It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• must be withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    must be withdrawal

I had a wedding last weekend that we had to drive 8 hours one way for. After we got back my pain levels were sky high so I spoke with my doc and asked for a med increase. She said no problem for 1 week. Because I increased I ran out of meds Sunday night a week earlier than I should have. Dumb me didn't realize I would run out then and never made a doc appointment. Of course when I phoned Monday morning they said she was off for a few days!! I hate this feeling!! My arms are feeling extremely strange, almost like a stinging that goes from my elbows right to my fingertips and I can not get comfortable no matter what I do. I've never had this before so I'm assuming its the withdrawal. I don't think I've slept for more than 4 or 5 hours each night. I have an appointment with her this afternoon, thank goodness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    Re: must be withdrawal

Oh I have had that happen once before and hate the way that feels. From the sounds of it you are going through W/D; thank goodness you get to go and see the Dr today. I hope that you are feeling better soon. TC Mo

Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

That sucks twist. What you experienced is a version of restless leg syndrome. Often your legs will feel the same when you lay down, You can kick and flip flop like a fish and they just don't feel right. Hopefully they will get you squared away.
    Hang in there, Dave

Was it your wedding bud? I'm terrible, wasn't someone getting married monday, You perhaps? If so congrats. What a way to ruin a trip and a honey moon.. A Local doc couldn't help you out or did you come right back after the wedding?

Old 05-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #4
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

definitly w/d they suck

Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Yeah guys thats what I figured was going on. It is just an incredibly terrible feeling. Only a few more hours to go till I see the doc!! Shore I've been married to my hubby for 19 years. I think its Surgical Disaster that got married Monday in Vegas. We left on a Friday and came home on Sunday and that is just way too much sitting in a vehicle for me. Thanks all and I'll post after I get home.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Yeah, I got my meds refilled!! She increased my RX from 90 oxycodones to 110. I'm not sure why, I never noticed until I got to the pharmacy to fill it. It would make more sense to me to increase my base med instead of my breakthrough one but I'll take what I can get!! Shore, how long would I go through withdrawals if I hadn't of got them refilled? I'm on 30 mg of MScontin a.m and 60 p.m and 10 mg of oxycodone up to 3 a day and I've been on pain meds for about 1 year. I'm just wondering in the hopes I'll eventually be able to get off of them.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User

Hey Twisten everyone is different but I can tell you from when I detoxed from 80mg 3x day of Oxycontin that I had 4 days of serious W/D and then very mild for about a week. This is after taking the med for 1 year; I thought that maybe I could do with out the meds but no no no I can't. PAin is too incredible! I'm glad that everything worked out for you though such a horrible thing to go through! Mo

Old 05-06-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Twist, If they taper you properly and supply some of the meds to ease withdrawal symptoms like Clonidine and librium, they could taper you off in about 30 days and it may take a few months for everything like sleep patterns to return to normal.

The thing to remeber, even if you had a surgery to remove your pain and it was succesful, You still want to taper, not DC the meds to fast because part of the W/D process is increased pain because you brain hasn't been making natural endorphins. So you want to taper slowly as not to create a false sense of the return of pain.

If you had just gone cold turkey, It would take about 10 days to get passed the worst, then another 30 days to stabalize and some of the other things to return to normal and then it can take several months to get passed the final stages where your body returns to normal. So cold turkey actually creates problems longer than properly tapering.

Cold turkey, things would have gotten steadily worse for about 10 days and then slowly start to improve but there are several phases of that type of withdrawal. The first phase is simply discontinuing the meds and the initial withdrawal. The second phase is from the end of the worst of withdrawal untill about the second month and the third is from about 2 months to 6 months before sleep and everything else returns to normal. That's after years of use.

So properly tapering is definitely the best way to discontinue meds if you find a way to actualy relieve the pain generator. If you do it the right way you would be feeling like yourself again in about 6-8 weeks and be done with the meds. There really is no neeed to make withdrawal worse than it has to be.

Many addictionologist believe the more unpleaseant the experience the more likely you would not return to a drug of choice, But since this isn't addiction and simply physical dependence, the process is much different, more humane and doesn't need to teach you a lesson not to abuse meds again.

Your present dose really isn't that high and could be stepped down over 4-6 weeks with relativey comfort.

I was talkng to my brother last night and he pointed out an interesting fact. When you have problems discontinuing an opiate they call it withdrawal. If you have problems discontinuing an antidepressant they call it abstinence syndrome. Notice the political slant when t concerns a med that's considered a Narcotic and evil drug by the medical and political comunity.LOL

It's Pretty much the same experience, in fact discontinuing Paxil can be more like a bad acid trip than abstinence syndrome. Paxill can be a bear to DC and fries your brain in the process. many compare it to being zapped with high volatage electricity where your brain is just scrambled at each decrease.My Bro is presently tapering off Paxil and he's on a 6 month plan to completely DC the med. Much longer than it would take to DC opiates but doesn't carry the stigma of the "withdrawal" word asociated with narcotics "opiates".

Glad your feelin better, Was it your weddng?
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-06-2004 at 10:06 AM.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
    surgicaldisaster
    Veteran
    (female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
    Smile Re: must be withdrawal

Hi all ! I t was not I that got married, I've been married for years now, I am thinking possibly [email protected](?). Not sure, but I hope we can find out to say congrats!! I'm glad you got your meds!!! Take care everyone!! Love, Surgical Disaster

Old 05-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Thanks for the info Shore. I'm definitely a bit naive about the use of opiates because I never dreamed it would take that long to get them out of a person's system!! Definitely not me that got married as I've been married 19 years to my hubby. I thought it was Surgical Disaster but I guess not. Bugs me now that I can't remember who it was!! Thanks everyone for the replies, it is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Sorry, Meant to say you still do want to taper, not DC meds cold turkey if they could fix you with a surgery. I don't touch type. I look at the keyboard, not the screen. I think I need to proof read a little better.LOL
    Dave

Closed Thread