It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
    Jtruzman

Jtruzman HB User
    "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

Has anyone else run into this problem? I have so called 'friends' that have stolen from me many times. The reason I am posting this is because a 'friend' of mine that I just got done talking to yelled at me for not giving him 2 methadone's for his 'pain'. We got into a knock down verbal fight on the phone because I told him that I would not give him my methadone's because I needed them for my chronic pain. If he needed to get medication, he should go to the DR. Of course I knew that he was just trying to get high. That's all he does, he tells me about it all the time and now he has the nerve to try to get some of my meds for his high ? HELL NO! I mean, this guy was yelling at me ! He told me that he needed them right now and he would get me some Hydrocodone 10's in a few days to replace the ones I gave him. I told him that it was illegal for him to do that.. and that I am taking Methadone not hydrocodone, and that it's two different drugs. The only reason he knew i was on methadone was that he saw my rx bag from Drug Emporium in my car with all the info on the methadone. Im sooo frustrated... and I know this person has stolen from me in the past.. Hydrocodones... Talwins.... any type of narcotic... it really really hurts me that he did that and now this... i don't know what to do...

HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
    Kayley
    Veteran
    (female)

Kayley HB User
    Re: "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

If I had a "friend" like that, I wouldn't be friends with them anymore. I would just stop taking his calls. Why would you want to hang around someone like that? He doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
    jhmitch
    (female)

jhmitch HB User
    Lightbulb Re: "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jtruzman
    I have so called 'friends' that have stolen from me many times. The reason I am posting this is because a 'friend' of mine that I just got done talking to yelled at me for not giving him 2 methadone's for his 'pain'. ... i don't know what to do...
    Kayley is right; a true friend would never steal from you.

Please ask yourself some difficult questions, such as why you are willing to stay in a relationship where your 'friend' regards you primarily as a drug resource rather than a valued human being.

Once you've answered that, getting rid of your problem should be a lot easier

Best wishes,

"It is more about the journey... than the destination"

Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

I had a babysitter that I found out was stealing my pain meds and going through my stuff. I called the cops and reported the crime after confronting her and having her admit it and then I fired her. I would not be friends with anyone that stole from me especially repeatedly. You are being used. Wake up and see what is happening! This is not a friend or anyone that values you or respects your pain. Get away from them asap.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:52 AM   #5
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Unhappy Re: "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

I had a babysitter do the same thing to me the day before I was getting re-married. I had just gotten a script filled, and no one was here but she and my 3 and 5 yr. old children. Hubby was at work. I went to take a med. before hubby was even home and found HALF the bottle gone!!! This person was used through an agency I used for 5 yrs. So I called them and told them what happened and they said, no one else has ever had a problem with her(they did not believe me). I offered to set up a nanny cam, as this is their liability and they refused!! Well, needless to say, I will never use them again, and I can't wait for the day I read about her getting caught, as I am sure she will at some point. Luckily my Dr. knew me well, and called in a new script for the missing pills, or I'd have had a lousy honeymoon. People will never cease to amaze me. I'd say stay away from that "friend", you will get hurt in the long run. Even though it may hurt now, you'll be better off in the long run. Take care, Surgical Disaster

Old 05-04-2004, 06:10 AM   #6
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

jtruzman,
    friends dont steal is right.i always keep my meds hidden.i think youd be suprised how many people would take a couple if they were left out and the truth is as dependent cp patients we have a reponsability to keep our meds safe.ive had friends ask for some.i just explain how i have a set amount to last through the month and besides transfer of class 2 meds is a felony.if this so called friend has a problem with your refusal then he/she is not a friend.................................. ...........scott

Old 05-04-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I WAS ON METHADONE MY FRIEND WAS VERY ADDICTED TO PAIN MEDS SO I SET HER UP I BROUGHT MY BOTTLE WHICH WAS SUPPOSE TO BE METHADONE 5 MGS SO I REPLACED THEM WITH SOMETHING THAT LOOKED SIMILAR NOTHING HARMFUL AND COUNTED THEM LEFT MY PURSE IN THE CAR TOOK AWHILE IN THE STORE AND WHEN I GOT HOME SURE ENOUGH MISSING PILLS SO I CONFRONTED HER AND OF COURSE SHE LIED AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVENT TALKED TO HER IN 5 MONTHS SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST AWFUL SHE WAS THE TYPE TO BEG ME EVERYDAY AND IN THE BEGINNING I WOULD DO IT AND SHE PROMISED ME HYDROS IN RETURN AND NEEDLESS TO SAY I NEVER SAW THE HYDROS SO OF COURSE I'D RUN OUT EARLY AND HAVE TO SUFFER WITH PAIN AND W/DS JUST WANTED TO SHARE THIS KELLEIGH

Old 05-04-2004, 06:42 AM   #8
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User

Oh yes I had so called friends that would always ask if I had a script and could they have some. I would always tell them that no I ran out and haven't gotten a script yet. We as cronic pain sufferers need to protect our meds and rights to live a pain free life. Needless to say I am not friends with these people anymore and feel so much better now that I don't have to wonder if someone is going to ask me for some pain meds for them to get high! I now switch the places that I keep my meds just in case and don't let others ecxept those I know I can trust what I take for my pain. Keeps it much easier there. TC Mo

