It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• opiates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2004, 02:17 AM   #1
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User
    opiates

Has anyone had success with one or a combination of opiod/narcotic medications for nerve pain? After doing a lot of reading, it seems the neurological/psychiatric medications they want me to try are a lot more toxic over all to the rest of my body than the opiates. I have yet to find any medication that works. Currently trying the duragesic patch but am only up to two while weaning off oxycontin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: opiates

Hey Linda, Althopugh the common answer from opiate phobic docs is that Neuro pain doesn't respond to opiates, After dozens of clinical trials they know this not to be true. Neuropathic pain does repond to opiates only at higher levels than say visceral pain or somatac pain . I know playing guinea pig gets old and the use of drugs for off label purposes isn't exactly comforting because these meds were never tested for the purpose they are being prescibed. There are some Anti seizure meds and topical applications that aren't quite as harmful, that don't require frequent liver function monitoring and the other fun stuff assiociated with these other meds.

If you present doc isn't familiar with the role of the NMDA receptor and the opiates that have the ability to block this receptor which does help patients with neuropathic pain, you may have to be the one to educate your doc about why Dextromathorpan might help, or why Methadone or levo dromoran might be a better choice than Fentanyl. Compounding topicals with lidocaine and ketamine may help, Infusions of Lidocaine may help. The options are only limited by your docs knowledge of other modalities and there effectiveness. Your involvement in your own treatment plan may motivate him to do some research if you are bringing him info he's unaware of. makes hime lookkinda of silly when the patient has to make the suggestions as to what to try next. He is supposed to be the expert. But the internet can certainly level the playing field especially since most GP's only PM trainng comes in the form a 3 hour lecture , that he hopefully didn't miss in med school.

Because my pain isn't realy neuropathic I can't say X relieved my burning nerve pain. But there is certainly alot of information out there that explains why some meds may be better choices than others.

Be your docs research assistant for the next few months and pile the info on. If he isn't able to comprehend or isn't comfortable using a particular med for some unfounded reason, you may need to find a doc that specializes in Neuro pain.

I wish I could be more help. If they would turn the link feature back on I would be happy to post some interesting info. Without the links, You could go back and use the search feature and look for discusions on NMDA receptor blockers and the role they play along with the opiates that have NMDA blocking ability including the links we could post back then. Discusions about methadone have some of the older links when we were able to post them too.

If there is something in particular you are looking for I would be happy to help you search.
    Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-08-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
    momofsix
    Veteran
    (female)

momofsix HB User

Thanks, Dave. I'll put my husband to work researching those suggestions right away (less stress for me!). I actually have an appointment in a couple of weeks to see a doctor considered one of the foremost experts in pain management in the province of Ontario, so hopefully he will know all about that, but it doesn't hurt to be educated. Do you happen to have a list of the neurological type meds that are less toxic?

Linda

Old 05-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
    sherry47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sherry47 HB User

Hi Dave,
    Can you tell me more about the levo dromoran? I currently use the Duragesic 50mcg patch and Oxy Hydrochloride 10mg every 4 hours for breakthrough pain. I am 3 months out from lumbar spinal fusion and these meds just aren't cutting it. I stay in constant pain.

And believe me, I know about bad pain management docs. I have had a needle jockey, one PM who didn't believe in breakthrough pain, and the most recent who said if my pain was a 9 on a 50mcg Duragesic and Lortab for breakthrough, then I might as well come off all pain meds because my pain couldn't go much higher. ??? (He also practices acupuncture and I think that's what he wanted to try on me) I thought he was supposed to help me manage my pain, not tell me to just live with it. When I went back to my surgeon after that visit he said "if you could come off all pain meds then I wouldn't need to operate on you". From that point on, my surgeon has rx'ed my pain meds. I think he is scared to go any higher on my meds and I don't want to push the subject because I haven't found another PM doc and I don't want my surgeon to stop rx'ing my meds. I'm in a kind of catch 22 here. I can't afford a PM right now as I just got my denial from SSD and my financial situation is in ruins. It's all I can do to pay my co-pay for my surgeon and still be able to pay the co-pays for my meds. It makes me so darn depressed. Any ideas on how I should approach this with my surgeon?

Linda,
    I'm sorry I broke in on your thread like that. I hope the Duragesic works for you. I also take Neurontin for nerve pain. I don't really see where it works that well, but from what I have read on here, my dose doesn't come anywhere close to what most people are taking. I only take 300mg 3 times a day. I wish you all the best. It can be so hard trying to talk to our doctors about our pain. You get scared they are going to think you are just trying to get narcotics. It actually makes me paranoid. I know they are just trying to protect themselves and us but good grief we deserve adequate pain control. I just want my life back. I'm 32 and home bound. It's just plain disgusting.

God Bless,
    Sherry

P.S. Dave you are such a blessing on this board. We are trully lucky to have you. You are so well informed it's amazing. Too bad you're married. LOL. Just kidding.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Linda, Klonopin s one antiseizure that doesn't have thenegative aspects that most AE's do, Lamyctyl sis the newest one docs seem to be leaning towards because it s supposed to helpspeed regenberation of nerve tissue. I need to check the PDR to see what it says about contraindiccations and side effects thogh. My brother has had fairly good luck with Lamyctyl though. Ketamine is a postent NMDA antagonsit which means lsess tolerance, higher pain threshold and better reposnse to Neuropathic pain. Levodromoran or Levorphanol, same thing, is in he class of methadone, another NMDA blocker. It's old and cheap and low doses are usually failrly effectve. It comes in 2 and 4 mg pills and 15-20 mgs is considered a healthy dose of Levo-phanol.

I'll have to come back and get the rest of the questions. I saw Sherry said she wish she cold travel to portsmouth but the 3 hour drive is rough. It would be so worth it though. They handle it all. I can't think of a pain relieving modality they can't offer but won't pressure you to try something you don't want. They have to many options to force you into anything. Once your stable you only have to return every 3 months.

Gotta make dinner. Be back Later. Take care, Dave

Closed Thread