It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• For those with back pain......

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 07:49 AM   #1
    amyle28
    (female)

amyle28 HB User
    For those with back pain......

I have had back pain for several years and the numerous MRI's that I have had all say that I have no nerve impingement. With that said, why in the world would I have sciatic pain if I have no nerve impingement?? Also, I have pain (embarrassing moment coming up) at the end of my tailbone more towards the left of my "crackous buttockous". Does the sciatic nerve run over that way or does it just go down the side of the hip???? And do you have any non-profeesional ideas as to what is causing this?? If you look on the back problems board I have typed out what my last mri said if you need more info, it is under: mri results: can i get some help....

Thanks,
    Amy

Last edited by amyle28; 03-30-2004 at 07:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: For those with back pain......

the Sciatica runs down the spine through/over the hip and down the back of each leg. It generally causes these type of pain:
    Pain in the rump or leg that is worse when sitting
    Burning or tingling down the leg
    Weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the leg or foot
    A constant pain on one side of the rump
    A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up

So yes I think that does apply to where your pain is. I've found however when mine acts up it is generally right over the hip socket in the buttocks.

The following information was found regarding the sciatica:
    While sciatica can be very painful, it is rare that permanent nerve damage (tissue damage) will result. Most pain syndromes result from inflammation and will get better within two weeks to a few months. Also, because the spinal cord is not present in the lower (lumbar) spine, a herniated disc in this area of the anatomy does not present a danger of paralysis.

Symptoms that may constitute a medical emergency include progressive weakness in the legs or bladder/bowel incontinence. Patients with these symptoms may have cauda equina syndrome and should seek immediate medical attention.

Any condition that causes irritation or impingement on the sciatic nerve can cause the pain associated with sciatica. The most common cause is lumbar herniated disc. Other common causes include lumbar spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, or isthmic spondylolisthesis.

Nerve pain is caused by a combination of pressure and inflammation on the nerve root, and treatment is centered on relieving both of these conditions. Treatments include:

Manual treatments (including physical therapy and osteopathic or chiropractic treatments) to help relieve the pressure.

Medical treatments (such as NSAIDís, oral steroids, or epidural steroid injections) to help relieve the inflammation.

Surgery (such as microdiscectomy or lumbar laminectomy) to help relieve both the pressure and inflammation may be warranted if the pain is severe and has not been relieved with appropriate manual or medical treatments.

So it could be remotely possible you are having some swelling and of course this won't show as a pinched nerve. FWIW, not all MRI's are not always correct, in fact I have yet to date have one that actually showed what my problem really was or to the severity it ended up being. MRI's are good mind you but maybe something isn't showing up for you for whatever reason.

Have you ever been taught how to relieve the sciatica pain?
    basically you lay on your back on the floor flat, on the side that it hurts the most take that leg and bend it positioning your foot on the OPPOSITE side of your other knee next to it
    (ie cross right leg over left in a bent position) and gently, and I stress gently, press the leg down towards the floor and hold a second or two and repeat a few times. This does help to stretch the nerve and relieve some pain.

Hopefully you'll be able to find out whats really going on or get some relief..
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Kissa

Last edited by Kissa; 03-30-2004 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

amy,
    i agree with kissa.stretching exersize should help relieve the muscle tightness that results from sciatica or any lower back problems.do them every day.the tighter your rump muscles (i think they are called piraformis) the sorer you will feel.as kissa said the leg over knee exersizes are quite helpfull and also try putting one foot up a couple of stairs and keep the other planted on floor (must be straight) and lean foward till you feel your hamstrings burn.hope this helps......scott

Old 03-30-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Amy, I just have to take a second to say "thanks" for the chuckle this morning...that was a cute way of saying what you wanted to say....crackous buttockus...I will remember that for future use while I roflmao.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 03-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Amy, Although Kissa is right on the money, Your doctor calling it Sciatica is kind of a catch all term for any leg pain that runs down through the hip to your foot. It probably isn't used correctly except 1:5 times because the average person has 5 lumbar vertabrea and they can all create roughly the same kind of pain, There is something called a dermatome map that shows you exactly what area of the hip, leg and foot are effected by each nerve root that comes out of the lumbar area and the nerves in he sacral area.

The Glutious minimus, maximus and the periformis all converge right in the center of you cheek and any of those mulces can spasm and crank on a nerve that passes through these muscles. You may not have a nerve impingement at your spine, the nerve problems may be from tight muscles and there are specific stretches for each. A PT could properly teach you and stretching is probably part of many chronic back pain patients regular regemin to limt some pain. If I don't stretch I can feel it within a couple days it it isn't pleseant at all.

Good luck, and don't be quick to want to be cut on, It may be great for relieving nerve entrapment and repairing damaged discs but it plays havoc on the back.
    Good luck, Shore

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-30-2004 at 01:06 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #6
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Last night on another forum I belong to there was an article talking about the dangers of epidural steroid injections. Apparently, there have been 350 deaths and over l5,000 medical "events" during the last 4 years.

I also read in that article that depo-medrol, kenalog, and other meds used, have never been approved by the FDA for the purpose of spinal injections. In fact, the manufacturer is urging caution in this "off-label" use. It can cause arachnoiditis as well as other problems with the spine.

I just wanted to pass this along so that anyone considering this procedure would have fore-knowledge.

Carol
    morphine pump

Closed Thread