It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• chronic nausea and abnominal pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
    nomeg222

nomeg222 HB User
    chronic nausea and abnominal pain

My husband has been suffering from chronic nausea and abdomen pain for 2 yrs now. He has actually become disabled by the condition. He sometimes takes pain killers in the morning because the pain and nausea seems worse in the morning (but the relief is only for about a hour and then it seems to make his nausea even worse (than were off to the emergency room). He has had almost every test including the following: 2 upper endoscopies, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, 24 hr manometry, holter monitor test, 3 barium swallows, sonogram of the abdomen and kidneys, dozens of chest x- rays and ekgs, ivp test, 2 HIV test, blood works, MRI and Cat scans of abdomen chest and brain, sickle cel, colonic study, gastro emptying test, Video esophagram, Pulmonary test, Ent scope, diabetes test all were normal except he was diagnosed w/h pylori in which he took nexium and biaxin for 2 weeks (He's allergic to penicillin) and also he has chronic non erosive gastritis and esophagitis (which all his Drs seem to think wouldn't cause this much pain). 2 Doctors told him to even start seeking pain management help. We went to one place who gave him morphine and dilaudid and a pain patch- all causing him even more nausea. He and I have hsv igg antibody 1 and 2 at low ranges (which no Dr seems to be concerned about especially since either of us ever had any cold sores or outbreaks). We were told it could have even been contracted as a child (especially since we are in a monogamist relationship and still practice safe sex).. The only other procedure was that he had his gallbladder removed last year in June which they though might have been the root of his problem which turned out to be to no avail. He has even been to a psychiatric facility in which the drug clonazepam seem to have worked for about 1 to 2 months but then just stopped working although he still takes it sometimes because of chest pain and lightheadedness he gets after stomach pain and nausea radiates (he also took paxil and celexa and both seemed to upset his stomach once the dosage went over 10mgs). We recently noticed that phenergan worked intravenously when we went for his last couple of ER visits but it doesn't work orally by prescription at all ( we even wondered if this was due to his chronic esophagitis that maybe some of his medicine seem to work intravenously and not at all orally). We also just read that ativan could help with nausea. We are running out of answers but are thinking of going to another pain management facility.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
    Wes1212
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB UserWes1212 HB User
    Re: chronic nausea and abnominal pain

a doctor once told me that normal doses of benadryl would work for acute nausea.

Last edited by Wes1212; 11-25-2003 at 07:16 AM.

Old 11-25-2003, 05:41 AM   #3
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: chronic nausea and abnominal pain

I had gastritis after using antibiotics and the Gastro put me on several Proton Pump Inhibitors but they didn't work.

An alternative care Medical Doctor put me on an OTC medicatin called Mastica and a probiotic supplement PB-8. and in 2 week the gastritis was cured.

Mastic gum has been used for hundreds of years in Greece and Turkey for Gastro problems. You may want to do a search and do some reading about it but It just may be worth a try???

Lack of Magnesium in your diet can cause cramping as well as spasms in the abdomen!!!

I certainly wish you well--Harry

Old 11-27-2003, 08:25 AM   #4
    Shelleyuk

Shelleyuk HB User
    Re: chronic nausea and abnominal pain

Hi again Nomeg, Have jsut read your husbands story. Have they ever mentioned Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction to you?
    Regards
    Shelley

Closed Thread