It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Vicodin vs Tramadol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
    Red Sox Fan

Red Sox Fan HB User
    Vicodin vs Tramadol

My Doc wants me to start taking Tramadol instead of Vicodin for my knee pain.

Does Tramadol have any of the "nicer" side effects that Vicodin seems to have? I.E. calmness, "high" feeling etc etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
    grb

grb HB User
    Re: Vicodin vs Tramadol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Sox Fan
    My Doc wants me to start taking Tramadol instead of Vicodin for my knee pain.

Does Tramadol have any of the "nicer" side effects that Vicodin seems to have? I.E. calmness, "high" feeling etc etc.
    Yes Tramadol does make you feel good. I take it for shoulder pain because my stomach cannot tolerate Vicoden or Codeine and Tramadol does not bother it. I find that I really look forward to taking them and have had to discipline myself not to take it too much.
    They really can get me in a good mood.
    You can fine a lot of discussion on the various boards here about Tramadol/Ultram.
    For me they work great for controlling pain with little side effects.
    grb

Old 12-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Sorry in advance if I took your post wrong, but the whole idea of medication is to help relieve the pain...not make you get that "good" feeling by getting high. That is the sure road to addiction and abuse. I would re-think the way you use your meds.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 12-31-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
    grb

grb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carol632
    Sorry in advance if I took your post wrong, but the whole idea of medication is to help relieve the pain...not make you get that "good" feeling by getting high. That is the sure road to addiction and abuse. I would re-think the way you use your meds.
    Carol
    Tramadol does a great job managing my mild to severe shoulder pain, without any side effects, that I notice. I never take more than prescribed in fact I usually take less. When I do take them, it relieves the pain and makes me feel good. Double pleasure. What's wrong with that? I have been taking tramadol for more than a year and never taken more than prescribed. I hardly feel that is any road to addiction.
    I have read a lot of posts about how addictive it is. If it's so addictive why is that if I don't take any for a week I don't feel any withdrawels? I think most of the folks that find it a bad drug must have extemely abused it. Then it gets a bad name because of that. I am glad there is a mild painkiller like Tramadol available to help with my shoulder pain.
    grb

Last edited by grb; 12-31-2003 at 06:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to grb For This Useful Post:
    katie95610 (05-15-2012)
    Old 12-31-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
    Red Sox Fan

Red Sox Fan HB User

By taking pain killers for my pain...the good feelings that come along with it are normal...it's called not being in pain and being more productive and happier because of it.

I fail to see how that's abuse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Red Sox Fan For This Useful Post:
    katie95610 (05-15-2012)
    Old 01-01-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
    jenny1973

jenny1973 HB User

Hi..
    I take tramadol for back pain. I use to take vicodin, and even though it did the job I found myself having to take more and more to relieve the pain. I was afraid of becoming addicted or "abusing the med" not because of the high feeling but because it wasn't helping like it use too. I decided to switch to ultram/tramadol since it was a non-narcotic. It works great for me and the relief lasts way longer then the vicodin. As far as the "high" feeling I think I just feel "good & productive" on it. Its not exactly the same as vicodin but relatively close. I was quite suprised. I have heard that it may be raised to a narcotic because it apparently can be addictive. I like it because as I said before it last longer. I only have to take 2 50mg pills every 6 hours and sometimes I can even go longer. With the vicodin I was having to take 10mg every 3 hours and I felt I was always counting the minutes cause the pain would be back after 2 hours. Anyway I much prefer it. jenny

Old 01-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Sorry....so sorry. I apologized in advance if I misread the post and apparently I did! I was concerned that you were looking for something to make you have a "nice" feeling as you put it. I am a big advocate for pain relief...certainly the last person to be against pain meds. I have been taking them for 20 years now! It was just the wording of the post that caught my attention and I was simply concerned. Again, please accept my apology as I meant only to make you aware. I'm sorry...I'm sorry.
    Carol
    Thats the problem with written communications like this....so easy to misread as you cannot see nor hear inflections. Dang, I feel lousy.
    morphine pump

Old 01-03-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
    grb

grb HB User

Quote:
    Sorry....so sorry. I apologized in advance if I misread the post and apparently I did! I was concerned that you were looking for something to make you have a "nice" feeling as you put it. I am a big advocate for pain relief...certainly the last person to be against pain meds. I have been taking them for 20 years now! It was just the wording of the post that caught my attention and I was simply concerned. Again, please accept my apology as I meant only to make you aware. I'm sorry...I'm sorry.
    Carol
    Thats the problem with written communications like this....so easy to misread as you cannot see nor hear inflections. Dang, I feel lousy.
    Cheer up Carol........No big deal.

grb

Old 01-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #9
    Red Sox Fan

Red Sox Fan HB User

Yeah, no worries. We are all here to help each other and you intentions were noble.

Cheers and hope you're in a warm climate!

Old 01-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Sox Fan
    Yeah, no worries. We are all here to help each other and you intentions were noble.

Cheers and hope you're in a warm climate!
    Hi Red Sox Fan,

So now everyone has me freaking out about "Vicodin". This is unusual but I take it for "IBS" which by accident after being on it for my knee surgery discovered that this helps my condition. It has increased the quality of my life since I am now able to travel and enjoy my life without running into the bathroom all the time. As a bonus it helps with my back pain. I take no more than 2 a day and am very careful since I know it can be habit forming. My doctor told me since I only take 2 a day not to worry. But being a bit obsessive and after reading some of these messages I am worrying again. Any thoughts would be helpful.. All the other medication I have read about is also habit forming and have bad side effects. Since this is working I don't want to give it up if I don't have to.

