It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Something new about Urinary Retention I hadn't known....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #1
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User
    Something new about Urinary Retention I hadn't known....

Hey Everybody,

So, as I may've mentioned occasionally lately, I've been working at a data entry job since mid-December since I haven't been able to find any film related work back here in PA. Gotten through a temp agency, a 'temp-to-hire' thing, just to, as they say, pay the bills. I had something quite surprised happen to me lately, considering that I was told nothing for the 1st 2 months that I was by far the best performer out of my freshman temp class coming in (and am 1 of only 2 people left, out of about 20 from that group still there, and I"m considerably ahead of the 1 other person in performance). I don't say this to be immodest, mind you, but to set up my point. I had become part of their kinda jokey, informal club, that of between the employees & the supervisors there.

Now, as a part of our full scheduled 8hr day, we get two 15min breaks and a half hour lunch. And I am on Methadone for my neuropathy (which no supv's know, during the whole hiring process I never had to drug test, etc), which causes me constant urinary retention, as it does for most if not all of you, and so even just going #1 takes me longer than the average person (plus the fact that I've always pretty easily gotten 'stage fright' in public restrooms, unless the people around are ones I know pretty well). But of course, the employees are allowed to go to the bathroom when nature calls. So a supv approached me a little while ago, concerned of all the "extra break time" I was taking. Upon giving my story, they asked for a doc's note to confirm it.

I was more than a little shocked, considering how much they seem to've loved me, and now so ready to not believe me.Anyway, so I went to my GP last week and told him about it. See, I had thought the many times of going to the br were also just that I've always had a weak bladder it seemed. But not necessarily. My doc told me that not only does urinary retention make it take longer to void, obviously, but also that each time, though it feels in the moment like you're 'completely relieved', in fact your bladder does not fully empty. Thus, you have to end up going more often during the day. This was the part I'd never known before, despite of course deailng with UR for awhile now from the opiates. And so this was in my note, and I handed it in yesterday.

Let me also ask this if I may, though admittedly a different subject. While at the docs, he was concerned of my high heartrate, although it WAS cold in there and I was aggravated that I had to even get the damn note. He told me to have less caffeine. Which, I've really already cut back a lot on that, over the last year I'd say, I pretty much never have it past 6-7pm, drinking caff-free soda usually during the night (but I have taken to drinking more regular soda during the day, to get me through this tedious job). But my question is, even though most of it is caff-free, I guess it still has sugar in it, and could that still be a problem, as far as suffering from any sort of hyperness, or a higher heart rate? Thanks everyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: Something new about Urinary Retention I hadn't known....

That's so sad you needed a medical note to explain why you had void problems.. My goodness! I sure that works out for you ok.

I can tell you that caffeine, for me, when taking pain medications increases my heart rate quite a bit. I have also noticed that certain pain medications, regardless of not having any caffiene that day do make me feel hyper. I think that's fairly common, possibly how your body reacts to the medications but it couldn't hurt to try to get rid of the caffiene completely for a day or two and see if that helps you any.

I know when my father takes pain medications when his back hurts bad from arthritis his heart races a bit and he gets to talking so fast it's actually kinda funny. Everyone reacts different, some fall to sleep, some become hyper.. and he and I are the hyper kind.

That's about all I can offer I"m sure someone else can offer more intuitive advice.

Best of luck to you!

Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
    Backsahurtin

Backsahurtin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kissa
    That's so sad you needed a medical note to explain why you had void problems.. My goodness! I sure that works out for you ok.

I can tell you that caffeine, for me, when taking pain medications increases my heart rate quite a bit. I have also noticed that certain pain medications, regardless of not having any caffiene that day do make me feel hyper. I think that's fairly common, possibly how your body reacts to the medications but it couldn't hurt to try to get rid of the caffiene completely for a day or two and see if that helps you any.

I know when my father takes pain medications when his back hurts bad from arthritis his heart races a bit and he gets to talking so fast it's actually kinda funny. Everyone reacts different, some fall to sleep, some become hyper.. and he and I are the hyper kind.

That's about all I can offer I"m sure someone else can offer more intuitive advice.

Best of luck to you!
    And here I thought I was the only one to get hyper on pain meds! lol Must be more common than I thought.

Tyler, I probably would try what Kissa suggested and lay off all caffine for a day or two and increase your water intake a bit to see if that might help with both the heart rate and maybe the voiding problem. What was your pain level while you were at the doctor's office? My doctor's have told me in the past that when a person has pain, it can cause the heart rate to increase as well as the blood pressure. They say they can always tell by my bp and hr when my pain has increased. Maybe that could explain the increase?

