It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• oxy and weird dreams...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    oxy and weird dreams...

Someone else remarked that a certain med gave them strange dreams and that reminded me to ask...Does anyone else on oxycontin or another narcotic on a regular basis, experience an unusual amount of dreams? I have never really been much of a dreamer at night, until i started the oxycontin. Now i have the strangest, most elaborate realistic dreams just about every night. Not nightmares or anything scary or disturbing, but i am just struck at the elaborateness of the dreams, i could almost write a movie script from some of them. And i do find i am more rested after a night of deep REM sleep so in a way it is a kind of a plus. Does anyone else have this experience with their meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Re: oxy and weird dreams...

I was on elavil, which i believe is amitriptylene, a while back, but i stopped about a year ago because it wasn't really having much of an effect I didn't really notice the dreams flaring up then, but they have since i started the oxy, so i think for me the oxy is the cause of the dreams. But i wouldn't doubt that antidepressants, which affect brain chemistry, would have a similar effect on others.

Old 03-04-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User

Hi, I don't know if anyone would still be checking this thread, I've had a bad cold all week so couldn't really comment til now. It actually gave me quite a smile to see this mentioned like this. I currently take 10-15mgs of Methadone a day and I very often have some highly unusual dream time, but it's been for the better part of my 3 year CP life though, through a span of different opiate meds. But what you said is exactly it, very long, vivid, drawn-out and often bizarre dreams, thought not really nightmares (at least not for me). I espcially got a kick out of you bringing up the point of "writing a movie script" out of them, because in fact I'm a screenwriter, though I haven't officially been paid for any of it yet. I've often had the dream that, upon waking up, was so complex that I would swear it must've encompassed over an hour of actual sleep. There would be sometimes several characters, "plot twists", etc. The rub of course being that a lot of the time the narative of the dream didn't ultimately make that much sense, therefore not truly lending itself for film translation, but still in the end I know exactly what you mean. I've even woken up out of a dream during the night for the bathroom, etc, only to have it actually being where it left off when I fell back to sleep.

The one other major sleep related point I've noticed with taking pain meds (though I haven't experienced it for awhile now), my first two years I would have this happen a lot, where you would only actually be asleep for maybe an hour, but when you woke up you would swear that you had just slept for 4-5 hours. Mind you, not saying that you were ready and refreshed to start your day at 3am (although one morning I did literally go all the way to the point of getting showered and dressed for work when I realized it was still the middle of the night), but it's just something about that potential you could have for such intensely deep sleep sometimes (I would assume that's what it is) that you feel as if you've been sleeping for much longer than you really have been upon waking up. I mean I had that feeling hit me A LOT over my first couple years.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
    wirry1422
    Inactive

wirry1422 HB User
    Wink Re: oxy and weird dreams...

Glad to here you had some very similar experiences, so i'm not alone on this. I too have slept to deeply that i would wake up at 2 or in the morning and feel like i just slept 10 hours, when i only slept 3. I guess that is one of the more positive aspects of the medication, for us, because it definitly helps to make the most out of whatever time we have to sleep. I have been impressed and shocked at the elaborate nature of my dreams several times. I often wonder where i get the material from, because i dream of things i could never imagine when i'm awake. I guess it just shows the true power of the human brain for complex thoughts and ideas. Maybe its true, like the old saying goes, that most people only use 10 percent of their actually brain power!

Old 03-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User

Oh WIRRY, I'm quite sure on the percentage of brain power usage point, in fact based on what I see everyday spanning all of pop culture through to politics and more, most noggins would be lucky to reach that 10% figure. And sure, you may laugh when I say that, but I am so not joking

Anyway, what I remembered to say about the deep sleep point, although I've had that happen a lot as I said where 2 hours seems like 6 when you wake up, at the same time, pretty much my entire experience with opiate meds is that they've actually pepped me up, and I've lost countless hours of sleep over the years because of them. I guess I've been lucky that I've never been "loopy" or zombie-like from taking them, that they've often actually given me energy (although I guess that's the addictive part, which obviously you have to be careful of). But I've had MANY a night where I'm still up at 3:30am, and not "wired" mind you, in fact it's actually a very comfortable state of still being awake, where I'm relaxed and yet could be very productive to do any task. I often got a lot done in my little apartment back in LA during those times in the middle of the night (and never had any problem w/driving on opiates either) In fact, the very first day that I took the first Vicodin of my life almost exactly 3 years ago this week (my hurting wisdom teeth were about to be pulled) I took my first 5mg pill at about 4:30pm while at work, then had to another at around 9pm, and I literally didn't sleep one minute that night into the next morning. I tried to for awhile, but by around 2-3am (and I had to take another at that point for the pain) I realized how awake I was going to be so I comfortably putzed around on the computer or whatever. (but boy, you know I slept good that 2nd night, after working a whole nother day

