It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone knows if the amitriptylin medication works for pain though. Thanks.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
    gal3323
    (female)

gal3323 HB User
    Anyone knows if the amitriptylin medication works for pain though. Thanks.

I may try the amitripylin medication for pain ya. I am not sure if it will help though. Can anyone tell me more about this medication. And if it works to help with pain though. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Anyone knows if the amitriptylin medication works for pain though. Thanks.

It is used for pain, and all you can do is try it. I used it many years ago for body pain while I was going through a spray and stretch therapy by a neurologist. I did feel better while on it.

What kind of pain are you having, and what meds have you tried?

q

Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Anyone knows if the amitriptylin medication works for pain though. Thanks.

It helps a fair amount of people and had a pretty low rate of side effects. It is an old antidepressant, but now more commonly used off label for chronic pain (especially headache, fibro, and nerve pain).

It is typically taken once a day at bedtime, and the most common issue is being sleepy/groggy when waking up. If that happens for you, try taking it 30 min earlier each night until you get a good balance (some folks can take it a few hours before bedtime and not get sedated at either end).

Your pharmacist can be a great resource to discuss any concerns as well. I also recommend reading at least the pharmacy insert, so you are aware of how to take it properly and the common possible side effects and such (just be aware that not everyone gets each side effect; the rate of each is actually quite low).

All pain treatments are trial and error. Each one won't help everyone, so unfortunately you just have to give it a try (for at least a month in this case I believe) and see if it helps you. Best wishes.

Closed Thread