It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Pain med dosage variances

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
bcoolnow
(male)

bcoolnow HB User
Pain med dosage variances

This is in response to a post awhile back concerning the amount of med in different companies meds. I too have been on pain meds for a long time, 20 years, and i know that there is sometimes quite a difference in the amount of active ingredients. I am referring to fentanyl patches. the amount of Mcg per hour may be the same but the overall amount of med within each patch can vary dramatically. If you get a chance compare the total amount of fentanyl in the Mylan patch to the amount in Malincrodt. On the 75 Mcg per hour patch I am using there is more than a 80 Mcg difference between the two.
I also know that the generic brands are equivalent to the name brands but there can be quite a difference between generics. As we all know we all react differently to meds so i can take 2 norco's from one company and get no relief but take 2 from another and get good relief.
I have been using Malincrodt patches with good results but just changed pharmacies and got the Watson brand and get virtually no relief at all. Mylan falls somewhere in the middle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
BB07
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Pain med dosage variances

Hi-

I'm a little confused by what you said about there being a 80mcg difference between mallinCRAP and Mylan - both of the 75mcg patches claim to release 75mcg's per hour; the difference lies in the total amount which is in milligrams; in the two; the mallin/75mcg patch contains a total of 8.5mg - and the Mylan 75mcg patch contains a total of 7.65mg - Watson 75mcg contains 7.5mg - Brand name Duragesic 75mcg contains 12.6mg

The brand name "Duragesic" contains the highest amount of fentanyl mg wise.

What I don't understand is, if each patch releases 75mcg per hour for 72 hours - WHY such a difference in the total amount????

I am using the "Duragesic", they are the best; to me, there is NO comparison, and next to "Duragesic", the other generic brands are sub-standard.

By there being 12.6mg in the 75mcg Duragesic patch- "Duragesic" is saying it takes 12.6mg of fentanyl to release 75mcg per hour for 72 hours.

Last edited by BB07; 05-08-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Kylekat
(female)

Kylekat HB UserKylekat HB User

I'm not sure where your getting your information but it cannot be correct. That large a discrepancy between fent patches would be causing overdoses. A variable of a few mcg or mg is normal between mfg.'s but 80 mcg is not possible.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
Hi-

What I don't understand is, if each patch releases 75mcg per hour for 72 hours - WHY such a difference in the total amount????
The difference is likely due to the composition of the patch layers and the ability of the med to pass through it. Different manufacturers use different materials of different thicknesses, etc. that have different diffusion rates. The important thing is the amount of drug delivered/hour, not the total amount of drug in the patch.

Reply Reply