And remember, as far as dream content goes, there's a lot of differnet schools of thought, but a basic simple fact is that pretty much all dreaming is metaphorical, and so not about what you're literally visualizing in the dream. Take care

Old 03-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirry1422
    Someone else remarked that a certain med gave them strange dreams and that reminded me to ask...Does anyone else on oxycontin or another narcotic on a regular basis, experience an unusual amount of dreams? I have never really been much of a dreamer at night, until i started the oxycontin. Now i have the strangest, most elaborate realistic dreams just about every night. Not nightmares or anything scary or disturbing, but i am just struck at the elaborateness of the dreams, i could almost write a movie script from some of them. And i do find i am more rested after a night of deep REM sleep so in a way it is a kind of a plus. Does anyone else have this experience with their meds?
    I have taken numerous narcotics for my back pain over the years and can tell you some of them are really good at giving you these dreams. I've been on darvocet and zanaflex for a year now and can tell you that I definitely get thes "movie" dreams. I also get dreams where I could swear it was real, and then wake up. I've had two, where I had to go to the potty to urinate and it got incorporated into the dream and I was on the toilet (in the dream) and wet the bed. It was so real. The second time I woke up as soon as I started to go. But I've also had hallucinations from the zanaflex. I know its the zanaflex becaue there's times I don't take any pain pills and take my zanaflex at bedtime and seem to see weird stuff, like I saw spider **** and tried to knock them down, and it was dark. I told my husband those spiders sure work fast spinning new ****, at one time. Then got up to go to the restroom and though I saw a giant spider floating in the air at my feet, but tried to kill it and it was gone. Mentioned it to my sis-in law and she first thought it might be something with my eyes, like detatched retina, because I would "see" this at night. A couple of times I freaked out in bed when i thought I saw something, one night it looked like I could see like electirc wires all across the bedroom ceiling, like I was looking through the ceiling into the attic. I finally figured out it was the zanaflex, by not taking it for a while and the hallucinations went away. So now if I see weird stuff I know its the medicaiton. The dreams are okay and interesting most of the time, if I could just remember the whole thing to write down. I have woken up lots of times thinking "that would be a good movie", too. The weird stuff I see when I have to take as much zanaflex as I am supposed to, I'm supposed to take a whole one (2mg) at night and in the morning, but I ususally break it in half and take it when I go to bed and then after I wake up for my nightly trip to the bathroom, because anaflex makes you thirsty and you drink water at night. Don't seem to get them in the daytime. Of course I don't go to beda nd go to sleep with the daytime pill. SO the hallucinations may be leftover from the dreams. They aren't usually scary, just weird.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User

Eeek, I'm sorry to hear you wet the bed, but I've absolutely had those dreams where you have to urinate for real and it gets bled into the dream. I have that dream actually probably at least once a week anymore. It always give me a little laugh, because I sometimes have these elaborate sequences where I'm desperately trying to find somewhere to go, then wake up all of a sudden and think "ahh... so that's why I was dreaming that" and I promptly dash to the bathroom. I've thankfully never actually gone in my bed during one of those times, even though occasionally in the dream I do start urinating. And actually, every once in awhile, during the dream itself I realize that I'm dreaming, know that in real life have to urinate, and have kinda willed myself to wake up so that I could go. But all I know is, I did actually still wet the bed longer into childhood than most kids probably (it made me so scared when I went to a sleepover at a friend's, just praying I wouldn't pee in bed), so I welcome these dreams very much (but obviously not that I require to have that kind of dream every time I need to go during the night to be able to successfully make it to the bathroom

Old 03-05-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
    rlcowboy
    Veteran

rlcowboy HB User

Hey, I did the same thing while I took oxycontin a few months back, now I am trying methadone for my chronic pain, but no more presise dreams, did'nt really mind em, just dont get them with methadone so far.Plus methadone is way cheaper than oxycontin!! Ask you doctor about it! Rlcowboy

Old 03-05-2004, 11:56 PM   #9
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Yes, I've had a lot of those dreams where I am desperately trying to find a bathroom, too. I have had a kidney disease since I was 8 years old. I didn't wet the bed when I was younger, although I had urinary stress incontinence all my life, until I had three surgeries to correct it. the last one finally worked, they did a vaginal wall sling, where they took muscle from my stomach and put it on my bladder and that stopped the incontinence.
    It was kind of weird to wet the bed, but funny, as even when I had the incontinence I had never wet the bed.
    But the dreams are still cool.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User
    The Castle of Golden Showers...

