It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Help! From pain management to suboxone??

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
bellsina71
(female)

bellsina71 HB User
Unhappy Help! From pain management to suboxone??

PLEASE HELP!! QUESTIONS
I was wondering if anyone knew if a suboxone doctor will take me if I have been on pain management. I want to get OFF the opiates! They are ruining my life. I take more than what I am supposed too and buy them. I was on a higher does for pain but since the new CDC guidelines came out my doctor cut my script in 1/3.

I have an appt with a sub doctor in 2 weeks and I am scared he won't even take me because I have been on pain management? I am not sure how this works? I am under contract and obviously wouldn't ever see him again if I get on suboxone but I don't know how this works? Does anyone know? I am really confused... Thanks for any replies that can help!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: bellsina71
Pandasmommy13 (08-09-2017),tortoisegirl (08-10-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Pandasmommy13
(female)

Pandasmommy13 HB User
Re: Help! From pain management to suboxone??

Hi Bellisna! I understand you wanting off opioids and realizing what you need to do! I'm so proud of you! Since you want the help with getting off the opioids, I don't see a reason why the suboxone doctor wouldn't want to help you. That's what they are there for! I realize you are under a contract so before prescribing you suboxone they should be able to help you void your pain contract with your other doctor so you won't be in violation. Be careful when you start the suboxone. I had a bad reaction so I can't take it. I will be thinking 💭 of you! Good 😊 luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Suboxone is also an opiate, just so you know. Your best bet would be to discuss your desire to get off the opiates with your current pm doctor, and see if he can help you.
Suboxone doctors typically do not take insurance, and all too often from what I've read, they use doses way to high for a person tapering off opiates, and tend to keep them on it for far too long.
When it comes to a chronic pain patient, Suboxone should be used for a very short time frame-a week at most, and typically at no more than 2 mg per day, followed to a rapid taper, and then off.
I would really encourage you to discuss alternatives with your current Dr first, before going the Suboxone route.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
Fionaswan
(female)

Fionaswan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Suboxone is also an opiate, just so you know. Your best bet would be to discuss your desire to get off the opiates with your current pm doctor, and see if he can help you.
Suboxone doctors typically do not take insurance, and all too often from what I've read, they use doses way to high for a person tapering off opiates, and tend to keep them on it for far too long.
When it comes to a chronic pain patient, Suboxone should be used for a very short time frame-a week at most, and typically at no more than 2 mg per day, followed to a rapid taper, and then off.
I would really encourage you to discuss alternatives with your current Dr first, before going the Suboxone route.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Everything you just said is incorrect. Please don't give people medical advice if you're not 100% sure you're giving correct answers. It's fine to share your experiences or opinions with others but be clear that they're your opinions and not facts. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
Fionaswan
(female)

Fionaswan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsina71 View Post
PLEASE HELP!! QUESTIONS
I was wondering if anyone knew if a suboxone doctor will take me if I have been on pain management. I want to get OFF the opiates! They are ruining my life. I take more than what I am supposed too and buy them. I was on a higher does for pain but since the new CDC guidelines came out my doctor cut my script in 1/3.

I have an appt with a sub doctor in 2 weeks and I am scared he won't even take me because I have been on pain management? I am not sure how this works? I am under contract and obviously wouldn't ever see him again if I get on suboxone but I don't know how this works? Does anyone know? I am really confused... Thanks for any replies that can help!!
You're the perfect patient for suboxone. It's made for your situation meaning a person whose been on opiates long term or at high levels and are not getting enough pain relief. In Ca. Where I live each Dr can only have 50 patient on suboxone so it makes it even harder to find a Dr. Ins co. Are more likely to cover suboxone because it not only has the pain blocking ingredient but also naloxone which blocks any opiates from entering the body. Switching over from opiates to suboxone took me 2days. I had no withdrawals at all. I switched from 75mcgs fentanyl patch and 60-80mgs Percocets a day. I take between 16-32mgs in 8mg strips a day. I still have excruciating pain all day everyday but I get better relief than the opiates gave me. I've never felt weird or high from suboxone but then I never felt different or high ever taking opiates. I've always had enough pain that my body used up the pain meds. I know many people on suboxone it's been a life saver for all of us. You can take it for life where with opiates it has to filter through your body. Suboxone is sublingual. I hope this helps. Just tell suboxone Dr about contract with other dr. They're use to dealing with that. Be honest with your new dr.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Sorry you are dealing with this. I commend you for recognizing that you have a problem and want to stop the cycle. I'd encourage you to talk to your prescribing doctor first. There may be other options, or they may even be able to prescribe Suboxone (it requires special approval though, so often not, although they may refer you to a doctor they know). However, I see no reason a Sub doctor wouldn't take you as a patient, as this sort of thing is actually pretty common.

If you only went to the Sub doctor and didn't return to the pain doc though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sub doctor called or sent notes over to your pain doc just to let them know what is going on. What you need to avoid however is getting a Sub script from a Sub doctor then still going back for treatment at the pain doctor and not tell them (as most states have a database so they will know if you fill the script). Keeping your relationship with your pain doc is also a good idea as it is very likely you will still need some sort of treatment; they may be able to help you with non-opioid options.

I was forced into a trial of Sub as I was on Methadone and my pain clinic was no longer comfortable with prescribing the high dose (I didn't have any addiction issue). They were hoping the Sub would be sufficient for my pain, or at least the break would reduce my tolerance. I had a tough time as I had to switch to a shorter acting opioid first, as switching from Methadone to Sub is known to be very difficult as Methadone is so long acting, and you have to be in moderate withdrawal to safely start Sub without precipitating an extreme withdrawal.

My pain clinic referred me to another pain clinic which had one doctor who also did some addition medicine and was able to prescribe Sub . I spent a few weeks on Oxycodone to get the Methadone out of my system, and they didn't prescribe a high enough dose, so I ended up having a lot of withdrawal. Then when I started Sub , my tolerance was still too high, so even on the max Sub dose I was having withdrawal. Many folks who can do a straight switch from their opioid do well though, and even if you have withdrawal, it is short lived and doctors often prescribe some meds that can be helpful (Clonidine for example). I ended up getting constant migraines from the Suboxone (which I was taking to treat constant severe headache...), so I was switched back to Methadone, at 1/3 of my previous dose. I've actually been doing pretty ok since then.

My insurance paid for Sub, but note that it has to be prescribed for opioid dependence (which all of us have, as that doesn't mean addiction) to get coverage, not chronic pain (as it is not FDA approved for that). I have heard that many Sub doctors don't accept insurance for visits though. They do make a Buprenorphine patch for chronic pain (Butrans), which is the same main med as Suboxone, but the dose is very very low so it won't be enough for most folks unless you were switching from low dose Vicodin or something.

One thing you need to figure out (although maybe not right away) is if you want to use Suboxone just to get off the opioids, or possibly stay on it long term, either to prevent cravings & withdrawal or possibly to also treat pain. Some folks get good pain relief with it.

I hope you reach your goals and ideally find chronic pain treatment without the current issues. Best wishes.

Reply Reply

Tags
addiction, pain management, suboxone