It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Sorry, 1 more Question re: my tooth & H/A's problem & pain meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User
    Sorry, 1 more Question re: my tooth & H/A's problem & pain meds

Well those of you who have been following this, let me first say thank you all so much for your input and support. And considering all I've said up til now, you may find it just as shocking as I have that I did not have one single severe acute h/a today, Wednesday. I had some general grumblings, stuff that I noticed for awhile, but I had plenty of periods during the day where I felt no h/a pain at all. That hasn't happened for almost 2wks. And even my tooth was better, I only had to apply the Orajel about 4 times (as opposed to as much as 12 times/day before). Unbelievable.

That emergency appt I was to have with my PM last night, that I talked about here I think.... well, it went less than satisfying. I'm not gonna go into the whole story, but to say it's never been more clear that I need a new PM doc. The insurance is ALL that's holding me back. If I hadn't of stepped up and defended the fact that I've been doing all that I could lately to get things together, I think he would've pretty much said 'I'm done with you." He gave me something that sounded like Voltrim, or something like that, he said it's like Motrin only stronger. "I'm not writing any more narcotics". I just hope he didn't mean AT ALL, as in not even any more Methadone for my usual nerve pain when I have my normal appt in about 2 wks. But I think he just meant 'additional' ones.

Anyway, today was not just good for having much less of this new pain, but that I've got a line in on getting my tooth extraction done at a local college's dental school, and it's not too terribly expensive. And as long as I come up with the money, I can pretty much go whenever I want (as in VERY soon). A very beneficial phone call, it was.

But my main question right now, it's clear that my PM will NOT write for any narcs to deal with a dental problem. Now, as I mentioned before, when I called back and told my dentist that was tooth was getting worse before, he wrote me 10 Vicodin ES's. So at least I know he's okay with RXing SOME narcs. BUT, when I have this extraction done, I'd imagine I'll be in quite a bit of pain for at least a few days after that. (when I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed couple yrs ago, the dentist gave me 30 Percs) So, it seems clear to me that my dentist will be the one that has to give me more for post-extraction (unless I'd get them somehow from the Dental School, but I'm doubting that since they're students).

Problem is, where my tolerance level is right now, those Vic ES's didnt do very much. And I'm sure the pain I'll be in post-extract will be at least as bad as it has been before today. Now, I'm sorry because I realize this is a fairly obscure, specific question, but I"m looking for experience here on this. Has anyone ever, from being tolerant to pain meds to a certain degree from dealing with a kind of pain with you PM (or Neuro), then had a completely different pain, and successfully gotten meds from that other doc (lets say...hmm... a dentist that were strong enough to really help you, considering how tolerant you were? In other words, with the dentist giving me only Vic ES before, I'm worried that, having to deal with this pain post op, and with my 2 Meth a day not helping me with that, that much, that the dentist will be hestitant to give me something stronger, which obviously I would need for at least a few days (especially since I'm basically new to him, even though he's been treating my mom for a few years). Do you see what I mean? I guess I have to have an in-person talk with him, I have to just lay out my situation for him and hope he understands, that I would need something like Perc 10's or something. Because if he's just set on giving me another 10 Vic ES, I'm screwed.

Ok, thanks everyone. Sorry for the length

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 06:03 AM   #2
    Josie115
    Inactive

Josie115 HB User
    Re: Sorry, 1 more Question re: my tooth & H/A's problem & pain meds

Hi Meredith,

Once that tooth is gone you'll feel a world of difference in regards to pain. I wouldn't worry about having enough pain medication for that. Follow directions for after care and you should be fine. My good friend is a dentist and he rarely prescibes more than 10 vicodan to anyone for tooth extractions. They are very cautious and to be honest, once the tooth is gone..you're good to go. Go, get it out!!

Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
    ruko4
    (male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
    Re: Sorry, 1 more Question re: my tooth & H/A's problem & pain meds

Hi, I had a very painful dental problem as well, I think it was the same as yours and at the time and currently I am on Oxycontin 40mg tid, percocet for bt pain, and Elavil hs.Even taking extra percocet 4 of them did nothing, the only thing that worked pretty good believe it or not was a very strong anti-inflammatory called Toradol(Ketorolac) most dental problems Dentists will prescribe weak narc's along with a strong or sometimes weak depending on situation anti-inflammatories, because in all situations like these there is inflammation in and around the teeth.Some people will only take the Perc's, Tylenol#3or#4, Talwin, or Demerol prescribed but taking the anti-inflammatory will definetely help most times. I have found that the drugs I listed are the most common ones prescribed for teeth pain in Canada we don't have Vicodin here we do have something with Hydrocodone but it is for bad cough and tylenol#3#4 which the Dentist's usually prescribe just are not strong enough, anyway I am just rambling on here getting way off topic, but I would definetly try Toradol for other types of pain it never worked for me but excellent for dental pain!!Also it is hard on the stomach so take food with it.

Closed Thread