It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• how many here due to failed back surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #1
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    how many here due to failed back surgery?

I was just wondering as there seem to be so many people who have had failed back surgery, how many people are here on this board taking pain meds for their back or failed back surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
    cookie51
    Veteran
    (female)

cookie51 HB User
    Re: how many here due to failed back surgery?

Hi Betty, I Am One Of Those People With More Problems After Back Surgery Than I Started With. Still Have Pain In Lower Back And Shooting Pain In Leg Also Drop Foot, And Now Due To Fall From Foot Drop, Anlke Has Pins And Plates, Also Need Surgery On Shoulder That Was Dislocated Due To Fall, So All This Since 2002, Feels Like A Lifetime. Hope All Goes Well For You, And Hope You Have A Pain Free Evening.
    Cookie

Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Count me as 1. After 4 surgeries on L5-S1, I have been diagnosed with FBS and spinal stenosis. It's been a long road.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 04-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

One of the checkers where I shop told me today that her husband had back surgery and it went wrong the first week. Something that they put in broke so he had to go back in and get it redone, meantime he became addicted to pain meds.

The guy in the bed next to him died. He had MS. The success rate with people with MS is much lower that people who don't have it. He died on the operating table.

So, this checker's husband got a cortizone shot two years ago and it going in for surgery a third time.

I have been reading a lot of forums, chat rooms, message boards such as this, and the outlook for back surgery is bleak. I plugged *failed back surgery* into the search engine and came to the conclusion that back surgery is not an option in my book.

I would rather be a pain med addict then let them cut on me or my husband.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Yup, 3 failed surgeries, 2 were fusion's and 2 sets of broken hardware. All Lumbar
    It's amazing how the success rate of spine surgery changes from doc to doc. Is it 90% 75% or 50% the first go round, then it drops even lower with each following attempt and with each additional level involved.
    I calculated the odds of success after my last surgery and just going in I was at
    -125%, 6 levels and the 3rd attempt to correct.
    Shore

Old 04-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Thanks for posting that. I wish that the people on the back board who are scheduled for sugery or have had surgery or even thinking about it would read the stories of people who have failed surgeries.

Old 04-08-2004, 05:07 AM   #7
    cricket2764
    (female)

cricket2764 HB User

I would just like to say I have had 2 back surgerys and am still not able to work. Went yesterday and had epidural steriod shots. Wont ever have another one. I post on the back board most of the time. I have only had 2 disectomys with lamnectiomys(not good with spelling).

Old 04-08-2004, 07:15 AM   #8
    cookie51
    Veteran
    (female)

cookie51 HB User

Hi Cricket,
    I Too Had Back Surgery In 2002, They Did Microdisktomy, As A Result I Have Had Foot Drop And Have A Shooting Nerve In My Left Leg. They Want To Put In A Spinal Cord Stimulator, But I Am So Afraid Because Of Foot Surgery As A Result Of Foot Drop And Having A Blood Clot In My Lung, To Face Such A Dramatic Surgery Just Terrifys Me. I Am Still On The Coumodon And Are Facing Surgery On My Left Shoulder Because Of The Fall I Dislocated Shoulder And Have 3 Tears In It. I Think They Want To Do Like Laser Surgery, But Even That Scares Me To Death. I Am In Therepy, I Dont Think That Does Anything Been There So Many Times Never Helps. Keep Me Informed How Everything Is Going For You And I Hope All Goes Well For You. Best Of Luck Cookie

Old 04-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #9
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cricket2764
    I would just like to say I have had 2 back surgerys and am still not able to work. Went yesterday and had epidural steriod shots. Wont ever have another one. I post on the back board most of the time. I have only had 2 disectomys with lamnectiomys(not good with spelling).
    No Cricket, not the dreaded Epidural shots!!!!!

Just say no to the shots. You need to surf the web and read The Burton Report. Those are really bad for you. That is just a stop gap for patients that docs don't know what to do with.

Before another surgery do a lot of research on the net regarding failed surgeries and the options now available.

I thought that I needed surgery for DDD, a herniated disk, and a pain in my right buttock check. I solved the pain with Prolotherapy, Betrax for arthritis, and Neurtontin for pain (non-narcotic). I also included lots of stretching. Yesterday I went to the Neurologist and he finally diagnosed me with synovial cysts that need to be removed. This, after a year, lots of docs and turning down surgery and shots.

I wish you luck in trying to find a solution for your pain. I had read about Central Pain on the net and was scared to death. That is what made me push for answers.

take care,

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #10
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookie51
    Hi Cricket,
    I Too Had Back Surgery In 2002, They Did Microdisktomy, As A Result I Have Had Foot Drop And Have A Shooting Nerve In My Left Leg. They Want To Put In A Spinal Cord Stimulator, But I Am So Afraid Because Of Foot Surgery As A Result Of Foot Drop And Having A Blood Clot In My Lung, To Face Such A Dramatic Surgery Just Terrifys Me. I Am Still On The Coumodon And Are Facing Surgery On My Left Shoulder Because Of The Fall I Dislocated Shoulder And Have 3 Tears In It. I Think They Want To Do Like Laser Surgery, But Even That Scares Me To Death. I Am In Therepy, I Dont Think That Does Anything Been There So Many Times Never Helps. Keep Me Informed How Everything Is Going For You And I Hope All Goes Well For You. Best Of Luck Cookie
    Cookie, at one point I had foot drop. I had done a lot of sitting in a chair at my temp job. The Neurologist told me that it had nothing to do with my back but it was from cutting off the nerve and blood supply to my foot when I sat.

Have they checked out this possibility? Why the foot surgery? Blood Clot in the lung>

As for the shouder, it can and will heal itself unless it is really bad. Usually doctors let it heal. I tore and rotator cuff and it healed on its own. The statistics on that is 50% heal on their own. And, if you have surgery, there is only a 50% chance of it working.

Closed Thread