Hey To WIRRY, and everyone else, considering all we've talked about on this thread here, I simply had to share the timely dream that I literally just had last night. And let me say up front, to be fair, that some MIGHT regard it as a little gross, so I put my disclaimer in now, but I consider it to just be funny, thinking of all the discussion so far

So I'm having a dream last night that I was outside a movie theatre, or something like that, and I - can ya take a guess? - had to go to the bathroom. So I'm frantically looking around for somewhere to go, and next to the theatre I find this odd structure, that could only possibly exist in the backwards logic of our dreams. It was a giant three-story thing that basically, as the headline says, kinda looked like a castle's tower, or even a better example might be a circular shaped wedding cake, where each section above the other was getting progressively smaller in diameter. Anyway, all around on each level there were these outdoor bathrooms, and people were just everywhere one them, each urinating. (And here comes the potential gross part) while I'm desperately trying to find a private place to go for myself, (since I've always gotten 'stage fright' very easily while urinating in a public place, to say nothing of the wait that comes from the urinary retention I suffer now because of the opiates) I'm getting upset because every spot I run to around this thing, everyone is gleefully peeing on each other, as if it's the newest health or pop culture craze. It was literally like everyone was dancing and smiling around while big streams of pee were flying all over the place.

So this of course was driving me nuts. Finally, I made my way up to the top tier of this bizarre public bathroom, found a small spot away from everyone else, and as a matter of fact actually started to go while I was still in the dream, but thankfully upon waking up that didn't translate to me really peeing my bed. But it was right at that point that I DID wake up, and realized that had just been a usual wacko 'need to pee' dream, and I smiled right then and there, because at 3am or whatever it was the first thing I thought of was all you guys and all this we've just been taking about. And then of course I hustled along to the bathroom to take care of business before I was back to sleep

Hope I didn't gross out or offend anyone too much.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:33 AM   #11
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Shoot no, I've had that crowded place dream lots of times, or that I'm looking for a place to go and every place is taken. Even once dreamed of trying to use a men's urinal, which I actually had to try to do in real life once. The women's restroom was closed for some reason and I really had to go and a friend stood watch while I went inside a men's bathroom, and there were no stalls, only urinals. This was in Germany, and I guess that's common, SO while my friend guarded the door I went in and these were on the wall urinals, and there is no way a woman can get up on one of those. We had to hurry up and find a bathroom because we were laughing so hard after that.

I grew up in the country and usually you went where you could in an emergency, and once-- and this is really funny---My mom and I were driving on a country road and she had to go and stopped the car, got out and was squatting on the ground when a dog came up from somewhere and stuck its nose to her butt and scared the living daylights out of her.

Are you ready for one more funny story in this vein--
    An older couple we know live way out in the country where there's no streetlights and stuff and it is really dark in their house at night. Us women have a habit of going to the bathroom and just backing up and sitting down (that's why it upsets us when guys leave the seat up). Well she got up and went to the bathroom and backed up and sat down and her husband was already sitting there. Can you imagine? Sitting on someone in the dark? Even though she knew it was her husband, she said it nearly gave her a heart attack. She screamed and then he screamed, because it scared him too.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 AM   #12
    delilah1963
    (female)

delilah1963 HB User

Texjoann,

About the spider dreams, I've had a few of those over time and I KNOW my eyes are open (I can feel myself blinking0 and I'm seeing what I'm seeing. I'm awake, and yet I'm dreaming. It is freaky and unsettling and as far as I can tell, a certified hallucination. Recently I was lying in bed, eyes open, yet feeling completely and otherwise paralyzed. And this big honkin' black furry spider comes zooming down on its web from the ceiling and hits the space in b/t my husband and my pillows.

Then the paralysis breaks and I'm freakin' and jumping out of bed and pulling back the sheets...my poor husband LOL!!

This has happened to me occasionally (the paralysis, being awake and hallucination type feeling) for years, long before meds.

I read an article one time about it being some type of state of subconsciousness mixed with consciousness...I wish I could remember the name of the syndrome, but now I can't.