Thank you.

LIND

Old 01-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #11
    Red Sox Fan

Red Sox Fan HB User

Hi,

Most people here are overly cautious about developing a dependency.

I take Vicodin for my knee and love it. There is nothing wrong with it. Nowhere is it written that one is supposed to be miserable but free of pain.

All meds have side effects and some of the side effects I get from Vicodin are great mental feelings, clarity, energy and enhanced good moods. If I started taking another med that helped with the pain but made me depressed and angry all the time I wouldn't want to take it anymore.

As long as one is able to control taking it and the first reason for taking it is pain everything else that comes with it is gravy. Just icing on the cake.

Of course, I'm no doctor and my thinking could all be a rationalization attempt to continue taking a drug that makes me feel good.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Lind, there is no reason to give up the vicodin. You are not abusing it in any way. Yes, there is always concern when we take narcotics but statistics prove that few people ever become "addicted" when using them properly. You are doing that and there is no need for concern. I have been using narcotic meds for 20 years; when I got the morphine pump, I went off them for the most part and I had no problems either physical or mental. When used properly, they are virtually life-saving; please don't be afraid to take your meds any more than you would be afraid to take blood pressure pills. I hope this helps set your mind at ease.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 01-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #13
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Quote:
    Lind, there is no reason to give up the vicodin. You are not abusing it in any way. Yes, there is always concern when we take narcotics but statistics prove that few people ever become "addicted" when using them properly. You are doing that and there is no need for concern. I have been using narcotic meds for 20 years; when I got the morphine pump, I went off them for the most part and I had no problems either physical or mental. When used properly, they are virtually life-saving; please don't be afraid to take your meds any more than you would be afraid to take blood pressure pills. I hope this helps set your mind at ease.
    Carol
    Carol,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will stop obsessing about it. I sincerely appreciate your input.

LIND

Old 01-08-2004, 08:16 PM   #14
    kim32

kim32 HB User

Hi, i have been taking ultram/tramadol
    since last may for my nerve pain, and
    the side effect that i get is migraine
    headaches :-(
    tramadol is the only pain med that i can
    take without making me sick and the doctor's
    tell me that there's nothing else that i can
    go on without going on a strong narcotic
    (which i don't want).
    i just recently saw another doctor being that
    my primary doctor whom i have been seeing
    since last may is going to be off for 6 months
    due to a family issue, and i told this new doctor
    about my migraine headaches (my regular doctor
    didnt know what to do, all she said was to cut
    down taking the ultram through out the day, which
    i take only 3 at the most a day to help with my
    nerve pain)
    well this new doctor prescribed me "atenolol"
    for my migraine headaches and he says that it
    will help also with my depression and anxiety and lower
    my blood pressure (i have never had high blood
    pressure before
    until my chronic pain started)
    he told me tho that it will take a good couple of weeks
    before it takes in effect, GREAT!! :-(
    i have been on it now for 6 days (I'm suppose to take
    1 pill a day right before i go to bed)
    well my headaches have lowered some but it's still
    there, i'm hoping within another week that my migraines
    will be gone. I hate having to deal with my nerve pain
    and now i have to deal with headaches.
    i told the doctor that i think that the ultram is making me
    get these headaches, but he thinks either that's whats causing
    it or that my blood pressure being high and that i'm depressed
    and have anxiety could cause headaches also.
    so i'm not too sure, but i think that it's the ultram,
    because that's when my headaches started right when i started
    taking it back in may.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of anyone
    getting headaches from taking tramadol/ultram?
    It's one pain over another! UGH!
    Oh i gave my 2 weeks notice at work this past
    monday, I really liked my job and didn't want to quit
    but trying to concentrate while being in pain
    was just hopeless.
    my boss told me that whenever i would want to come
    back (whenever my pain lets up) that she would give
    me a job in a heartbeat, so that's good to hear huh?
    now applying for disability is going to be the hard
    part, trying to prove that I'm in pain.
    has anyone had problems trying to get disability
    when you can't prove that your in pain, i guess they
    can call up my doctor and talk to her or look at all of
    my medical records on how many times that i have
    complained about my pain.
    Kim

Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #15
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

hi lind i too was taking vicodin for neck arm and sholder pain from my c2 to c7 dics problems then after a year it stopped working so dr switched me to tramadol i found that everytime i took it it would ease the pain a little but also i got bad headaches ahortly aftr taking it after a month i stopped taking it and the headaches went away i told the dr and he switched me to darvocet that did not give me relief from pain but i discovered by accident a med that worked wonders for my pain it was after i had an abcessed tooth pulled that the dentist gave me a script for 60 1/650 percocet for the pain after oral surgery it not only took the gum pain away to my surprise it made my neck shoulder and arm pain go away woow a miracle drug for me so i told the dr what happened and he put me on that and have been on oxycodone ever since although it has been titratrated up from 10/6504 times a day to 15mg roxicodone 4 x a day w 5mg 2x aday for bt after 3 years has done wonders for me
    bob

Closed Thread