That was an interesting fact to learn about meth. I suppose it depends on the dosage, if it affects voiding? It would explain why I'm in the most important room of the house so much though. lol

I hope you can get some good ideas to discuss with your doc at your next appt for what may be causing the hr increase. Please let us know how you're doing!

Ang

Old 03-25-2004, 05:26 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Ty, It's on my list of do not drink or eat things after my heart attack. That list has somewhat slipped by the wayside, you can only eat so much chicken.LOL

Coffee can cause the same UR problems that meth does, so I would definitely try avaoiding it as much as possible. Muscle relaxers can also cause UR problems so you may have several things working against you.Don't you hate UA on demand.LOL I always ask them if they have some time, cause it aint going to happen if I can hear them tapping their foot outside the door.LOL

Hang in their bro, Things will work out. Take care, Shore

Old 03-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Red face Re: Something new about Urinary Retention I hadn't known....

Well, I thought I had heard it all, guess not! I'm kinda speechless...just hang in there and hopefully that will satisfy their pee curiosity. Good Lord, what next? Take care, Surgical Disaster (When will we get some more of our good old privacy back?)

Old 03-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
    tyler7

tyler7 HB User

Well a very big thanks to everyone for your replies, but I'd just like to make a few comments in response to some of what you all said.

First of all, I don't believe that I have any high heartrate problems from taking my pain meds. While it's true that opiates have from day 1 always given me some 'pep', and at literally any hour of the day, I've never experienced a necessarily advanced heartrate during that time. In fact I've always remarked in the past that the extra boost that I experience in those times is very comfy "relaxed energy", where I could be fully productive at 3am So it's this kind of thing that I've felt, and not specifically 'hyper'. I only point that out becaue I don't consider hyper to be a good feeling, really.

My pain level when I was at the doc's was very low, the meds had it managed. And I was at my general physician for the urinary thing, not my PM. But it's very true that your bp, etc can shoot up when in pain, especially major pain. I've had many a ER triage nurse look at me with worried eyes when I came in, whether dealing with all my kidney stones or just the disc problems. But why I truly think my heartrate was up while at the doc's last week was this - and this is not something that you'd say to your doc, because there's basically no point. You and I, as essentially 'lay people' know this idea has merit, but a doc would always shrug it off. It's kind of the same principle as a person with nothing to hide getting screwed up on a lie detector test. I went in there, and despite the myriad of medical offices I've been inside of the last 3 years, I still ain't comfortable in them. So that's a strike right away. Then, I know he's going to do the basic check up of eyes, ears, bp and stethoscope, etc, and I think to myself "ok, just relax, get it overwith so I can deal with getting the note, and get the hell outta here back to my life." And maybe it's just me, but simply by virtue of having THAT THOUGHT in my head, I then start to overthink it. Now, of course it's not because I have 'something to hide', that I especially want him to read a good normal BP on me, so he 'won't be suspicious of anything', but, well, there ya go... it's such a simple thing, but then the snowball effect hits. You start thinking about wanting to be relaxed, and then you think to much, and you start demanding your body to get relaxed, which of course produces the complete oppositte effect. Next thing you know, your heart's racing for no reason whatsoever (or a very stupid, senseless one). I don't know, am I alone on this? Have others found themselves in this situation? Point being, I've had far more hours of the day (even lately) where I've been perfectly calm with a normal heartrate while on my meds. I just psyched myself out. But this concept, I believe, is what a doc will never buy. 'There's something to it.' And maybe it's ok, they're just doing their job, I don't know. But there it is.

And finally, as far as what Shore mentioned, I don't and have never drank coffee. I kinda wish I did, because lately I've had some truly lethargic mornings at this desk job, and I've ended up sipping on my normal caffeine soda at 9:45 am, something I'm not proud of doing. But I've never liked the taste (although I must say - the 1st movie I ever worked on, I had to get the lead actresses' coffee a lot, and she liked French Vanilla cream put in it... and MAN did THAT smell good.... ) But I do usually have about a half glass of iced tea in the morning before leaving for work with my toast, up until about the last month or so, that is, when I've been pretty regularly drinking grapefruit juice instead at that time, as I've heard that the enzymes within can do things to stomach acid which help to potentiate the Methadone effects, if you drink it (or eat fresh grapefruit) at least an hour before your dose, but I'm not sure if that has caffeine in it, but I guess it has plenty of sugar. I also do not take muscle relaxers and haven't for a long time.