For sure, meds give me active dreaming (Welcome to Opiate Theatre...<evil laugh>), but that other type where it is so REAL, those really rattle me.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delilah1963
    Texjoann,

About the spider dreams, I've had a few of those over time and I KNOW my eyes are open (I can feel myself blinking0 and I'm seeing what I'm seeing. I'm awake, and yet I'm dreaming. It is freaky and unsettling and as far as I can tell, a certified hallucination. Recently I was lying in bed, eyes open, yet feeling completely and otherwise paralyzed. And this big honkin' black furry spider comes zooming down on its web from the ceiling and hits the space in b/t my husband and my pillows.

Then the paralysis breaks and I'm freakin' and jumping out of bed and pulling back the sheets...my poor husband LOL!!

This has happened to me occasionally (the paralysis, being awake and hallucination type feeling) for years, long before meds.

I read an article one time about it being some type of state of subconsciousness mixed with consciousness...I wish I could remember the name of the syndrome, but now I can't.

For sure, meds give me active dreaming (Welcome to Opiate Theatre...<evil laugh>), but that other type where it is so REAL, those really rattle me.
    I've had that exact same thing happen, freaking and trying to get out of bed. Only my husband tried to hold me to see what was going on and I started pounding on him, he thought I was going nuts. I was just trying to get away from the spider. Like you, it was right there. Scary enough, I ran into a huge spider web in my brother's yard one night and he said it had a giant spider in the middle of it, and that was definitely awful. Maybe that is what caused these. I know the difference because when I ran into one for real, I had to get the cobwebs out of my hair and all. Don't know where the spider went, thankfully he didn't get on me. (I didn't even know the spider was there until I saw my brother the next day and told him I had come by the night before and he said I wondered who knocked down that humongous spider web between the trees. He said the spider's body was about as big as a quarter
    I probably would have had a heart attack on the spot if I had known.

Then one night I went to the bathroom and as I was lying down my hubby got up (we had a waterbed) and I didn't feel him get up. All of a sudden I saw someone coming into the bedroom, I jumped up out of bed, (I was wide awake, and this was before all these meds)and started saying who is that?
    He kept coming towards me, and I though my hubby was still in the bed.
    I fell down on the floor beside the bed and was reaching up onto the bed trying to reach and wake him up, and I had no place to go. The wall was right there, and you can't crawl under a water bed. I yelled WHO IS THAT. (I can't see very well without my glasses especially at night)
    All I knew was someone was coming toward me. Finally he whispers my name, and then I thought--whoever it is knows my name--they're probably going to kill me. I grabbed the pillow off the bed and held it to my chest, just as he reached down to touch me. My heart was beating a million miles an hour. I screamed!
    Then he said "what are you doing" in his normal voice and I realized what happened, but I was shaking so hard and crying that it took a long time to get calmed down.
    I asked afterwards what he THOUGHT I was doing and he said he thought I wa having some kind of a fit.
    Now he laughs about it and sings that "WHo WHo, WHo are you" song they play on CSI.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
    delilah1963
    (female)

delilah1963 HB User

Hi Texjoann,

I looked it up online yesterday and it's called "sleep paralysis"...it's a state of dreaming when your body is awake, as though your body "came to" but your brain didn't yet. Anyway, it talked about hallucinations and said it's a theory as to why so many people think they see ghosts, are abducted by aliens, etc. Look it up on a search engine under sleep paralysis and you'll realize you're not crazy.

It's not fun to have that happen, KNOWING you're awake and seeing that freaky stuff going on, but it's a bit of a comfort to know there's some type of explanation for it.

Dream on...(Aerosmith)...LOL

Del.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 AM   #15
    enon

enon HB User

I just have to add my reply to this thread. I've also experienced the most vivid, elaborate and exciting dreams that I could swear would make epic movies. The dreams are long and involved with several well-developed characters and a plot that would shame any movie Hollywood movie. I currently take oxy 20mg twice daily with roxi 15mg for BT pain. I also take effexor 150mg a day for anxiety. On top of this, I've recently quit smoking and am using the nicotene patches. I could have sworn it was the patches that gave me the dreams (Imagine trying to tell your wife that you want to continue the patches even though you've quit smoking just because you enjoy the dreams). I have even stayed in bed sleeping sometimes 10 or 12 hours because I wanted to see how the movie ends . Luckily for me, I'm a programmer so I can work odd hours and no one cares. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it's some drug interaction that's causing it.

Closed Thread