It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• MS Contin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2004, 05:27 AM   #1
    dckatz2001
    (male)

dckatz2001 HB User
    MS Contin

I went to my Pain Management appointment yesterday and the doctor switched my pain medication from 5 Percocet 10/325 per day to 30mg of MS Contin 3X/day with Percocet for breakthrough. Here's my question...I am supposed to start taking the MS Contin today. I'm all out of my last prescription of Percocet and will only have the ones for breakthrough to use from now on. Unfortunately, I am at work today and feel uncomfortable starting on the MS Contin because I am afraid it will sedate me heavily. I would like to wait until the weekend (tomorrow) to start it but really have no choice, as I don't want to waste the Percocet he gave me for breakthrough by taking 50mg worth today. I'm curious, what are people's experiences with MS Contin and does anyone think I should worry about starting it today while at work?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 06:33 AM   #2
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User
    Re: MS Contin

I take 3 60mgs MS CONTIN daily...at first, it can be a little sedating. I would find myself closing my eyes every few seconds. You should be careful, especially when driving.

My BT med is MSIR which is an instant release version of Morphine Sulfate. I take up to 3 30 mg MSIR daily.

the advantage over the percs is that they have no apap.

Alan

Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
    hedycarter1

hedycarter1 HB User

I was on MS contin 15 mgs 2 x's a day and work a full time job. I did not find it was sedating but it did make me sick to me tummy, so bad that I called my doc and went off it and back on my vicodin until I see her in 2 more weeks.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
    dckatz2001
    (male)

dckatz2001 HB User

Thanks you two. I just took my first MS Contin two hours ago. It sedated me a little and I'm still tired but overall the affect isn't too bad.

The only problem I had was that I had to call literally 15 pharmacies before finding one that carried either the brand name or generic version of the drug.

Old 06-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
    hedycarter1

hedycarter1 HB User

Did you find that it helped with your pain right away? I might have been on too low of a dose but I really did not get very much benefit from it and I was on it for 2 weeks.

I felt terrable for three days after I stopped taking it, even thought I went back to vicodin. It was the fist LA med that I tryed.

My doc told me to stop taking it if I was not getting relief and it was causing me to be sick to my tummy. She said we would try something else when I see her in 2 weeks.

I have to say, I am a bit scared of the LA meds, I was on 15 mgs 2x a day for 2 weeks and had withdrawl symptoms when I stopped. I was supreised because I thought it woiuld take a bit longer then that to become dependant. It also could have been that I was in a very pain pain flair when I stopped taking it.

I hope it works out for you.

Hedy

Old 06-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
    dckatz2001
    (male)

dckatz2001 HB User

I've been using the MS Contin since last Thursday and it seems to work fairly well. I actually prefer it to Oxycontin, which I was taking several months ago. My question is, how is the Morphine released into your system? After I take a pill, I usually get some pain relief after about 30 - 45 minutes. It lasts a few hours and then fades. Then there seems to be another wave of pain control after the 4-hour mark or so. Does this seem right? I'm on 30mg three times a day.

Thank you.

Closed Thread