It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Sever knee pain after epidural

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
    Railroad Man
    (male)

Railroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB User
    Sever knee pain after epidural

Has anyone ever experienced sever knee pain from an epidural injections ?? I had an epidural injection in my lower back on 9-25-19, the dr hit a nerve and about made me jump off the table. It really didnít start affecting me until a couple of months ago. I have not been to a dr yet, but the pain has started radiating down my left leg to my knee and causing sever pain if I stand up for long periods of time. Every morning I get up and have to lean up against a ice pack and elevate my left knee to a straight out position, & then it stops. Norco 7.5/325 does not affect the pain very much either. Now I have had both knees replaced. Has anyone had any problems like this before & what was done for pain relief. I would like to avoid any surgery if possible.
    Thanks for any of your suggestions...

The Following User Says Thank You to Railroad Man For This Useful Post:
    Tibenabvi (04-09-2020)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
    Re: Sever knee pain after epidural

Hi, I’m so sorry for the late reply. How are you feeling now? Better I hope. The steroid medication in Epidural steroid injections is intended to be delivered out of the needle into the epidural space which is above or before the dura, the outer covering of the sac that contains the cauda equina or lower spinal cord and the spinal fluid. Occasionally even with the dr using fluoroscopy to see where the needle is placed the dura can accidentally be penetrated by the needle and the needle itself or the steroid medication can go intradurally and the spinal nerve roots that make up the cauda equina that are floating in spinal fluid they usually float away from the needle but other times a nerve root can be in an unanticipated or unexpected place from scarring, previous back procedures or surgery or just from individual anatomy and a spinal nerve root can be injured. Is your pain dr aware that you got the sharp pain and that the radiating pain has continued? When this unfortunately occurs in order to prevent inflammatory reactions from starting some drs have written medical journal articles and have treatment protocols of administering oral or IV corticosteroids, given within a certain time period after the initial incident or injury, i think I recall it’s best if started sooner but of course the dr would know best, and treatment is for varying lengths of time depending on severity of the pain and injury to help the patients. I would try to see a dr knowledgeable about the spine like a neurologist or neurosurgeon or an spine orthopedic surgeon but a family dr or pcp may be helpful too. Hope you are feeling much better.

Reply Reply