It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Hysingla ER weaning

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
    SLOWBUTSURE63
    (female)

SLOWBUTSURE63 HB User
    Question Hysingla ER weaning

Want to get off Hysingla 40 mg. 1 x day plus Lortab 10/325 4 x day for breakthru. I really don't know what may be different about weaning off of the long acting Hysingla. I weaned myself off of 600 mg. of MS Contin (yup, 600 mg.) with MD permission. Also have permission to stop Hysingla/Lortab just don't really know the best way to do it. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Hysingla ER weaning

Please check with your doctor but everything I have read says to wean down by 25% every 3 days..I wouldn't try it without double checking with your doctor first. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 AM   #3
    tortoisegirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
    Re: Hysingla ER weaning

Even if your doctor has given you permission, please work with them on the specifics, such as schedule and dosages. If available, you could ask about a lower dose of the Hysingla ER, and taper using that, but often they don't make many different dosages. Or, ask to switch the Hysingla ER to an equivalent daily amount of a short acting med which is available in low dose pills. Short acting pills have the bonus of being able to be split, which you must avoid with the long acting ones. Short acting meds may be logistically easier to taper off, and allow you to taper more slowly, but could increase the chance of withdrawal in between doses, as they aren't as stable in your system.

Any way you do it, work with your doctor, and go very slowly. Keep in mind that you want to look at dropping a percentage of the total dose, not a certain number of milligrams. If you drop the same number of milligrams each week or whatever period of time, over time, the percentage drop will become larger and larger. Plus it is typically the end once you are down to a small dose when it becomes difficult anyways.

Some doctors instruct a patient to drop X mg per week (because that is the easiest to schedule and work with dosages), so if your doctor wants to set up a taper schedule like that, try to nicely ask how that will work once you are down to a total dose of only several times the X mg. A 25% drop is probably too much at one time. Usually folks have better results doing a smaller drop more often vs. big drops, but everyone will respond differently.

You just want to give it enough time between drops for your system to catch up, especially if you taper a long acting med. It is likely ideal to taper off the long acting med first, than the short acting one, to allow you to have something to take if you get significant withdrawal symptoms all of a sudden or a pain spike. Good luck! Best wishes.

Reply Reply