It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycodone not working

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 AM   #1
    Linda4914
    (female)

Linda4914 HB User
    Question Oxycodone not working

Hi everyone,
    I am new here; this is my first post.
    I have had several health problems. My latest is spinal stenosis lasting effects from a broken ankle {2yrs ago} The doctor said I have severe arthritis and stenosis in L3 and L 4. I am taking three oxycodone 5/325 per day and all of a sudden they are not helping. They look a little different as well. They used to have blue speckles in them and the script I just picked up yesterday does not have the blue in them. These are the ones that do not seem to work. I do not know if it is possible for the pharmacy to have fake meds.
    My doctor wants me to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted. Since I have a pacemaker/defibrillator implant, I am afraid that the spinal cord stimulator may interfere with my pacer/defib. Getting shocked by the defib is very painful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Oxycodone not working

Dear Linda,

I am so sorry this happened to you!
    You already know they do not work for you, so I suggest that you not take anymore of them so you can show you still have them.

Brand names and generics can affect one very differently than other brand names or generics. Never believe anyone that says otherwise. I for one get very negative reactions to fillers that are added to generic meds to make them different enough to by law distinguish them from name brands. I had one pharmacist tell me that there is no difference whatsoever between drugs and generics. He was either a liar or ignorant and the pharmacy manager gave me my money back since my prescription clearly stated the brand name.

It's 'possible' the drug company changed its formula. but I pretty much doubt that is what happened. It seems that you may have been given a generic or different brand. I suggest that you go in to the pharmacy and ask for the brand name of the medication that you just got so you can compare the brand name of what you used to get. I would tell them the new drug looks very different from the drug you used to get and it does not work. You also can compare brands by using www.drugs.com.

Really hon, if needed please also get opinion outside your medical group ASAP regarding the spinal cord stimulator possibly interfering with the pacer/defib, because docs in a medical group tend to stand by each other, which is fine, but is not always in our best interest. You may need to call your insurance company to make that request.

In my opinion, we know our own body best, and I suggest that you listen to your gut instincts. You can change your mind if you get info that convinces you.

Let me know what happens and what you decide.

Hugs,

Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
    Linda4914
    (female)

Linda4914 HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. In the meantime I called the pharmacy and they told me that this was a different manufacturer. I wonder if I can take the pills back to store and ask for the other or maybe go to walmart or publix and have them filled there. Would I sound stupid if I asked another pharmacy who the manufacturer would be?
    Yes, great idea on the spinal cord stimulator. I will ask my electrphysicologist ranther than the pain clinic doctors.
    You have been very helpful and kind.

The following user gives a hug of support to Linda4914:
    yayagirl (01-22-2019)
    Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Linda,

You are very welcome.

Asking questions is good, no worries!
    You do need to know the manufacturer of the pills that did work, and it would be good to know the manufacturer of the pills that did not work. Because you want to avoid this happening again. Some generic items really make no significant difference. But I find that many times manufacturer info is critical. Drug and food differences are really significant. So yes find out the manufacturer and the exact drug label information. Usually drug companies have info that can be printed out and given to you by the pharmacist.

It is my own experience that it helps to first let the drug store manager know what happened and ask what he can do to help before you go to the pharmacy. They have to just follow the law, and there is no need to have to argue with a pharmacist whether the drug is really the same. You need to return the pills you did not take and to get a refund on those, plus make sure that you have a return receipt that shows what was returned so you can show your doctor and anyone else that is concerned.

I am so sorry you need the med and now have to go through this. In my experience many times store personnel believe the drug is exactly the same. But be calm and a solution can be worked out.

Manufacturers by law cannot exactly replicate any other businesses' product. They cannot by law exchange the pills after taken from the pharmacy. But talk to the manager and explain that the med has absolutely no effect on you and that you want to return what you did not use. Ask what can be done and if you need to get a new prescription from your doctor (which is most likely what will need to be done and you need to prove to your doctor what you returned).

And, hon, you are not under any obligation to get a spinal cord simulator or anything offered to you. Listen to your own reasoning and make your own decisions. You can always decide to try it later after you have all the facts, if you decide to.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
    Linda4914
    (female)

Linda4914 HB User

You are a fantastic person taking the time to concern yourself with my issues. I thank you so much. I will proceed as you outlined and keep you apprised of the situation.
    Thank You

yayagirl (01-22-2019)
    Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
    Linda4914
    (female)

Linda4914 HB User

Hello YaYa
    I phoned my doctor today, and they said to bring the pills into their office, and they will write me a new script stating the correct manufacturer. Problem solved, thank you very much.

yayagirl (01-22-2019)
    Old 01-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Linda,

You have an extraordinary doctor! So many other professionals act as if the patient is at fault or that they can't resolve the problem.

Good for you, Linda! and Kudos to your doctor!
    I am so happy for you!

Hugs,

The following user gives a hug of support to yayagirl:
    Linda4914 (01-23-2019)
    Reply Reply