Last edited by Mo7609; 05-04-2004 at 06:43 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #9
    Jtruzman

Jtruzman HB User

Thanks everyone..
    I have already distanced myself from this person. It's just something that is very hard to do since we have been friends since highschool. My girlfriend has been giving me the exact same advice as ya'll have. It's an everyday thing with this person asking for pain meds... it's really really tough. One thing too is that everytime he asks me he sais ' just tell me if I am asking too much ' and when I do, he does not take NO for an answer... he is severely addicted to pain meds and he really needs help. I've seen him come close to getting caught by people and the police. I've seen him steal from other peoples houses and also buying them from people off of the street. One thing I failed to mention was that he called me an hour later after we got into that fight and apologized. However, this is nothing new to me. I've seen him do this to other people. Harrass them for pills until they finally break and give him some. I WONT BE APART OF THAT! The only thing I am afraid of is that he will somehow manage to get to my pills in one way or another and when he does he's gonna steal all of them. I can't have pills missing ya know? I'm on METHADONE.. It's impossible to get the rx refilled if I lost them or have them stolen.. it sais so in the contract I signed. Anyway, i've confronted him about his problem but the only thing he sais is ' I know I have a problem, I just don't want to hear about it now.' that's the only thing he sais ALL THE TIME. I'm gonna distance myself from him, but if he steals from me in one way or another and I found out.. i'm very very tempted to call the police on him.. the ironic thing is that we both work together at the University Police Dept. where we go to school! He's actually STOLEN narcotics from the DEPT!!! So that shows you how bad things are with him.. I already have enough to put him away for a while but he has a lot going for him and I don't want these pills to mess his life up! Oh well.. I hope he gets help or I hope I can figure something out for him... it's just that if he wants to help himself he can get through this.. if he doesn't he will never get anywhere ....

thanks ya'll.
    Joe

Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 AM   #10
    Kaylbe

Kaylbe HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jtruzman
    I hope I can figure something out for him... it's just that if he wants to help himself he can get through this.. if he doesn't he will never get anywhere ....
    Joe,

You are a good friend, but it's not up to you to figure out a way to help this person. Help won't come until this guy decides he wants it and seeks it for himself.

As for your own pain medication, I'd tell this person I had stopped the meds. Say that between the doctors and the pharmacy, it was just too much of a hassle getting the scripts. He would relate to this, I'm sure. He may call for pills again. Just repeat that you don't use them anymore. To protect your medication I would not put myself in any type of a position where this person might have access to it. Don't leave meds in your car, in your school supplies, in your coat pockets, etc. Keep a close watch on your keys. Don't have this person in your home. And find a safe place to keep your meds at home. I purchased one of those fake Coke cans with a false bottom and I keep my main supply in there. It sits on my nightstand along with other real soda cans (usually!)

I'm sorry to hear about the position you've been put it. It's obvious that you are a caring person and a good friend. This person is taking advantage of you and preying upon those qualities. You can't continue to be a part of his madness.

--Kaylbe

Old 05-06-2004, 02:23 AM   #11
    sirsickalot

sirsickalot HB User
    Lightbulb Re: "FRIENDS" Stealing Your Pain Meds

Get one of those bank bags with a heavy duty lock. keep only part of your meds with you in the locked bag. The rest of your meds can be put in a hard to find place like in the fridge behind the temp control or in a frozen vegitable box in the freezer. Most druggys won't look there. Also, if there is a fire in your house, God forbid, your meds will probably be safe in the fridge.
    I really like the bank bag idea. I never have to worry when I go to the bathroom or leave someone in my house, and you don't ever have to worry about children getting to them. Put the key on your car keys and keep them with you. The only way to get into the bag is heavy duty cutters, and that would be considered breaking and entering felony robbery. Bank bags can be found on the internet for $20 or so. This method has given me peace of mind for years.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:29 AM   #12
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

He Joe, I've been through the same thing with "friends" Toothaches, bad backs, knees, headaches, whatever the excuse dejour is to help out a friend.

I'm glad you are aware that it is your responsibility to protect these meds. Docs rarely replace stolen or lost meds, Those excuses have been used up long ago.

Whatever it takes to protect them, particularly when your out of your home. You don't want to carry a month's worth of meds on you because accidents actually do happen, just not quite as often as docs and pharmacists are told. So the pills left at home can be a target when someone knows your work schedule. You definitely need to find a good spot where nobody will look or think of looking.

There are some neat gadgets available, Like false shaving cream cans with false bottoms to hide valuables, A False electric sockets can be made for the cost of the switch plate and the empty electric box. About 5 bucks. They also make things simply for storage that look like the belong in the fridge but are nothing but false items used for storage. Not many foks will look in the mustard jar for medication. Just be careful, because you know who ends up paying the price.

Be safe and be careful. It's sad what a problem it is. Be sure to tear up pharmacy trash and remove labels from bottles before going in the trash. You don't want to make yourself a target of people you don't even know. Wouldn't be too fun to come home and find a neighbor rummaging through your sock drawer because someone saw what was in your trash.

It's crazy we have to worry about this stuff. But once the meds are in our possession they are our responsibility to protect from loss and theft.
    Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread