It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• pain clinics?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
    TragicQueen

TragicQueen HB User
    pain clinics?

so i'm getting sent to a pain clinic for chronic pelvic pain.....can anyone tell me what they do there? and what its like, i'm really nervous about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
    cajun1951

cajun1951 HB User
    Re: pain clinics?

HiTragicQueen,

I've been going to PM since Oct. after suffering for 3 years from nerve damage following two seperate back surgeries to fix a shattered disc.

Like you, I was very nervous on my first visit. My plan of treatment was to have a series of 3 epidural injections. ( that made me even more nervous) As usual my anticipation was worse than the actual treatment. Unfortunately for me the injections didn't help. I was then put on Neurontin that gave me great relief from the pain, but after reaching higher doses I had much swelling due to water retention ( meds didn't help eliminate that problem) So, I'm in the process of weaning off the neurontin, and will be trying tomopax. If that doesn't work, then there are more to try. My point is (after much rambling, which is another side effect of the neurontin for me, lol) that PM will work with you until they find something that suits you, just hang in there. Not sure I really answered your question, just wanted to let you know that there's really nothing to be nervous about and I wish you much success in finding pain relief.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

See my post under What can I expect at a headache clinic. A headache clinic is a pain clinic at least the one I went to was.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

hi tragic queen
    while all pm clinics are not the same i can only tell you about my experence.i was sent to 2 seperate pm clinics by two diferent neuros after i cancelled fusion surgery on c67 disc with both of them 1 st pm clinic i went to put me thru hell with his treatments 1 being a series of 3 nerve blocks with injections of celestone followed by a emg nerve conductivity test ouch!! only to tell me i had a pinched nerve in c67 which i already knew from mri' s from both neuros then he had me buy all of his neck collars and cervical pillows which he claimed the ones i bought at the pharmacy wernt good enough note his didnt work either then he sent me to physical theraphy which caused me more pain than i had never would he give me any drugs for pain my last visit with him i told him that he truly had a pain management clinic as he managed to keep me in pain lol. 2nd neuro after i cancelled sugery with him he sent me to a pain management clinic because he was not comfotable with continuing to give me the oxicodone that had finally gave me some relief for my pain this pain management doc is a chronic pain sufferer himself and understood the pain i was going thru and put me on opiates for pain management i have been going to him for 3 years now and he has increased the doses as needed as i have become opiate tolerant current dose is 15 mg roxicodone 4 x day and 5 mg roxicet 4 x day for breakthru hope this info helps you
    bob

Closed Thread