It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Allegic To Aspirin Products For Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
    BchGrl
    (female)

BchGrl HB User
    Allegic To Aspirin Products For Pain

My father is allergic to all aspirin products. He can't take anything for pain. Any pain meds have aspirin in them. He has arthritis really bad and also needs hip surgery but is afraid to do it because he cannot take anything afterwards for the pain.

Does anyone have this problem or know of something you can take on a daily basis for pain that doesn't have aspirin in it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Allegic To Aspirin Products For Pain

Where did he get the idea that all pain meds contain aspirin?Actually there are more pain meds that contain tylenol than aspirin these days as aspirin has some qualities that tend to have some rather adverse reactions on certain people and tylenol usually is much safer for people to take.Many years ago, the former was probably very true,but things have changed very dramatically.I cannot take any aspirin containing products as they feel like they are burning a hole through my stomach.If you take a look at the different narcotic preperations that people have mentioned on this board that they are taking for their pain,I don't think I have seen any listed here at all that contain any aspirin,only tylenol.He really needs to discuss this with his dr.I feel bad that your father has had to suffer for so long with his pain due to wrong information.There are literally hundreds of products availiable that he can use to control his pain.Good luck to your father and i hope his pain is controled soon.He definitely needs some peace. keep us posted,take care, Marcia

Old 02-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User

I don't know how you got the idea that aspirin is the only pain medication known to man. That is the most absurd statement i think i have ever seen posted on this board. How about doing a bare minimum of research before making such a statement. Just walk into ANY store and you will find a large multitude of over the counter medications that contain acetominophen such as tylenol. Ibuprofen is another pain reliever, in products like motrin, also available is Aleve, which contains naproxen. So you have three medications over the counter without aspirin: acetominophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen. Many prescription pain relievers also contain no aspirin, literally hundreds! How about readidng some of the posts already on this board, or asking someone at the store. I know there is a saying that says "if you don't know, ask". But there is also a saying that says "there are no stupid people, only stupid questions" and this is definitly one of them. (sorry if i came down a little hard, but geez what is society coming to?)

Old 02-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

A tad harsh Wirry. It looks to me like its a kid posting and asking how to help her/his father.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

hi wirry
    sounds like you had a bad day i agree with twisten its just a kid looking for help for her dad wish my kids would do that for me anyway calm down if you want to vent were here for ya
    bob

Old 02-17-2004, 08:03 AM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Beach Girl, There really are many pain relievers without aspiran that can be used and his doctors just need to be aware of his aspirin allergy. If he's having a hip replaced he will most likely have a machine that infuses morphine, dilaudid or fentanyl continously IV and also have the ability to press a button to receive an extra dose of medication every 4-20 minutes depending on the setting of the PCA machine . PCA is patient controlled anesthesia, a much better way than having to ring a bell and wait for a nurse to come give you a shot. Older people are usually much more sensative to the effects of opiates and don't require or can't handle the larger doses used on youger healthier people.

When he comes home he will likely come home with a med compounded with Tylenol, on the bottle it will be called apap which is the abreviation for Tylenol. Vicodin, Lortab, Anexia, or Norco are all Hydrocodone "a synthetic opiate" with apap. Or he may need something stronger like OXycodone with apap or he may have a med that is a pure opiate without any apap or aspirin. Oxycodone is available without apap, he could use oral morphine, oral Dilauadid "hydromorphone" or wear a patch that delivers Fentanyl over a 48-72 hour period.

If his needs are less Tylenol with codeine is available is sevral strengths too and Darvecet can be used but is a bit mild for very invasive ortho surgery. There is absolutely no need for your father to suffer post surgical pain or pain while recovering once he is home and going through the rehabilitation process. Often older folks also are afraid of addiction.

The largest study done on pain patients using opiate pain meds for chronic pain followed 10,000 people for one year. As long as patients only use the meds for pain, and not escape from reality the liklyhood of becomming addicted to your pain meds is minimal, In that particular study only 3% of the patients actually become addicted to their pain meds.

