It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• pain when having a bowel movement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    pain when having a bowel movement

I hope someone on here has some advice for me as I can't get into my doc for a few weeks. The last few times I've had a bowel movement (even just trying to have one) I get a terrible pain in my lower back that seems to run down the back of my legs and almost a pulling feeling up my spine. Its really weird. The pain down my legs I get even just sitting but it is really bad when I try to have a bowel movement. Can anyone relate to this? I also posted this in the bowel disorders board but no responses yet so I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice.

Last edited by twisten; 03-15-2004 at 09:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 04:43 AM   #2
    barteel

barteel HB User
    Re: pain when having a bowel movement

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by barteel; 12-28-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Old 03-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

The other prescription med is Kristaloose, It causes no cramping and works great, I don't even need a stuimulant with Kristaloose, It can be called in and will certainly make a BM easier once you find the right dose, I don't even use it daily anymore, I can pretty much tell when I need a dose or need to increase the dose.

IT draws lots of water into your bowels and softens things so that things pass smoother, If softeners alone don't work then you might need to add a stimulant to cause the contractions, although the stimulants are what people complain about that cause the cramping. Examples of a stimulant would be Senekot S , and adding more fiber when your already constipated is not a good thing, You need to get things moving before you start packing more fiber in behind something that is blocked.
    Good luck, Shore

PS, This was the answer to not straining after I had the heart attack and stents placed, when they said don't strain I said you have to be kidding, so they prescribed the kristaloose and what a relief that was.
    Take care, Shore

Old 03-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

I have a prescription med called Lactulose, its a sweet syrupy liquid. I take it a couple times a week maybe I need to increase it for a bit and I take colace pretty well every day. Once I get my stool to move it looks normal. Even when I'm just sitting in a chair I get almost like a tugging feeling up my spine. Its weird and hard to describe. Thanks for the info though. Sorry forgot to add I'm on MSContin 30 mg am and 60 pm and up to 10 mg of oxycodone 3 times a day. Plus all my crohns meds and such.

Last edited by twisten; 03-16-2004 at 12:56 PM.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
    wastefulltick
    (male)

wastefulltick HB User

hi twisten
    i just started drinking pomegranate juice and to my surprise i have not had a problem with bowel movements in 2 weeks and it was a daily problem and very difficult to have a bowel movement the name is pom wonderful got it at a health food store
    bob

Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #6
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twisten
    I hope someone on here has some advice for me as I can't get into my doc for a few weeks. The last few times I've had a bowel movement (even just trying to have one) I get a terrible pain in my lower back that seems to run down the back of my legs and almost a pulling feeling up my spine. Its really weird. The pain down my legs I get even just sitting but it is really bad when I try to have a bowel movement. Can anyone relate to this? I also posted this in the bowel disorders board but no responses yet so I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice.
    When I was getting my Prolotherapy for my twisted pelvis/lax ligaments I commented to the doc about bowel movements and the pain in my back and legs. He gave me some long drawn out explanation about the tail bone and how it has to move when we strain. He suggested lots of fiber but then I was not on pain meds. My tail bone was moving because of the loose ligaments. But that could be part of your problem, your tail bone is moving when you strain.

I did take a few of the pain pills in the last few days and had to take a stool softener with them. I was not aware that I was not to back this up with fiber. So far everything is coming out okay

I wondered if what he was telling me was correct so I searched around the net and found that it is a normal occurrence to have lower back pain and down the leg with bowel movements.

I stocked up on prunes this week. So we don't feel so old they now call them Dried Plums

When you see your doc see if you need to have your tail bone moved. If it is out of place it will continue to haunt you. Simple procedure.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Hmmm, thats interesting about the tail bone. The pain though runs up my back as high as between my shoulder blades. would the tail bone cause that also? I was thinking maybe my bowel had stuck to my spinal cord or something and thats the tugging pain I felt?? I don't even know if that's possible, just shooting for answers in the dark I guess.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twisten
    Hmmm, thats interesting about the tail bone. The pain though runs up my back as high as between my shoulder blades. would the tail bone cause that also? I was thinking maybe my bowel had stuck to my spinal cord or something and thats the tugging pain I felt?? I don't even know if that's possible, just shooting for answers in the dark I guess.
    It might. Your tail bone is part of your back. Alot of people have trouble with the L5/SI. That was my initial problem. My doc said that it was all connected. You might want to ask your doc to feel your tailbone and see if it is out of aligment. It is really simple and painless to realign it.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:55 AM   #9
    kim32

kim32 HB User
    Question Re: pain when having a bowel movement

I have a question?
    How come I don't get constipation,
    (it's not like i want it) haha
    but ultram is like a narcotic right??
    I remember before taking ultram
    i was taking oxycontin and boy did
    i have constipation.
    but i have been on ultram for 10 months
    now and i haven't had any problems
    in that department.
    just wondering why?
    Kim

Old 03-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Injuredbetty, I do have scoliosis but am unsure of the location of it maybe its in the tailbone. I'll have to find out thanks for that info.
    Kim32, be thankful you don't have constipation. I don't know why maybe because ultram technically isn't a narcotic just has some properties that act like one and one of the properties it DOESN'T have is the ability to slow down our digestive systems?? Interesting question but unfortunately I don't have the answer. Hopefully someone else reading this will know and be able to answer it for us!!

Closed Thread