It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

Spinal Cord Stimulators

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Toonces1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Spinal Cord Stimulators

Hello, I've been away for years. However, with the new medicine regulations I am needing to find more invasive treatments to handle my pain. Like probably most of you, I was cut down to 90 MMEs several months ago (I had been doing great on 150 MMEs for quite a few years). My pain doctor recommended that i get an intrathecal pump, so he referred me to a practice that does these. However, they want to do a spinal cord stimulator instead. I've heard a few comments here and there that these can be problematic and that the effects can wear off after a while. I'm currently vomiting and heaving from the pain several times a week now, often in the middle of the night when I wake up in severe pain. This also means that I end up throwing up any medicine I've taken. I cannot sustain this.

Can anyone share experiences about the SCS vs. The pump?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
deanh
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Spinal Cord Stimulators

I have had a Scs for several years. It is awesome. Dropped 80-90% in narcotics. Helps a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
Hello, I've been away for years. However, with the new medicine regulations I am needing to find more invasive treatments to handle my pain. Like probably most of you, I was cut down to 90 MMEs several months ago (I had been doing great on 150 MMEs for quite a few years). My pain doctor recommended that i get an intrathecal pump, so he referred me to a practice that does these. However, they want to do a spinal cord stimulator instead. I've heard a few comments here and there that these can be problematic and that the effects can wear off after a while. I'm currently vomiting and heaving from the pain several times a week now, often in the middle of the night when I wake up in severe pain. This also means that I end up throwing up any medicine I've taken. I cannot sustain this.

Can anyone share experiences about the SCS vs. The pump?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
momzworkin
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Re: Spinal Cord Stimulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanh View Post
I have had a Scs for several years. It is awesome. Dropped 80-90% in narcotics. Helps a lot.
deanh: How long have you had yours? How long did it take you to drop 80-90% in pain medication?

I am being offered as SCS also, but after all these years I am just not sure it will really help. It is so scary!!
09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Reply Reply

Tags
intrathecal pain pump, spinal cord stimulator