It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• dyhydrocodiene??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
    ruko4
    (male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User
    dyhydrocodiene??

What is dyhydrocodiene? I probably spelled it wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: dyhydrocodiene??

Hi Shawn, DF118 "dihydrocodeine" is roughly equivelent to Tylenol 3 in 30mg doses and tylenol 4 in the 60 mg dose

It's also compounded with cafeine and apsirin in DHC+ for headaches

Dihydrocodeine Compound (dye-hye-droe-KOE-deen KOM-pound)

Drug Class: Analgesic, Narcotic

Description:
    For the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain. CONTRAINDICATIONS Hypersensitivity to dihydrocodeine, codeine, or aspirin. WARNINGS Salicylates should be used with extreme caution in the presence of peptic ulcer or coagulation abnormalities. Drug Dependence

What is aspirin/ caffeine/ dihydrocodeine?
    Dihydrocodeine (related to codeine) is in a class of drugs called narcotic analgesics. It relieves pain.
    Aspirin is a less potent pain reliever, as well as an anti-inflammatory and a fever reducer. Aspirin increases the effects of dihydrocodeine.
    Caffeine is believed to constrict dilated blood vessels that may contribute to tension headaches.
    Aspirin/ caffeine/ dihydrocodeine is used to treat moderate-to-severe pain.
    Aspirin/ caffeine/ dihydrocodeine may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

When compared to ibuprofen 400 mg both dihydrocodeine 30 mg and 60 mg were significantly inferior. REVIEWER'S CONCLUSIONS: A single 30 mg dose of dihydrocodeine is not sufficient to provide adequate pain relief in postoperative pain. Statistical superiority of ibuprofen 400 mg over dihydrocodeine (30 mg or 60 mg) was shown.

The advantage of DHC is that codeine is harsher on the stomach than the synthetic version of codeine, DF118 "dihydrocodeine"
    Good luck, Shore
    PS, Are you in the UK, I just happen to know DHC is used more often in the UK and have never met anyone in the states that has used it. May just be an oddball med most docs are not familiar with.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:18 AM   #3
    Stardazed
    (female)

Stardazed HB User
    Question Re: dyhydrocodiene?? Shoreline?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    When compared to ibuprofen 400 mg both dihydrocodeine 30 mg and 60 mg were significantly inferior. REVIEWER'S CONCLUSIONS: A single 30 mg dose of dihydrocodeine is not sufficient to provide adequate pain relief in postoperative pain. Statistical superiority of ibuprofen 400 mg over dihydrocodeine (30 mg or 60 mg) was shown. The advantage of DHC is that codeine is harsher on the stomach than the synthetic version of codeine, DF118 "dihydrocodeine"
    Shoreline, thank you for your comment to me on the methadone vs morphine thread. I'd like to ask you where you get your drug info, especially the "comparison" info? I like that feature. The only two that I've found that I like are drugs.com and the PDR. Are you a dr?
    Also, you said Meth was an agonist, do you know if Ultram is too? You remind me of someone on the other message board I'm on (there's a brain in the title, can't say the name on here unfortunately), but I can't think who.......Hmm I wonder if you will see this, if so thanks again.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
    ruko4
    (male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

My girlfriend just got back from Bermuda and while she was there she and her cousin had a scooter accident.The cousin broke her shoulder in four places and still may have to have an artificial shoulder put in if it doesn't heal properly. Anyway they gave 90 tabs of Dihydrocodiene, I always make sure my girlfriend remembers the names of drugs especially ones for pain as I am very interested in pain management.Thanks Shoreline for your reply you seem like you really know your drugs and are very knowledgeable when it comes to pain management.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Shawn, I knew it had to come from a province of the UK or whatever the correct term is. They use some meds that we don't in the US. I really don't understand why one country would deem a med safe and another not interested in making the product available.

I know the FDA in the US is tough on new patents and demand lengthy clinical trials to aprove a new drug. Perhaps they Figure the expense to get FDA aproval for US use wouldn't be worth the time and money when we have so many other drugs to choose from.?

I'm not a doc, But I do play one on TV.LOL.. Actually my brother has PHd's in microbiology and imunology and has tought me and given me passwords to navigate the .med sites and gave me access to certain .gov sites. I also have 11 years of CP experience and have tried every non opiate method and every opiate available in the US. First hand experience I wish I didn't have.LOL

I usually go straight to the source for drug info, the PDR is just a compiled list of al the information on that little piece of paper folded like a map glued to the bottle of meds in the pharmacy.A new PDR every year to cover the newmeds would be too expensive, so I go to the manufacturer. You can find the manufacturer of each med at
    [url]www.needymeds.com[/url] and then click on the drugInfo link to go to the source. That folded piece of paper is the info they submit to the FDA and the same info can be found at the manufactureers web site.

I did find a great site that looked like it had about every manufacturer you can imagine that I have added to my list of manufacturers in the pain management field.