Ok, well that's it. I'm sorry, this ended up much longer than I originally planned for my 'few quick comments'. Thanks again all

Last edited by tyler7; 03-26-2004 at 12:18 AM.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
    Backsahurtin

Backsahurtin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler7
    Well a very big thanks to everyone for your replies, but I'd just like to make a few comments in response to some of what you all said.

First of all, I don't believe that I have any high heartrate problems from taking my pain meds. While it's true that opiates have from day 1 always given me some 'pep', and at literally any hour of the day, I've never experienced a necessarily advanced heartrate during that time. In fact I've always remarked in the past that the extra boost that I experience in those times is very comfy "relaxed energy", where I could be fully productive at 3am So it's this kind of thing that I've felt, and not specifically 'hyper'. I only point that out becaue I don't consider hyper to be a good feeling, really.

My pain level when I was at the doc's was very low, the meds had it managed. And I was at my general physician for the urinary thing, not my PM. But it's very true that your bp, etc can shoot up when in pain, especially major pain. I've had many a ER triage nurse look at me with worried eyes when I came in, whether dealing with all my kidney stones or just the disc problems. But why I truly think my heartrate was up while at the doc's last week was this - and this is not something that you'd say to your doc, because there's basically no point. You and I, as essentially 'lay people' know this idea has merit, but a doc would always shrug it off. It's kind of the same principle as a person with nothing to hide getting screwed up on a lie detector test. I went in there, and despite the myriad of medical offices I've been inside of the last 3 years, I still ain't comfortable in them. So that's a strike right away. Then, I know he's going to do the basic check up of eyes, ears, bp and stethoscope, etc, and I think to myself "ok, just relax, get it overwith so I can deal with getting the note, and get the hell outta here back to my life." And maybe it's just me, but simply by virtue of having THAT THOUGHT in my head, I then start to overthink it. Now, of course it's not because I have 'something to hide', that I especially want him to read a good normal BP on me, so he 'won't be suspicious of anything', but, well, there ya go... it's such a simple thing, but then the snowball effect hits. You start thinking about wanting to be relaxed, and then you think to much, and you start demanding your body to get relaxed, which of course produces the complete oppositte effect. Next thing you know, your heart's racing for no reason whatsoever (or a very stupid, senseless one). I don't know, am I alone on this? Have others found themselves in this situation? Point being, I've had far more hours of the day (even lately) where I've been perfectly calm with a normal heartrate while on my meds. I just psyched myself out. But this concept, I believe, is what a doc will never buy. 'There's something to it.' And maybe it's ok, they're just doing their job, I don't know. But there it is.

And finally, as far as what Shore mentioned, I don't and have never drank coffee. I kinda wish I did, because lately I've had some truly lethargic mornings at this desk job, and I've ended up sipping on my normal caffeine soda at 9:45 am, something I'm not proud of doing. But I've never liked the taste (although I must say - the 1st movie I ever worked on, I had to get the lead actresses' coffee a lot, and she liked French Vanilla cream put in it... and MAN did THAT smell good.... ) But I do usually have about a half glass of iced tea in the morning before leaving for work with my toast, up until about the last month or so, that is, when I've been pretty regularly drinking grapefruit juice instead at that time, as I've heard that the enzymes within can do things to stomach acid which help to potentiate the Methadone effects, if you drink it (or eat fresh grapefruit) at least an hour before your dose, but I'm not sure if that has caffeine in it, but I guess it has plenty of sugar. I also do not take muscle relaxers and haven't for a long time.

Ok, well that's it. I'm sorry, this ended up much longer than I originally planned for my 'few quick comments'. Thanks again all
    You know, that never even crossed my mind although I just kind of done that myself not too long ago. Going to a new doc is especially bad even though I know what the routine is. I get so nervous that they aren't going to believe a thing I say unless it's completely visibile and biting them on the hind end. Then I worry that my bp is high and my sugar is low and by the time both are taken, they are. I'm getting more relaxed with each new appointment, but it's still easy to do that to yourself without realizing it. I'm glad you figured it out. :0) Now that you know you're doing that, do you think it'll happen the next time? You'll have to let us know, k?

Since my new doc seems to be very easy going, I'll ask her what her thought is on it and let you know what she says. If you don't hear back from me for several weeks, you'll know she thought it was a crazy idea and had me committed! lol

Take care!
    Ang

Last edited by Backsahurtin; 03-26-2004 at 10:06 PM.

Closed Thread