It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Does anyone know if the carbamazepine medication works for pain though.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
gal3323
(female)

gal3323 HB User
Does anyone know if the carbamazepine medication works for pain though.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the carbamazepine medication is good for pain ya. I may have to try it though I am not sure if it will work well for pain though. Can someone tell me more about this medication and if there are any side effects to it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Does anyone know if the carbamazepine medication works for pain though.

I suggest asking your pharmacist (or any pharmacist), as that is what they are there for - whenever you have a question about a medication.

As far as potential side effects, often that is given in the pharmacy insert with the prescription, but otherwise can be found online through a search engine as the "full prescribing information", often on the manufacturer's website. The full prescribing info also often includes the frequency of that side effect from the study on the medication, which is helpful to put it into perspective (as a medication may have many side effects, but often most of them are rare).

In general however, Carbamazepine is an anti seizure med (brand name Tegretol), that like many meds (such as anti depressants), is used off label for pain, especially nerve pain. Effectiveness of these types of meds is very variable person to person. Keep in mind that unlike a mainstream pain med (like an analgesic or an opioid), they can take weeks or months to properly trial and see any possible pain relief. Often the dose needs to be tapered up slowly to get to a therapeutic dose, and a doctor may give a patient a taper schedule, or plan to increase it at follow up visits as tolerated. Best wishes.

Reply Reply