It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Pain Management

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Falcon65
(male)

Falcon65 HB User
Pain Management

Are there any set in stone Pain Management criteria? I went thru the whole deal about 6 years ago I was being treated by the VA no problems I went to the local ER after a fall and he had seen me several years before after retirement and commented that I had been on Hydrocodone to long so he said let me give you 10 Oxycotin (Percocet) well 3 days later I had a VA apt I took his letter the pill bottle and showed them. The CPRN had a fit said I violated my pain management contract and threw me out no detox anything.

After a year or so a Dr come to our town and I was referred to her Blessings I was a functioning citizen again to early to celebrate she relocated they got a new doc to take her patients well I was thrown to the curb again he told me to my face that he was eliminating all the drug addicts.. Is that slanderous or liable? anyway now with all the scare going on it's next to impossible to be seen again. I was told to ask for Pain Management been that way before I was getting epidurals with multiple injection shot areas until they got to the point they would take and last a week at most or not take at all.

Long winded Old Man sheesh the question is since I am not being seen at present do I need a referral? or can I just walk up and refer myself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
tortoisegirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Pain Management

Sorry you have been through so much. Unfortunately you aren't alone in being treated unfairly. Many doctors have a real bias against anyone who takes pain meds, even patients who have had long lasting severe pain, who have tried and failed years of conventional treatments, are stable on a low dose of opioids, etc, as they are being educated that opioids are bad. I bet their mind would change if they walked a day in our shoes! I have gone in to see other doctors for non pain related reasons who have harped on me asking why I needed to take them, that they are poison, asking when I was going to taper off, etc...

Hopefully when they kicked you out for violating your contract you had actually signed a contract at one time. If I was in that scenario and hadn't signed a contract, I would be asking them to show me it. However, at the end of the day, any doctor can cut any patient off at any time for any reason.

There is only so much we can do to protect ourselves, such as keeping good records, following the rules (such as would be spelled out by a typical pain contract, like taking meds as prescribed and not accepting any other prescriptions), and saving up a small emergency supply but not telling anyone about it and not putting yourself in danger of failing a UA or coming up short on a pill count.

From what I have heard, legit pain clinics (and that is all that is left now, and they are getting few and far between) will require a referral, even if your insurance doesn't require it. Those who are getting good quality pain management with a variety of methods offered are in the minority now. Hang in there! I hope you can get some good care. Best wishes.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
chris134711
(male)

chris134711 HB User
Re: Pain Management

VA is your wisest bet now. See your primary VA doc now. He may prescribe pain med or refer you to VA's pain mgmt. If he's afraid of the VA's pressure since mid 2016, he may NOT prescribe pain meds. However in the VA guide to treating pain in small letters at the bottom, it says that individual patients may need to be treated differently. The choice to prescribe is up to the doc.

Reply Reply