It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Codeine Question:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
    ExtraExtra

ExtraExtra HB User
    Question Codeine Question:

Hello I have a question about a prescription I received today. It is for surgery I had almost a week ago, an operation to remove a section of my first rib and two scalene muscles from my neck (long story). I am Tylenol sensitive, so the painkiller options were limited for my Doctor.

The first prescription I had was for Vicoprofen 7.5/200. It did not seem to be dulling the pain in my neck and shoulder area, so today I was given a script for Codeine Sulfate 60mg (no Tylenol or anything, just straight [email protected]). Long story short, even after the pharmacist said this should be stronger than the Vicoprofen, it is helping the pain even less than the Vicoprofen did! I cant call the pharmacy since everything is closed, and my doctor will not be back in until Monday. Even if the answering service or pharmacy can do something tomorrow, I am in such pain right now Im trying to type this as fast as I can to lay back down!! After some research on the web, I still have some questions. My questions are these:

1) Is it possible to break the Codeine tablets in half, to up the dosage? From what I was reading, you shouldnt do this with TIME RELEASED drugs like Oxycontin because they will then release the TR drug all at once. These Codeine are not Time Release though, so I would think its okay. However if anyone has any experience or information about the straight Codeine (if its that much different than the Codeine with Tylenol??), I would really love to hear what your experiences and/or information is with regards to the Codeine tabs.

2) If its not possible to break them in half, would it then be okay to take two of the Codeine tablets? I read that the max daily dose is 240mg, so I would still be under that even if I took two tabs tonight until I can call the pharmacy tomorrow. My neck is in such pain Im thinking of doing this anyways, so again if someone has experience with this, Please let me know!

3) WHY is this supposed stronger drug not helping with my pain? This is something I dont really need to know tonight, but more something I would like to know since Im kind of angry I have to be going through this in the First Place!!

Thank you to ANYONE who has any helpful advice for me tonight! Im in such pain Im just going to lay down for now, and check back in a half-hour or so to see if anyone can help. Thank you all again!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
    it never ends
    (female)

it never ends HB User
    Re: Codeine Question:

Call your doctor's emergency number. All doctors have to have one (don't they?) I'd take the 1 and a half, but if you are having this much pain, I don't think that it would make much difference. You should not be having more pain a week after surgery. That's why I say call, the doctor. Always call before you increase your meds yourself. You want the doctor to be responsible, not you. And you want him to know what is happening. I will pray for you tonight. It will get better. It will.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Codeine Question:

Hi EXtra Extra, You can break short actiung tablkets and simply increase the dosage, you don't want to run out early so I would call his emergency line, There are so many drugs they could have given you that are much stronger and contain no apap. Plain old Oxycodone is much stronger than codeine, and comes in several forms, OxyIR, Roxicodone in 5mg 15mg and 30 mg, The surgery you had is major and the meds given are rediculously weak. Codeine is also harsh on the stomach. It's rediculous a surgeon wouldn't know what your option are, Plain morphine MSIR, Liquid versions of morphine and oxy and dilaudid, Dilaudid is another option. Personally you just have to get through to him that these meds are not working.

Your doc can call in class 11 meds in emergency situations if he knows the protocol, the call needs to be followed by a fax and then a hard copy dropped off or mailed to the pharmacy. But if he doesn't know his opiates he probably doesn't know the laws either.

Pretty sad. because there is no reason for you to suffer, Tell him you have looked up Roxicodone 5mg 15mg and 30 mg, Oxyfast is liquid oxycodone, Morphine in 15mg and 30 mg and liquid form. There is no apap in any of these meds, Dilaudid is another option, no apap in it either. You can safely take 2 Vicoprofen every 4 hours and not exceed 2400 mgs of IBU.

Having a rib resection is extremely invasive and the incision pain has to be unbearable with just codeine to manage it. If you can get to the ER and explain you can't eat , sleep, drink without throwing up from pain they will get your pain under control. Then likely an ER doc may know there are options besides codeine. Crikey....

You know what they call a med student that graduated at the bottom of his class and spent more time doing bong hits than studying,.... the answer is "Doctor." Pretty scarry.
    Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 06-12-2004 at 11:06 AM.

Closed Thread