It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

lost

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
davspain
(male)

davspain HB User
Question lost

just had a morphine pump installed 6 weeks ago. my pmdoc is now telling me that i have to decrease my medication down to zero stay there for six weeks then we can start to find out the lest amount to control my pain. I do understand this application but after being on oral meds for 20+ years this is hell on earth . I always considered myself a tough sob been through sum bad surgeries. this i do not think i can do. Need to know is this sop is anybody else been down this road. How u do it, I NEED SUM HELP .... my doc, though good, is not under standing me .
I know I skip lots but trying to concentrate hurts.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: davspain
gmak (12-05-2017),momzworkin (11-14-2017),tortoisegirl (11-11-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #2
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: lost

That's a strange approach.
You went through a trial before the pump was placed permanently correct? Normally, you undergo a pump trial, then if you get a successful result, the pump is later installed.
The dose requirements are much lower because the meds are delivered in micrograms, rather than milligrams. The meds are added directly into the pump, which delivers a steady dose, 24/7. The doses may be adjusted over time, but because it is delivered directly into the spinal fluid, adjustments are carefully increased to ensure you don't have negative effects.
Could that be what you may be confused about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davspain View Post
just had a morphine pump installed 6 weeks ago. my pmdoc is now telling me that i have to decrease my medication down to zero stay there for six weeks then we can start to find out the lest amount to control my pain. I do understand this application but after being on oral meds for 20+ years this is hell on earth . I always considered myself a tough sob been through sum bad surgeries. this i do not think i can do. Need to know is this sop is anybody else been down this road. How u do it, I NEED SUM HELP .... my doc, though good, is not under standing me .
I know I skip lots but trying to concentrate hurts.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
davspain (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Are you already getting any medication through the pump? If so, then it makes sense to completely get off oral meds and get a very good idea of your pain levels before increasing it more. They wouldn't want to risk giving you more than is required, and if you are getting some through the pump, then they could expect that is enough to keep withdrawal at bay.

If you are not getting any medication through the pump, then I agree with you that having to taper off and be completely off all pain meds for 6 weeks seems unreasonable. However, you may not have much of a choice. We are unfortunately at our doctor's mercy and could even be cut completely off pain meds at any time without reason.

If you are unclear of the plan, I would ask to discuss it with your doctor and ask enough questions until it is completely clear to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
davspain (11-12-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Maddawg46
(male)

Maddawg46 HB User

Im new here first day. My wife has been told the same thing yesterday. Shes been on opiates for 25 years. Morphine for 7. I was worrying about the same thing. Im on here because my wife isnt much of a forum person. Shes still in bed. Its tough on spouses also. Seems like torture to me. Im here for you. Guess we will be going thru it together

The Following User Says Thank You to Maddawg46 For This Useful Post:
davspain (11-15-2017)
Reply Reply

Tags
morphine pump, pain pump