It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• $$$, Insurance, and the Lidoderm Patch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User
    $$$, Insurance, and the Lidoderm Patch

Hey all,

I know I've asked in the past about the retail cost of the Lidoderm (lidocaine) Patch, and sure enough it was in the hundreds. For a few months now I've had to constantly ask my PM's office for more free samples of them, as they've actually proved to be a good help for the burning pain I have all around my right shoulder area due to nerve damage. The problem has always been, while I've appreciated all they were able to get for me, it's never been enough. It says you can wear up to 3 at a time per day, and I could always use to wear at least 2, but have barely ever had enough for just 1 per day. And I have my discounts I get on RXs through my People's Prescription Plan, but I doubt they'd take that much off to make it viable.

Anyway, through a new job I've since started to have some indication that real, normal health insurance may be available for me in the near future (as opposed to the Medicaid I've meanwhile been applying for, an epic ludicrous journey in itself, and I don't know fully what that would bring me anyway). The only conventional coverage I've ever had in my working life was during my two years at Sony/Columbia Studios in LA, where I had Aetna. It always seemed great to me, and I often had more experienced people remarking on how it was a fantastic plan. So, if this indeed happens for me, I'm hoping that anyone who uses the Lidoderm Patches with any sort of regularity, and with normal coverage like Aetna (or Blue Cross, etc), how much would I be looking at to pay for an actualy script of them? Say for a month's supply, 60 I suppose? Does it end up being the same amount you pay for any other bottle of pills? (for instance, when I had Aetna, my normal copay for scripts was $10 for generic, and $15 for brand I think. Am I right in assuming the patches would still fall under that category?)

Thanks for your help

The Following User Says Thank You to tyler7 For This Useful Post:
    magillicuddy (07-12-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
    Kaylbe

Kaylbe HB User
    Re: $$$, Insurance, and the Lidoderm Patch

Prescription copays generally cover a 30-day supply of that medication. Sometimes, however, the insurance company will have a limit on what encompasses a 30-day supply of a particular drug.

For instance, I use Duragesic patches, which are normally prescribed one patch every 72-hours or 10 patches per month. My doctor has adjusted that dose down to one patch every 48-hours or 15 patches per month, which is the maximum my insurance will pay for each month. A special insurance authorization must be obtained yearly by my doctor with justification for the increased dose.

15 Duragesic patches, by the way, retail for over $600 where I live. Quite expensive also...

--Kaylbe

Old 01-10-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

tyler,

I was rxed the Lido patches while in Rehab after my last surgery.I was sent home with quite a few ,so I didn't need to fill my Rx right away.So I was really surprised when I went to pick up the Rx when I finally needed it filled and it was twice the normal cost of my normal co-pay.We normally pay 12.00 for a regular Rx so this one was 24.00.It wouldn't be so bad but I am on multiple meds since my surgery and my son had a liver Tx three years ago so our Rxes are pretty spendy when you put them all together at the end of the month.After finding out just what the retail cost of these patches are,I guess I don't feel to bad about paying the 24.00.I was given a months supply.it comes in this big bag type thing with a wierd looking zipper deal across the top.I was rxed 30.I put these (one a day)across my L shoulder blade for extreme burning/stinging. I have since been Dxed with central pain syndrome caused by nerve damage during my surgery.it has also spread to my L forearm and up the back of that arm,and my R leg.I wanted to save some money, and the areas that now needed coverage were just not doable with the patches anymore so I had my doc Rx the gel.That was the normal price of my regular Rxes.I also was Rxed Doxipin cream by my rehab doc and this actually works much more effectively than the gel.I was rather surprised about that.If you are having the intensity of burning that I am experiencing, nothing really works to get rid of the pain,but the Doxipin really does manage to take just a little bit of the edge off.Just a thought.I don't know what the actual retail price is,but it has to be much cheaper than the Lido patches. Marcia

The following user gives a hug of support to feelbad:
    magillicuddy (07-12-2011)
    Old 01-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
    Wittesea
    Inactive

Wittesea HB User

Hi, I am on Lidoderm patches and I pay a $20 copay for 30 of them because it is a name brand, if there was a generic available, it would only be $10.

