It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Urine test problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
    steve63
    (male)

steve63 HB Usersteve63 HB User
    Urine test problem

Hi All,

I've been in treatment for chronic pain for about 16 years now. My chief problems have been herniated discs and fibromyalgia. I started with my current pain management doctor in 2010. At that time I was taking Gabapentin (prescribed by my neurologist for the fibromyalgia), Percocet and Tramadol (the latter two prescribed by pain management doctor). In addition I started getting injections every 3 months which continue now.

Around 2014 my neurologist told me that I didn't need to continue seeing him for regular appointments. He told me I could keep taking the Gabapentin as long as I needed it and that I should just call him for refills if I needed them. He also told me if I wanted to stop taking it I could just wean off whenever I wanted. I had been taking Gabapentin for 12 years and tapered off several times so he know I was capable of self managing any tapers.

About a year later I felt like the fibromyalgia symptoms were quieting down enough that I could get off the Gabapentin so gradually tapered off it.

Around 2016 my pain management doctor told me he needed to reduce the amount of Percocet he could give me due to new guidelines. Shortly after that I decided to just stop taking Percocet altogether and rely only on Tramadol.

Even for the Tramadol, I reduced my dose in half and am now taking 150mg per day total (at one point I was taking 300mg per day).

So since about 2016 I have been only taking Tramadol for pain.

This past Sept 1st I started a new diet called Keto. It's basically a very low carb diet. Within a couple of days ALL my fibro symptoms were back in full force. It was so bad I couldn't sleep. I then remembered I still had the old Gabapentin meds hanging around and so I took one. Even though they were expired they still worked so I started taking one each night for about a week. At some point in that week I figured out that it was the diet causing the fibro symptoms, so I stopped the diet and within a few days the symptoms were gone so I stopped taking the Gabapentin.

At one point during that same first week of Sep, I went in for one of my regular injections and had my routine urine test. A few days later I got a call from my doctor's office saying there was a problem with Gabapentin showing in my urine. I was puzzled at first since to my knowledge Gabapentin was not a scheduled drug but evidently unknown to me it was made a scheduled med sometime in 2017. So now my doctor wants me to come in to discuss my failed urine test and I'm concerned I will get dismissed as a patient.

How was I supposed to know Gabapentin had become a scheduled med? It was legally prescribed to me as a non scheduled med at the time, and my neurologist told me I could take it as I saw fit. Is taking a scheduled medication illegal if the medication expired, particular if the med was NOT scheduled when prescribed? Does anyone here understand the laws regarding this?

At this point I plan to bring the old Gabapentin bottle in with me when I go to see my pain doctor. At least he can see it was legally prescribed prior to 2017. I just hope I didn't go anything illegal...it NEVER occurred to me that a med like Gabapentin would ever become a scheduled drug so I didn't think twice about taking even though I have regular urine tests due to Tramadol use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Urine test problem

I would get a letter from the doctor who prescribes you Gabapentin to take with you explaining that he prescribed it and why.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Urine test problem

I didn't realise that about gabapentin.
    Have you tried Lyrica or Cymbalta? I wonder if they will help with your pain?

q

Closed Thread