It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• From Oxycontin to MS Contin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2004, 02:11 PM   #1
    pblue

pblue HB User
    Post From Oxycontin to MS Contin

I am about to switch from 160mg. of Oxycontin twice a day to the generic form of MS Contin, called Morphine SR. This is purely to comply with my insurance to pay for my meds. No one here (Ohio) knows what the correct conversion is. Not my Doctor, his nurse, the pharmacists nor, so far, anyone on the internet.
    I ,too, would greatly appreciate a knowledgeable person's help in discovering what is the correct conversion formula. Many thanks in advance. pblue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Smile Re: From Oxycontin to MS Contin

Well, my guess is that our expert and so giving, caring member Shore will be along to tell you the correct conversion. He truly is the God send to this board. I wish I knew off hand, but I am quite sure he does. I too had to switch because of our insurance going "strictly generic" and am now on the morphine sulfate. It can be done with no problems if converted properly and then of course, we all respond differently to different meds. and so you may need to be titrated as well. Hang in there in the meantime. When does your switch begin? Surgical Disaster

Old 04-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: From Oxycontin to MS Contin

Hi Pblue, The most common conversion from Oxy to morphine is 1:1.5 meaning oxy 1.5 times stronger. Docs tend to start on the low side, But a fair starting dose with room to make adjustments would be 130mgs of generic LA morphine 3 times a day, You may need to add 30-60 mgs to each dose but docs tend to work up to the higher conversion rate.
    A good gaurenteed conversion to prevent any withdrawal would 160mgs of morphine 3 times day. If that doesn't manage your pain, they make a 200mg generic morphine tablet. 200X3 should certainly do it. You would most likely feel much more sedated on morphine initially so give it time at the beginning and at increases. The sedation does wear off, My head was very clear on morphine. Go figure. . Morphine just causes more sedation where oxy tends to be a little energizing.

Don't get a number stuck in your head where you feel you won't get relief unless you are given X amount of morphine. Some conversions are 1:1 and some 1:1.5, So you will likely start somewhere in that range. Additional BT meds can certainly make the transition easier. If he gave you MSIR in the beginning and you need to adjust your daily intake with BT meds, the bulk of the BT meds can be worked into your long acting version of morpine and then the BT meds can be dropped back to a reasonable level. Good luck, Shore.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User

Shore,

The conversion you posted is extremely helpful, although I am confused regarding the amount of ms vs. oxy. The reason being is my Dr. discussed switching at some point with my current regime to mscontin if I experience tolerance issues which he said is common with those whom use oxy.

The Dr. explained it is helpful sometimes to switch one's pain medication to a different opiate due to pain receptors responding differently to certain pain medications. If the conversion of oxy to mscontin would basically be the same amount, what would be the benefit to switch if one is going to basically remain on the same mg dose?

In your experience, is taking a break from your current med helpful with tolerance?

Thank You

Old 04-11-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
    pblue

pblue HB User

Many thanks to those of you who replied. I finally called the manufacturer of Morphine SR (Purdue Pharma) and they faxed me a very helpful sheet on Oxycontin and Morphine SR conversion. Your answers were "right on" and as useful as the sheet. The phone number for the place I contacted is (888) 726-7535. Use it if needed. Thanks again. pblue

Old 04-11-2004, 06:02 AM   #6
    pblue

pblue HB User

Hi Shore,
    Thanks very much for your reply re:Oxycontin to Morphine SR. I finally got a similar answer by contacting the manufacturer. Yours was far more comprehensive and useful. Many thanks again. pblue

Last edited by pblue; 04-11-2004 at 06:04 AM.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi PB and Criztene, The resaon why OxyC and morphine act diferently is that they act on different receptors and are in a different class. Oxy is a pro drug in the Keto opioid class where Morphine is an Opium alkaloy more similar to Heroin and codeine, Up untill 1979 you actually had to have opium to make morphine untill they discovered how to synthesize it. Oxycodone,hydrocodone,Hydromorphone Oxymorphone and the 2 others are synthetics in this class are derivatives of thybain, one of the major alkoloys in Opium.

So your actually changing an entire class of opiates although the transition is usually smooth because they are similar in many ways. Hope your doing well with the transition PB.

The idea of the pump is seeming more and more like a no brainer and I should get over my uncertainty.
    Take care, Dave
    PS Pudue's website has the full prescribing info on both drugs , you just have to dig a little into the "our products section." Same with all med manufacturers

Last edited by Shoreline; 04-11-2004 at 01:47 PM.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
    chriztene
    (female)

chriztene HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Hi PB and Criztene, The resaon why OxyC and morphine act diferently is that they act on different receptors and are in a different class. Oxy is a pro drug in the Keto opioid class where Morphine is an Opium alkaloy more similar to Heroin and codeine, Up untill 1979 you actually had to have opium to make morphine untill they discovered how to synthesize it. Oxycodone,hydrocodone,Hydromorphone Oxymorphone and the 2 others are synthetics in this class are derivatives of thybain, one of the major alkoloys in Opium.

So your actually changing an entire class of opiates although the transition is usually smooth because they are similar in many ways. Hope your doing well with the transition PB.

The idea of the pump is seeming more and more like a no brainer and I should get over my uncertainty.
    Take care, Dave
    PS Pudue's website has the full prescribing info on both drugs , you just have to dig a little into the "our products section." Same with all med manufacturers
    Dave,

It's awesome to hear that you are adjusting to your pain pump and its working for you. I wish you continued success. Thanks for all of the valuable info.

Closed Thread