When you take pain meds when your in pain, they act very differently than when you take pain meds simply for the high. When in pain all they do is offer pain relief, very little pleaseant sensation come from pain meds when your truly hurting. So remind him to take his pain meds so he will recover faster and not limit his activity to limit the pain. He will loose more strength and muscle mass by not using the pain meds and simply staying in bed and off the hip.

Recovery is quicker when pain is managed properly. People will tend to push a little harder in PT during recovery when they know they have the means to manage additional pain from physical therapy.

Good luck, Shore

Last edited by Shoreline; 02-17-2004 at 08:08 AM.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User

I'm sorry, guess i was having an off day. I never even considered that it could be a kid posting. I apologize, i guess i got carried away. Ah well, at least the original poster can rest easy knowing that there are many pain relief options available, regardless of being alergic to aspirin.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
    BchGrl
    (female)

BchGrl HB User

My father is also allergic to Tylenol etc. Anything resembling aspirin. As far as he and his doctors know, he has had bad reactions from any type of pain medication that they have tried so far.

Old 02-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #9
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I tried??? Does this surgeon have you do all his research for him?
    Side effects are not allergies.

Last edited by Shoreline; 02-27-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
    BchGrl
    (female)

BchGrl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    I tried??? Does this surgeon have you do all his research for him?
    Side effects are not allergies.
    Well his tongue swells up and he can't breathe so I think that would be an allergy. You really don't need to reply to me anymore if you just have sarcastic things to say. You are not helping.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #11
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Allegic To Aspirin Products For Pain

Actually Shore is just trying to help, as always. Your posts don't make any sense because tylenol (acetominophen, APAP, chemical abreviation) and aspirin (ASA, chemical abreviation) are two completely and totally different chemical compounds. Just as amonia and bleach are both cleaning agents, aspirin and tylenol are both pain relievers, but just as amonia and bleach each are totally different cleaners and chemicals, so are aspirin and tylenol totally different. Therefore, the fact that your father had an allergy to aspirin, would have absolutly nothing to do with being alergic to tylenol. Other than both having pain relieving properties, they are completely and TOTALLY different compounds in every way possible. So it is highly unlikely that he just so happens to have two seperate allergies to the two most common pain relieving products known to man. I think your father does not have an alergy to tylenol or aspirin, but rather, he has uncomfortable side effects from the aspirin, perhaps stomach pain or sweating or whatever, and rather than whine about it, he instead claims to have an alergy. And because he and you are ignorant of the extreme chemical differences between tylenol and aspirin, he is having a placebo, purely psychological negative reaction to the tylenol, because in his mind, he thinks tylenol is similiar to the aspirin, which causes his side effects in the first place. That is my theory and i'm sticking to it.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #12
    BchGrl
    (female)

BchGrl HB User

YOu are right. tylenol and aspirin are 2 totally different things. And it is not unlikely that he is allergic to both. He is actually allergic to most pain meds. I don't think that just "being in your head" would make your tongue swell up and give you hives all over your body.
    Sure sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Severe side effects is the same thing as an allergy. Actually, that's what an allergy is. So, until you go to med school, you shouldn't state that you KNOW this to be true.
    I'm not sure if you know the purpose of these health boards. They are to try to help people.
    People come here for advice. If they had all the answers, they would not post here. So to call them ignorant is not very cool.

I know plenty of people that are allergic to many many things. For you to state that it is a placebo makes you the ignorant one.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #13
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Have they tried pure opiates such as oxycodone, morphine, demerol? There may be more but they are the only pure ones I know of. None of these ones have any tylenol or aspirin in them. Other than that I am at a loss as to what to suggest for your father. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #14
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Beach girl, You shoot everyone down that tried to help with the minimal answer he's allergic to everything etc. What exactly is everything and etc? Morphine? Hydromorphone ? OxyCodone? HydroCodone? Codeine? Numorphan? Fentanyl, Afentanyl? Sufentanyl? Demerol? Methadone? Levordromoran? Buprenex? TalwynNX? Stadol? Nubain? and Ultram?
    All these products are anelgesics and have no aspirin or Tylenol and yet you get angry if anyone asks you what you mean by allergic to everything. If he is, He would likely be alergic to the anesthesia which is a combination of 3 classes of meds. The first is Opiate "one of the drugs listed above that he's allergic too," Hypnotic, and Paralytic. Are they going to do a hip replacement without anesthesia? Because he's alergic to every drug I have named.

