It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycontin/generic/brand/options??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User
    Oxycontin/generic/brand/options??SOMEBODY RESPOND

Have Been On 80 Oc's /brand For Several Years. Need Someone With Experience With Generic So Far. Thinking About Oramorph As A Breakthrough Sub. What Is Duragesic? Anywhere Close To Oc? Also Possabilly Oxycodone 30 Mg. As Breakthrough.let Me Hear From You Guys
    Rexxx

Last edited by REXXX; 05-23-2004 at 06:18 PM. Reason: NO RESPONSES

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Oxycontin/generic/brand/options??

Hey Rex, I just read Teva's full prescribing info on the 80mg tablets. Available at Teva's website. It looks like the same 12 hour formulation that Purdue uses. It has the same dual phasic releae with peaks at .6 hours and 6.9 hours. They also recomend 12 hour dosing, If the dose doesn't provide relief they recomend increaing the BID dose rather than decreasing the the time betwen doses, meaning they don't recomend TID dosing either.

Purdue's Contin patent was developed in 72 and has long expired so other manufacturers can use the exact same release technology. It looks very similar but we really haven't seen many folks using the generic yet. It will take a few months for it to be distributed nationally and for every pharmacy to have the generic available.

I'm not sure why you would need to use a long acting med like Oramorph, It's very similar to MSContin and concurent use is rather unusual unles you are unable to get relief from a single opiate. I have seen folks that use Multiple long acting meds but they are usually extreme cases that are on the far right side of the bell curve that most folks find relief in.

Duragesic is a Fentanyl patch made by Jansen. Endo is coming out with a generic version of that too sometime this year. The patches last from 48 up to 72 hours. Again, your talking about combining 2 different long acting meds, If your considering concurent use of both the patch and long acting oxy.

I'm really not sure what your asking? Roxicodone 30mg would be fine and dose proportionate for the 80 mg OxyContin but You may get better relief by using a different short acting med for BT than you use as a base med. Like OxyContin or the generic with short acting morphine "MSIR" as a BT med would give you a broader range of receptor coverage and likely offer more relief without increasing your tolerance to oxycodone.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 05-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

DAVE
    THANKS FOR ALL. GUESS I WAS A LITTLE CONFUSING IN MY POST. BUT HERE GOESTHE EXPLO.
    HAD BEEN ON 40 MG. OCY 4 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 OR SIX YEARS. CHANGED INS. COMPANYS. THEY ONLY PAY FOR 60 PER MONTH, SO THE DOC SWITCHED ME TO 80'S, TWICE A DAY FOR $$$$$$$ REASONS. HAD BP AT MIDNIGHT, SO HE ADDED 30 20MG OC'S THIS MONTH.
    GOT A FEELING THE INS. CO WILL DEMAND GENERIC OC'S NEXT MONTH OR I PAY THE DIFFERENCE.
    SO I'M THINKING AHEAD OF HOW TO HANDLE THIS.
    THEY PAY FOR ORAMORPH WITH NO LIMITS, MS CONTIN, AND VARIOUS OTHER OPIATES WITH ENOUGH QUANITY FOR ME TO GET OUT OF PAIN AT A CHEAP PRICE.
    READING SOME OTHER BOARDS, THERE SEEMS TO BE A GOOD AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ON TEVA'S LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE SOME DOSING PROBLEMS.
    WITH THAT SAID, ANY SUGGESTIONS/
    rexxx

Old 05-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline
    Hey Rex, I just read Teva's full prescribing info on the 80mg tablets. Available at Teva's website. It looks like the same 12 hour formulation that Purdue uses. It has the same dual phasic releae with peaks at .6 hours and 6.9 hours. They also recomend 12 hour dosing, If the dose doesn't provide relief they recomend increaing the BID dose rather than decreasing the the time betwen doses, meaning they don't recomend TID dosing either.

Purdue's Contin patent was developed in 72 and has long expired so other manufacturers can use the exact same release technology. It looks very similar but we really haven't seen many folks using the generic yet. It will take a few months for it to be distributed nationally and for every pharmacy to have the generic available.

I'm not sure why you would need to use a long acting med like Oramorph, It's very similar to MSContin and concurent use is rather unusual unles you are unable to get relief from a single opiate. I have seen folks that use Multiple long acting meds but they are usually extreme cases that are on the far right side of the bell curve that most folks find relief in.

