It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• bone infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User
    bone infection

Has anyone had any experience with bone infection that they can share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: bone infection

hey linda,

there is a woman on this board and some others who is currently in the hospital as we speak who is being treated for some sort of bone infection in her hip.i know that she is currently getting IV antibiotics. we are hoping she recovers soon.I am certain that when she is out and able, she will have loads to tell you regarding it.her name is Meredeth.sorry i don't have any experience with this myself. Marcia

Old 04-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Linda, What's up? I had osteo myolitis SP? severe bone infection following a tooth extraction that spread into my jaw, I was hopitalized because oral AntiB's rarely touch OM. I spent a week in-patient then they put in a pick line that runs from your elbow to your heart to prevent damage to the veins from potent antiB's.

I had to give myself a bag of clyndomyacin 3 times a day for an additional month once I came home. Then had surgery 3 times to remove damaged bone and to reopen my mouth, I ended up with a version of lock jaw where I couldn't open my mouth more than 10mm. The massiter muscle and few others muscles had to be released to open my jaw and then I slowly cranked my mouth back open with a stack of toungue depressors held with a rubber band. I would slowly slip one depressor in after another untill I was propped open with a stack of 20 depressors which opened my mouth to about 40mm which is slightly smaller than average. But still functional. The whole thing was a nightmare that could have been prevented if the oral surgeon had prescribed antibiotics at any of the 5 follow up visits, he kept calling the problem a dry socket and trauma.

I finally went back to the dentist and ask him to Xray my jaw because I was sure it was broken, he said it wasn't broken but you have a heck of an infection. He admitted me and turned me over to an infectious disease doc.

What's going on?
    Dave

Old 04-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
    Kayley
    Veteran
    (female)

Kayley HB User

Oh, my goodness Dave, what you've been through just floors me! I didn't know you'd been through all that too! When's your permanent pump scheduled to be installed?
    Kayley

Old 04-11-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

My Followup for the pump to schedule, if that's what I decide will happen in 2 weeks from the 9th, the day of the trial, I don't have a clalander handy but it's thursday after next I can make apts after I decide what doc and Hospital I want it implanted.
    We have no shortage of hospitals here. LOL
    If you live close to a hopital and have chest pain, drive yourself, It will take your 40 mintes to travel 5 miles away from home. That's from the time you call wait for an ambulance, answer10,000 questions, round up medds, pull over on the side of the road because the IV guy has cought up with you and wants to set an IV before you make it to the hospital. That's what my trip was like when I had the heart attack.

To top things off they gave me Nubain for post op pain from the cardiac cath procedure, Nubain is a combo opiate agonist/antagonist and it sent me right into withdrawal in the CCICU. Always ask what your being givin, I asumed it was more morphine as they had given me morph in the ER, during the hart attack and knew they were waiting on my meds from home because they didn't stock Kadian or 30mg Roxicodone at the time, so I brought my own drugs for my hopital stay. Crazy, all the stuff I have been through.

Anyway, what did you need to know about OM Linda, Happy to share any info I have or know about it.
    Dave

Old 04-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

My most recent xray of my mouth (been having pain on and off for 8 years, becoming much worse in the last six months) shows a root tip and a dark spot underneath. I haven't been to the oral surgeon yet, but am wondering if it could be infection. So I'm just curious to know what that would mean.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Linda, A bone scan would be the absolute definitive test however depending on the tooth, whether you have had a root canal, it could be several things and OM usually spreads very fast, If it's been a few years and just intensified in the last 6 months, that just doesn't sound like OM.

What it does sound like is if you have a Root canal on a tooth and they leave the tip of the nerve in the very end of the root. Then they fill on top and the remaining nerve root will dye, develop gas, create pain and evetually spill out the tip of the root and cause a small granular cyst. They basically do a reverse root canal called an Apecoectomy. They make an incision in the gum line and remove the root tip and cyst, pack it with colegen and sew ya back up. I've had one of them puppies too. Kind of unbelievable how much crud I have been through.

My wifes' only reservation about the pump is that I know something will go wrong.LOL

Try not to worry. OM is a nasty infection but it spreads very fast and destroys bone in its wake. It sounds more like a granular cyst at the tip of the root. AN oral surgeon can figure this out, hopefully. As long as your not seeing the jerk that removed my tooth after my dentist riped the top off and left roots in an exposed socket for 24 hours and then told me I didn't need antibiotics on 5 consecutive days to look at the thing because something was wrong.

My jaw was closing, face was swelling and he was more concerned about prescribing antibiotics for an infection that he couldn't see any sign off, and me needing a second script for pain medicine. Well no crap, the infection was in the bone, I didn't have stuff running out of the whole. Just a bunch of other bad stuff happening that he wrote off as just trauma and possibly a dry socket.

6 weeks later I was off IV antibiotics, still had lock jaw, had to see an opthamologist because the infection damaged the optic nerve in one eye and it took some barbaric surgeries to reopen my mouth. That was brutal.

I do seem to have more complications then most people. LOL

Take care and let us know how things go. Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 04-12-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Smile Re: bone infection

Jeez Shore, you really have had more than your share. Well, don't think there will be any wait at the gate when your get there!(sorry, just some humor I often share with my husband about what I've been through!). You really are a trooper. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint out of you on this board, and if anyone has a right to it sure seems like you are entitled. Do you know yet if you are going for the pump? It must be a very tough decision, I know it would be for me. Anyway, keep us up to date on you too k? Love, Surgical Disaster

Closed Thread