I get unlimited refills, and I am allowed to use up to 3 per day, but luckily, I don't need to use them that often, because that would be $60 a month for me... although I did talk to my doc about that, and she said that if I need to use them more often that she would put a quantity of 60 or 90 on the Rx so that I could get either 60 or 90 for $20....

I just did a search, and Endo Pharmaceuticals (the makers of Lidoderm) do have a patient assistance program for Lidoderm patches...

[url]http://www.pharmhelp.info/Endo.html[/url]

I hope that helps.

~Wittesea

ps- I am assuming that it is ok to post that link, since the sticky post at the top has links to other patient assistance programs.

Last edited by Wittesea; 01-10-2004 at 10:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 01-11-2004, 04:31 AM   #5
    deerme

deerme HB User

I have Traditional Blue Ins. Under my wifes plan I pay 30.00 for 90 patches.

Old 01-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to say thank you for all your replies. It's a big relief to know that should I reach the point, these patches might be just the same price (about) as any other script I'd get.

And especially to the person who mentioned about them coming in the big zipper bag, I had kind of wondered about that. After all, the free samples I get is a box about the size of a steno note pad, and that has just 2 patches in it (10x14cm), and its quite a handful when I can even score 8 boxes (so 16 patches). I was curious how 60 or even 90 would come packaged

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
    were2alike
    (female)

were2alike HB User

Hey How are you I just like to make a comment on lidoderm patch with my insurance the cost is $200 thats the copay at a drug store pharmacy and at my clinic pharmacy its $130 copay but you get 30 patches I sure gona buy it so I can stop taking so much pain pills I have them on hold at my clinic pharmacy they hold the prescription for 6 months.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

yep,they only come in the box of 30 now. back then(this post is actually from 2004) they were packaged very differently. i am still using them as we speak,they have just helped with so many different bad areeas of pain i still have. and they do NOT lose their effectiveness over time either. i still obtain the very same level of relief now as i did back then. so thats a good thing to know. my co pay for them tho is now actually 50.00 a pop vs the 24.00 back in 04. but still worth it for what they offer me with pain control.

one other nice thing about just the lido patches is that you can cut these to fit a smaller area if needed? so you do not waste any patch when you only need a smaller area of coverage. you just cannot do that with some types of patches. good luck with them. that lido ointment(just actually called 'lidocaine ointment 5%")s also a big help for areas you just cannot fit an actual patch like my hairline at the base of my skull? works pretty good and cheaper too. just an idea for ya. marcia

Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
    backman01
    (male)

backman01 HB Userbackman01 HB User

I just started lidoderm patch, i got 60 patches 30 per box for $644.00 here in
    central pa, comp paid .Rick

Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
    tsimonetti
    (female)

tsimonetti HB User
    Thumbs down Re: $$$, Insurance, and the Lidoderm Patch

My insurance copay for a 30-day supply is $60. My normal co-pay is only $10. It is amazing how much insurance charges when you are trying to go the "holistic" way. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the $$$$s. My doc also put me on 7.5 mg of Mobic 2x day for the inflammation. It is non-steroidal with minimal side effects. I had a script for 60 pills (1 month supply). Went to get the script filled and guess what? My insurance would only cover a total of 30 pills (15 day supply) in any 90-day period!!!! Unbelievable! I pay $600/month for health insurance, don't have any health issues other than the pain from my C6 and C7 disk issue and don't take any other prescriptions. Always try to take the holistic way out. Don't like drugs. Insurance WILL pay $$$ if I want to get hooked on a pharmaceuticals or get cut up in surgery, but WONT pay if I try the healthy way. Go figure!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
    jcookiesss
    (female)

jcookiesss HB User

I have BC and my co-pay is $50 my meds run from 0 to 20-15 or 30$. $50 is for brand name meds. Don't forget that you can cut the patches into three different sizes and always ask your doctor for a ninety day supply.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

this thread is from 2004. You probably won't get an answer.
    a good rule is to check the date on top of the name on the left and it will have the date that the thread started.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #13
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Meloxicam is a $4 prescription at walmart, kmart etc - take your Rx there!

Closed Thread