Duragesic is a Fentanyl patch made by Jansen. Endo is coming out with a generic version of that too sometime this year. The patches last from 48 up to 72 hours. Again, your talking about combining 2 different long acting meds, If your considering concurent use of both the patch and long acting oxy.

I'm really not sure what your asking? Roxicodone 30mg would be fine and dose proportionate for the 80 mg OxyContin but You may get better relief by using a different short acting med for BT than you use as a base med. Like OxyContin or the generic with short acting morphine "MSIR" as a BT med would give you a broader range of receptor coverage and likely offer more relief without increasing your tolerance to oxycodone.
    Good luck, Dave

Old 05-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

DAVE
    THANKS FOR ALL. GUESS I WAS A LITTLE CONFUSING IN MY POST. BUT HERE GOESTHE EXPLO.
    HAD BEEN ON 40 MG. OCY 4 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 OR SIX YEARS. CHANGED INS. COMPANYS. THEY ONLY PAY FOR 60 PER MONTH, SO THE DOC SWITCHED ME TO 80'S, TWICE A DAY FOR $$$$$$$ REASONS. HAD BP AT MIDNIGHT, SO HE ADDED 30 20MG OC'S THIS MONTH.
    GOT A FEELING THE INS. CO WILL DEMAND GENERIC OC'S NEXT MONTH OR I PAY THE DIFFERENCE.
    SO I'M THINKING AHEAD OF HOW TO HANDLE THIS.
    THEY PAY FOR ORAMORPH WITH NO LIMITS, MS CONTIN, AND VARIOUS OTHER OPIATES WITH ENOUGH QUANITY FOR ME TO GET OUT OF PAIN AT A CHEAP PRICE.
    READING SOME OTHER BOARDS, THERE SEEMS TO BE A GOOD AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN ON TEVA'S LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE SOME DOSING PROBLEMS.
    WITH THAT SAID, ANY SUGGESTIONS/
    rexxx

Old 05-24-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Rex, I would imagine thedosing problems are the same with Purdue's product, It doesn't last 12 hours? regardles of how much you take every 12.

Purdue doesn't stand as sstrong on the 12 hour rule with MSContin so mosyt docs don't have a problem prescribing morphine 3 or 4 times a day. MSContin is way overpriced and Oramorph has a smotther release system. MSC uses the same ouble r4lease sytem OxyCOntin does, half about 45 minutes after you talke a pill and the rest at about 61/2 hours after yoyu take the pill. Honestly the generics wrok just as well as purdues MSContin. Oramorph is a good choice and after 4-5 years it may be a good time for a change just to keep tolerance in check. Oxy is a little stronger so you may actually take more mgs of morphine to get the same releif. MSContin is even more expensive than Kadian, the 12-24 hour morphine prep, It's much nwer but has a much higher tech abuse proof formulation. BIDdosing works just fine with Kadian or the generics can be fine with TID dosing.

When it comes to money, meth is the absolute chapest. A 1400 dollar script for kadian converted into a 60 dollar a month script for meth. The only Generic morphine prep I would avoid is the new one MellenKrodt just came out with. Endo makes a good product so does Teva and there are about a dozen other manufacturers of Long acting morphine. . Personally if your insurance would cover Kadian that would be my choice of long acting morphine.

What have you heard negative abpout the generic oxySR? I really haven't heard much about the new generic, other from folks that used the Endo version 4 years ago were pretty satisfied compared to the purdue NAME BRAND, other than the 12 hour dosing problem, Purdue had it taken off the market with some clever lawyering but eventually lost the rights on their 32 year old patent on the Contin release system.

I guess that's where BT meds can make or break you if your doc thinks Oxy lasts 12 hours. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Duragesic works well for some but if your in a hot sticky environment adhesion can be a problem, heat also speeds up the transfer of meds.Everyone responds differently but morphine can definitely be more sedating initially than oxy. It's just a side effect you have to ride out the first few days.

Good luck, David

Old 05-24-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hey Rex, I would imagine thedosing problems are the same with Purdue's product, It doesn't last 12 hours? regardles of how much you take every 12.