Just scroll down to your manufacturer of choice and the full prescribing info is available somewhere at each site, also Imprint codes, NDC codes and other things you might need. This site is a site that list all the drug companies and also has other useful links and notices about drug recalls.
    [url]http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php?pageID=manufacturers.htm[/url]
    Take care, Shore66

Last edited by Shoreline; 04-06-2004 at 04:52 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
    ebreit42
    (male)

ebreit42 HB User

I am wondering if anyone knows whether the brand of dihydrocodeine 'DF118' is purely DHC or does it contain acetaminophen (aka Paracetamol or APAP). I have read that the brand DF118 is available in the UK in 30 or 60mg tablets that only contain the narcotic.

I ask because I suffer from severe chronic pain and cannot tolerate acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or any other OTC or prescription pain reliever that has those drugs. FYI: I have never become addicted to any drug, which is not to say that I am somehow better than a person who has. I enjoyed the side effects of narcotic pain relievers, and as someone who has treatment resistant major depressive disorder with severe anxiety I understand the addictive impulse. I also used to be physically dependent on (not addicted to) clonazepam, a drug used to control panic attacks.

But enough about me. Does DF118 contain only dihydrocodeine, or is it mixed with another drug(s)?

I'd like to try and add something helpful to Shoreline's posts. From what I've read and discussions with my doctor, DHC has from 1 to 1.5 times the analgesic effect of codeine. However, codeine is harder for the body to metabolize. According to my doctor, 15% of the population cannot metabolize codeine into morphine and thus derive no analgesic effect. However, dihydrocodeine is metabolized into dihydromorphone, and that is much easier for people to do, although I do not have data on the subject. Also, I believe that dihydromorphone is used as a drug in itself in Japan.

Regards,
    ebreit42

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
    Mandy1970
    (female)

Mandy1970 HB User

i have been on df118s 4 15 years its a very bad drug please take my advice get of it now i need at 20 till40 a day and if u dont stop they will rule ur life and ruin it iv been atending ssquare hospital and iv tryed 2 get on methadone as it will kill me yes im lucky im a live iv been on utv late and live talking about my addication do not drink with any drug and please stop it now b4 it takes over ur life u sound like a decent man my adive 2 u is please stop this drug asap and if ur taking it 4 pain get ur doctor 2 change it and dizapan is danger when u take this drug together i no it makes u feel good but beleave me it starts of 1 then 2 then it keeps on please do not drink at all with it i pray 4 u and its better 2 have a drink than 2 take drugs i dont think ull die if u take a couple but id b worrying about u getting used 2 this drug please take my advice take care mandy

Old 07-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
    Mandy1970
    (female)

Mandy1970 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebreit42 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows whether the brand of dihydrocodeine 'DF118' is purely DHC or does it contain acetaminophen (aka Paracetamol or APAP). I have read that the brand DF118 is available in the UK in 30 or 60mg tablets that only contain the narcotic.

I ask because I suffer from severe chronic pain and cannot tolerate acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or any other OTC or prescription pain reliever that has those drugs. FYI: I have never become addicted to any drug, which is not to say that I am somehow better than a person who has. I enjoyed the side effects of narcotic pain relievers, and as someone who has treatment resistant major depressive disorder with severe anxiety I understand the addictive impulse. I also used to be physically dependent on (not addicted to) clonazepam, a drug used to control panic attacks.

But enough about me. Does DF118 contain only dihydrocodeine, or is it mixed with another drug(s)?

I'd like to try and add something helpful to Shoreline's posts. From what I've read and discussions with my doctor, DHC has from 1 to 1.5 times the analgesic effect of codeine. However, codeine is harder for the body to metabolize. According to my doctor, 15% of the population cannot metabolize codeine into morphine and thus derive no analgesic effect. However, dihydrocodeine is metabolized into dihydromorphone, and that is much easier for people to do, although I do not have data on the subject. Also, I believe that dihydromorphone is used as a drug in itself in Japan.

Regards,
    ebreit42
    yes it is all dhc and is one of the worst drugs 2 b on iv been addicted 4 15 years now and cant live without then please luv get of it b4 it rules and ruins ur life and beleave me it will i hope u take my advice all the best mandy

Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandy1970 View Post
    yes it is all dhc and is one of the worst drugs 2 b on iv been addicted 4 15 years now and cant live without then please luv get of it b4 it rules and ruins ur life and beleave me it will i hope u take my advice all the best mandy
    This is totally not true for chronic pain patients. Less than 5% of chronic pain patients taking opiod/opiate medications will become addicted to them. The majority continue to take them merely for pain relief and if the pain is no longer there can get off of them without any problems. As long as you:

1. Take the medication as prescribed
    2. Don't take more than prescribed EVER (no matter how much pain you are in)
    3. Don't get pain meds from more than 1 doctor
    4. Don't pharmacy shop (use only 1 pharmacy to fill your meds)
    5. Take pain meds for legitimate pain
    6. Get pain meds only from a doctor

If you follow these rules then you will not become addicted to the pain medications. You have a 95% chance or higher that you will NEVER become addicted to them. I am a recovering drug addict and take pain medications and have never taken more than prescribed. Even for a recovering addict, it can be done and I live by myself too so if I wanted to abuse I could easily do it. I only take them for the pain.

brian

Closed Thread