken extra.

As for pill counts: My pain clinic just had us sign new contracts and there were some additions. Included was that we must return phone calls within 24 hours. I questioned what would happen if I was on vacation and didn't have phone access (such as if I was on a cruise). My pain doc said I didn't have anything to worry about as they typically only require call backs for pill counts, and only do those if they have an issue (such as a failed UA). He said they added the 24 hour thing as apparently they had an issue with some people not answering their phone or even hanging up on them when they were trying to notify the patient of a pill count requirement or such (I guess to try and claim they weren't notified as they didn't want to do it).

I've heard of some clinics doing pill counts each visit, but that would only work if your appointments didn't line up with your fill dates...most folks go to their doctor every 28 or 30 days, on or immediately before their fill date, so they wouldn't have any significantly amount of pills to bring in to be counted. Most of they time if they call you in for a pill count, they suspect you of something already. That said, it is not an excuse to be off on your count (unless it is an as needed med and your doctor has said you can take more on some days and less on other days, instead of a set max per day and having extra if you don't need the max every day).

My best advise to a new pain patient is to read your contract thoroughly, keep it handy for reference (such as what to do if you have an acute pain issue like a dental problem), and ask your doctor any questions you have right away. Unfortunately one seemingly small slip up can cause someone to be dismissed and have a red flag in their records, which every future pain doc will ask for, making it nearly impossible to ever get opioids again. Best wishes.

Closed Thread