You can't even get Sufentanyl or Afentanyl outside of the surgical arena without a compounding pharmacy compounding one of these meds into a lolipop or a lozenge that's absorbed through the mouth. However these meds used in anesthesia only have a 3-5 minute half life and would require continous infusion or dosing to maintain relief. But I'm sure you and his docs already knew this.

If anyone else posted I'm allergic to every pain med, aspirin tylenol etc, people are gong to question has he tried every med I listed above. I have listed 17 different anelgesics in 5 distincrt classes, none relating to the other as far as allergic response and you simply say he's alergic to everything.

If he is, then why even ask? Let the doc figure it out. If the doc can't, certainly a child and all of us that are not doctors but have been dealing with pain and tried all these different meds over the past decade have nothing to say you want to hear.

I would put my knowledge of opiates and pain management against any surgeon you may encounter. Believe it or not, Doctors get less then 3 credit hours of training during their entire medical school when it comes to anelgesic pain meds. I've spent hundreds of hours researching and actually using these meds and would match my knowledge in this area against any surgeon. The only doctors that might possibly know a little more than me about opiate pain meds is an anesthesiologiust that solely practices pain management for at least 10 years. I have met plenty that are just as clueless as the children that show up looking for an answer their fathers doctor can't seem to find.

There is no present cirriculum for pain manamegent, There is no specialty called painmanolgist, There are no fellowships in pain management. Any doctor with their 3 hours of pain management trainng that has the ability to write a prescription can claim to be a pain managemnt doc. Untill there is an actual internship, ciriculum, or fellowship for pain managent, most docs you meet havn't put in the hours of reserch to learn about opiates, receptors, and how to manage acute intractable chronic pain.

Doctors learn about post surgical pain and pain management for acute injuries during the one class they take. Even then all they need is enough knowledge to prescribe Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodonme and Ibuprofen and they can function in the medical field with minimal problems. When they meet a patient that doesn't respond to their limited knowledge of pain management they just refer you down the street like a hot potato.

Untill you have joined the ranks of chronic pain patients, keep believeing doctors know all there is to know about pain management,opioids, opiates, mixed opiates. Keep the ignorant docs up on that pedistal because they went to medical school and spent 3 whole hours studying anelgesic medication. That's a fact. Pharmacists know more about the drugs doctors prescribe then the docs themself.

Doctors learn and believe what pharmacuetical reps tell them. They have no experience prescribing the med the pharmacuetical rep gives them samples of, but pass them out like some type of benign candy.

Read a few posts about Ultram on ths forum and you will understand if you have the ability to comprehend what we actually talk about and what we have actually experienced first hand.

If your going to dismiss all our suggestions and answers because we are not docs, why even come to this site. To harrass people that know more about suffering, pain management and the meds used to manage it.

Do you know what they call a med student that graduates from medical school at the bottom of the class with a 1.5 GPA?
    The answer is "Doctor."

Continue to believe that all doctors are more intelegent than the patients they treat. 10 years of first hand experience couldn't possibly outweigh the one class they took, may have barely passed, during their 3rd year of undergrad med school. Did you think all docs graduate with a 4.0 GPA?

Acording to you and your fathers learned surgeon his only option seems to be alcohol. I doubt a doc is going to prescribe 1 beer every 3 hours for post op pain. But if you want to continue to shoot down every effort with the same "he's allergic to everything etc" response, why even ask us non doctors that don't know squat about the medications we have actually researched extensively and taken for years. I do know the difference between itching that's a side effect with all opiates and true anaphalactic shock from allergy.

You have a list of every med available, Perhaps it's time to be on your way since you aren't a CP patient, have no knowledge or experience to share, and have shot down every reply attempting to help your dad.
    CYA Shore

Old 03-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #15
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Allegic To Aspirin Products For Pain

Shore, very good response...thank you. You are the most knowlegdeable person and she lost out by not taking advantage of your generosity in answering her questions when all you were asking for was more info so you could do your best to help. Just know we all appreciate soooooooo much what you do...Love, Surgical Disaster

Closed Thread