It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Oxycodone or Hydrocone?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Karlakt
(female)

Karlakt HB User
Thumbs up Oxycodone or Hydrocone?

Which is more effective for pain relief after CMC Arthroplasty? Oxycodone 10/325 or Hydrocodeine 7.5/325?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Oxycodone or Hydrocone?

It really depends on you. Hydrocodone does zero for me painwise, and never has. Oxycodone on the other hand consistently works pretty well for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
Karlakt (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Raymon
(male)

Raymon HB User

Most pain management doctors now are going by the cdc's morphine equivalent recommendation when prescribing medications, and so the dose and frequency changes depending on which is prescribed. Each person has different tolerances to medications and you will need to work with your doctor to find what works best for you. Oxycodone is a synthetic opioid and is "by the book" stronger than hydrocodone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raymon For This Useful Post:
Karlakt (10-21-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
momzworkin
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Oxycodone didn't work for me, whereas Hydrocodone (Norco) 10/320 works great. I think it depends on the person.
09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

The Following User Says Thank You to momzworkin For This Useful Post:
Karlakt (10-21-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

Hi, oxycodone is stronger than hydrocodone, I think you would be fine with oxycodone 5, for the first few days then hydro 5 til you can switch to just Tylenol. Again it all depends on your pain tolerance and also how your body reacts to the medicine. Some people can't handle oxy, cuz it makes them nauseated especially at higher doses. Talk to your dr about meds to take in case you have stomach issues. Hope your recovery is quick and smooth

Old 10-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Karlakt
(female)

Karlakt HB User

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately, I have limited pain management options due to having stage 3 kidney disease. My doctor is allowing me to use Hydrocodone I still have on hand from past carpal tunnel pain relief, when I run out of the oxycodone, as long as I follow his specific precautionary advise. Thank you for the well wishes as I begin what I've heard is a long journey to recovery.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

Didn't know about your kidneys. Yea you have to watch what you take, the hydro 7.5 should be enough after oxycodone. I know what you mean about looong recovery, I'm going through my own right now. 3 weeks ago had left ankle ligament reconstruction, Achilles lengthening and subtalar fusion. Took oxycodone5/325 for a lil over a week, then switched to hydrocodone till last night, now I take Tylenol arthritis.

Reply Reply