It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Codeine into Morphine

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Erbsville11
(male)

Erbsville11 HB User
Codeine into Morphine

I have been taking tylenol1 with 8 mg of codeine and took 2 tablets for 4 days and went in to see my Dr and he did a surprise urine sample...will that small amount of codeine show up as morphine in a urine test..you can buy it without a prescription so I didn't think anything about it but failed to tell my Dr. So I am afraid tjat if it shows up as morphine that he will drop me as a patient...will that small amount for such a short time be under the cut off level?Very worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Codeine into Morphine

Codeine will likely show up, and if it is sent out for confirmatory testing , it will definitely show up. Are you supposed to be taking morphine or codeine?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Erbsville11
(male)

Erbsville11 HB User

You don't need a prescription for tylenol1 and they have 8mg of codeine in each tablet so that's what I took for the pain but forgot to tell my Dr because he rushed me out of the office.I only took 2 each morning for 4 days and he did a urine sample that day.I read that codeine comes up as morphine on a urine test so I am scared that will show up...

Old 11-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

There are different types of urine tests,
and different testing methods. In office tests typically are screens, meaning they say YES or No, when done. Most PM offices also send the urine out for confirmatory testing, which tests for metabolites that each opiate or other medication break down into..these tests can tell exactly what opiate you took, and quantity of it in your system. Especially GC/MS testing and immunoassay. Codeine does partially break down into morphine metabolites along with others, so they can tell the difference between codeine and morphine in the quantative testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbsville11 View Post
You don't need a prescription for tylenol1 and they have 8mg of codeine in each tablet so that's what I took for the pain but forgot to tell my Dr because he rushed me out of the office.I only took 2 each morning for 4 days and he did a urine sample that day.I read that codeine comes up as morphine on a urine test so I am scared that will show up...

Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Erbsville11
(male)

Erbsville11 HB User

Thank you for your response.It definitely puts my mind at ease..I was only taking 16mg of codeine so hopefully it is below the cut off level and if it does show up I will tell him I was taking tylenol1

Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #6
backhurtz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not telling the truth is going to backfire.
I am not sure you understood my response to the testing questions. An in office screen only shows positive or negative. Almost all doctors ALSO send urine tests to labs for additional testing- quantity and compliance. These tests reveal EXACTLY what you took and how much/ when.
Those tests look for metabolites ( how they are broken down in your body), and measure those. They are also used to identify each particular drug.
I would seriously reconsider your telling your doctor anything less than the TRUTH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbsville11 View Post
Thank you for your response.It definitely puts my mind at ease..I was only taking 16mg of codeine so hopefully it is below the cut off level and if it does show up I will tell him I was taking tylenol1

Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
Erbsville11
(male)

Erbsville11 HB User

Thanks.i got my test results online and it did show up saying morphine and codeine....But it did say that it could be a result from hydromorphone and hydrocodone....i am going to tell him the truth about taking tylenol1. Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Erbsville11
(male)

Erbsville11 HB User

The test was sent out to a lab for results

Old 12-25-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
chris2489
(male)

chris2489 HB User

Morphine IS an active metabolite of codeine. When they run the test the morphine makes everybody panic and make assumptions that you are taking morphine without an Rx. It's a problem.

Last edited by chris2489; 12-25-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spell

Reply Reply