Purdue doesn't stand as sstrong on the 12 hour rule with MSContin so mosyt docs don't have a problem prescribing morphine 3 or 4 times a day. MSContin is way overpriced and Oramorph has a smotther release system. MSC uses the same ouble r4lease sytem OxyCOntin does, half about 45 minutes after you talke a pill and the rest at about 61/2 hours after yoyu take the pill. Honestly the generics wrok just as well as purdues MSContin. Oramorph is a good choice and after 4-5 years it may be a good time for a change just to keep tolerance in check. Oxy is a little stronger so you may actually take more mgs of morphine to get the same releif. MSContin is even more expensive than Kadian, the 12-24 hour morphine prep, It's much nwer but has a much higher tech abuse proof formulation. BIDdosing works just fine with Kadian or the generics can be fine with TID dosing.

When it comes to money, meth is the absolute cheapest. A 1400 dollar script for kadian converted into a 60 dollar a month script for meth. The only Generic morphine prep I would avoid is the new one MellenKrodt just came out with. Endo makes a good product so does Teva and there are about a dozen other manufacturers of Long acting morphine. . Personally if your insurance would cover Kadian that would be my choice of long acting morphine.

What have you heard negative about the generic oxySR? I really haven't heard much about the new generic, other from folks that used the Endo version 4 years ago were pretty satisfied compared to the purdue NAME BRAND, other than the 12 hour dosing problem, Purdue had it taken off the market with some clever lawyering but eventually lost the rights on their 32 year old patent on the Contin release system.

I guess that's where BT meds can make or break you if your doc thinks Oxy lasts 12 hours. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Duragesic works well for some but if your in a hot sticky environment adhesion can be a problem, heat also speeds up the transfer of meds.Everyone responds differently but morphine can definitely be more sedating initially than oxy. It's just a side effect you have to ride out the first few days.

Good luck, David

Old 05-24-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shoreline

Good luck, Dave
    dave
    read the next thread. i posted a new thread by accident trying to respond to your reply to me. i'm new at this.
    rexxx

Old 05-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
    REXXX
    (male)

REXXX HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REXXX
    dave
    read the next thread. i posted a new thread by accident trying to respond to your reply to me. i'm new at this.
    rexxx

Old 06-07-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
    patrickr1

patrickr1 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Oxycontin/generic/brand/options??

I have been taking 80mg oxycontin tablets now for over 2 years, recently my pharmacist subbed the generic form without informing me at all. I didnt think much about it till I took the first tablet. It made me so ill and "drunk like". I could barely stand up and walk to my kitchen. After that pill finally wore off, I knew I was going to have to get the original made by Purdue. The generic I had was made by TEVA I believe. The generic really didnt even relieve my bone pain from my osteomalacia and osteoporosis. At least it didnt seem too, I was so ill from the other effects, they totally overshadowed most of the pain. It just made me so sick I could not function. The Purdue drug has always worked fine for me and I have never had any problems with it at all. I finally got the Purdue brand and have had no problems since. I took the generic on a full stomach also. So apparently there is something different, at least to me, in the generic and the Purdue brand. I am wondering if other people are having the same problems as I had. I dont have a problem with generic drugs in general. They all work fine for me, except for this. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
    davidmillecam

davidmillecam HB User
    Wink Re: Oxycontin/generic/brand/options??

i use the generic version of oxycontin 5mg by ethex for 100 they cost only 16.99 so i take 8x4 32 a day and they work great and cheap also where do you get the generic oxycontin time released wallgreens doent have it yet
    and how much is the price differnece

Old 06-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
    patrickr1

patrickr1 HB User

The generic that I got was from Albertsons pharmacy. 120 x 80 mg are about $350 I think. My insurance pays all but $35 for generic and all but $50 for the Brand name. Purdue brand is over $600 for 120 80 mg tablets. I take two tablets twice daily as a general rule. 5mg oxycodone for breakthru every 4-6 hours. I didnt know they made 5mg Oxycontin at all. Time released that is. I obviously cant take the TEVA generic, it makes me very sick.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:11 AM   #13
    patrickr1

patrickr1 HB User

My experience with Walgreens has all been bad. Very poor service and lack of selectiions when it comes to opiates. I am sure some are pretty good somewhere. Here where I live in Texas, they are all bad. I just wont do business at Walgreens at all anymore. Albertsons seems to be pretty good. Walmart has few choices when it comes to selections also. United's drugs are at least 15% higher in price or more on all drugs than anyone else. I guess they are really proud of their pharmacies. All of the smaller drugstores, well you may as well bring your pot of gold with you when you buy from them.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
    Guitar Lover
    (male)

Guitar Lover HB User

5mg oxy oxycontin does not exist maybe oxyIR not contin

GL

Closed Thread