It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Old thoracotomy scar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
    danlar

danlar HB User
    Post Old thoracotomy scar

I have an 11 year old thoracotomy scar in my right chest wall and have been diagnosed with having a lot of scar tissue in the large muscle under my arm. I exprience everything from the feeling that my lung is being torn out to burning, to an over whelming nerve pain when I use my arm too much or even walk too fast. I've had an MRI of my thoracic spine and they say the spurs found are not affecting the intercostal nerve. I've had a Ct scan and it shows scar tissue but they can't see nerve entapment. I went through Physical therpy, myo-facial release and has not worked. They figure I damaged the old scar and am now going to a pain clinic and they are doing Intercostal and trigger point nerve blocks For last 6 weeks. She says to be patient but its tough to not be able to work or do anything physical! Does any body else have experience with old scar injuries? Any info appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
    barteel

barteel HB User
    Re: Old thoracotomy scar

I had the same surgery, and now I have a lot of scarring inside, and a great deal of nerve damage. I only have a sec, but just wanted to say that I've had the nerve blocks, they didn't do anything for me. Actually, they were done so poorly, they made things worse for a while. Otherwise, I've tried every med under the sun... only thing that has worked is percocet and oxycontin..

So, we're in a similar boat.. if you have an questions, I might be able to tell you about my experiences.

~Fandango

Old 06-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
    Nervous Nellie

Nervous Nellie HB User

Danlar,

Yes, I have a similar problem. Scarred nerve roots from 13 years ago that I reinjured about 2 years ago.

The first bout took about 3 years to heal from. Now I have re-torn the old scar tissue. It's been 2 years thus far. I am in pain and waiting (im)patiently for recovery, as I did from the first time.

It sucks. Hard to deal with when you've already gone through so much. I'm not quite sure how I am going to deal with this going forward, but the thought I keep in my head is that "if it healed the first time, it will heal again".

Even though scars can heal and bind the original injury, they are also quite a bit more susceptible to re-injury...as I discovered as well.

K

Old 06-25-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
    danlar

danlar HB User

Fandango, thanks for the reply, it's good to know I'm not the only one who has not had good results with the nerve blocks. Can you tell me if the scar tissue is in the muscle under your arm or in the chest cavity? They think most of my problem is in the muscle, but I think the scar between the ribs is damaged also and it sure feels like something is pushing on the big nerve along the ribs but they say the CT scan does not show this. I Was also wondering what kind of Dr. you are seeing? I'm going to finish the pain center therapy, but if it does'nt work I'm not sure what the best thing is to do. Any info would be helpful.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
    liviahays
    (female)

liviahays HB User

Hi. I'm 13 and when I was a newborn I had to have heart surgery..I dont know what for but I have a scar running from the left side of my chest to my back..it's about 5 to 7 inches I think. It recently started hurting on and off almost everytime I inhale. Any advice on what to do or what this might be? Thank you

Closed Thread