It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Miralax to use with pain meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    Miralax to use with pain meds

My doctor wants to move me from Bextra and Ultraset to narcotics. I have always stayed away from them as they are highly constipating. He offered me Miralax. Has anyone here tried this?

Does it work? Side effects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
    sherry47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sherry47 HB User
    Re: Miralax to use with pain meds

Wow Betty,

We usually hear about people whose docs won't use narcotics and they are having trouble getting the pain relief they need. It's refreshing to know there are still docs out there who are trying to help their patients. Have you tried the narcotics before? I have to be really careful about not getting constipated due to a history of intestinal blockages but can honestly say I don't have too much trouble with it. But when I do, oh boy! I don't know anything about the Bextra but I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure someone will be along who can tell you something about it. Take care.

God Bless,
    Sherry

Old 06-29-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Hi Betty. I have never tried Miralax so I can't help you with that. I have one by script that is called lactulose. It works well for me. Its a very sweet clear liquid, almost sickenly so, so I don't use it unless I absolutely have to. I think Shoreline is familiar with the miralax though. I'm sure he'll be along soon to answer the questions for you.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:47 AM   #4
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Twist and betty, I haven't tried miralx but it works on the same principle of Kristalose. They cause water "moisture" to go to the bowels and soften things up which greatly helps, The longer something stays in side you the drier and harder to move it becomes.

As fa as Kristolose Twist, The powdered 10 or 15 gram packets can be mixed to any concentratipon, you get the same amount of med but it can be diluted and works fine, You don't have to drink the surupy stuff, of you can cut it with water and the added water just prevent dehydration from losss of too much fluids in the process, That's never been a factor, Even on bhigh dose I usually have to use a packet for 2 days and then wait untill things slow down again, there are faster ways , stimulants but much harsher that can double you over if everything is too dry, You need a softener irt off and the stim if softening doesn't help.

Although Ultracet may work for some people, but if it was working it wouldn't make sense to change , the next step is opiates, Hydro, oxy, morphine, patches or meth.
    The synthetics like hydro and oxy tend to have less harsh side effects than opioids like morphine and codeine. Hydro or Oxy or even low dose Morphine may not even cause a problem.

You can even dilute miralax and still receive evry mg of med and evbry benefit of the med. The more water the softer things will move.

Don't worry about side effects that haven't happened yet would be my modo, If you read the complete side effect profile nobody with any sense would take a prescription med, But it's a trade of function Vs side effects, If and when side effects become bothersome then it's time to worry, But no point n worring about the few hundred side effects that may only occur in less than 2% of the ppulation. Reading a side effect profile may be a bit too much information unless you find yourself having some bizarre side effect that you have never heard of.

Hang in there, Give it a shot and see what happens, If you feel you can live without opiates and live with the old meds then you have the right to make your own decisions and if you decide to stick it out with more pain, less side effects nobody can fault you and I aplaud your strength.
    Good luck,We can all help you deal with side effects that may occur, but the ultimate decision to take a med and roll the side effect dice is yours.
    Take care, Dave

Old 06-29-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
    wolfrider

wolfrider HB User

Betty, I have had to use Miralax for quite a few years now due to IBS and also med.s for my back pain. Dave is the resident Dr. (he is so knowledgeable) but I have the Miralax info from my bottle so I thought I would scan it for you an others who need it . I will use 2 to post to dispay it. The first is a short version and the 2nd. is the detailed. BTW it has no taste to it so thats a plus. If you have other ?'s I'ed be happy to try an answer them for you. I think you will find you have come to a great board filled with knowledge an experience. deb

PATIENT INFORMATION
    MiraLaxTM (Polyethylene Glycol 3350, NF Powder for Solution) is a prescription only laxative which has been prescribed by your physician to treat constipation. This product should only be used by the person for whom it was prescribed. How to take
    The dose is 17 grams each day or as directed by physician. It should always be taken by mouth. Measure the dose using the measuring cap (or use one heapin tablespoon of powder), stir and dissolve in a glass (8 oz) of water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. Taking more than the prescribed dose may cause loss of fluid dUi to severe diarrhea.
    How will it work
    MiraLax softens the stool and increases the frequency of bowel movements by retaining water in the stool. Your first bowel movement will usually happen in two to four days, although results may vary for individual patients.
    How long should I take it
    MiraLax achieves its best results when used between one and two weeks. You may discontinue taking the drug after you have had several satisfactory bowel movements:-Should unusual cramps, bloating, or diarrhea occur,-consult your physician. MiraLax is intended for up to a two week course of therapy. You should not use for a longer time unless directed by your physician.
    Next Steps
    After successfully completing the MiraLax therapy (usually between one and two, weeks) please discuss with your physician lifestyle changes which may producd more regular bowel habits (adequate dietary and fluid intake, regular exercise). Who Should NOT take MiraLax
    MiraLax should not be used by children. It should not be used by pregnant women unless prescribed by a physician.
    Side Effects/Drug Reactions
    Occasionally, MiraLax may cause nausea, stomach fullness, cramping, diarrhea and/or gas. Do not take if you have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or distention, which may be due to bowel obstruction. On rare occasions hives and skin rashes have been reported which are suggestive of ar allergic reaction. If you get an allergic reaction you should discontinue the med cation and call your physician.
    If vou are allergic to polyethylene glycol, do not use this drug.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
    wolfrider

wolfrider HB User

opps sorry

Last edited by wolfrider; 06-29-2004 at 11:54 AM. Reason: double post

Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
    wolfrider

wolfrider HB User

Detailed information

MiralaxTM Polyethylene Glycol 3350, NF Powder for Solution

DESCRIPTION
    A white powder for reconstitution. MiraLax (polyethylene glycol 3350, NF powder for solution) is a synthetic polyglycol having an average molecular weight of 3350. The actual molecular weight is not less than 90.0 percent and not greater than 110.0 percent of the nominal value. The chemical formula is HO(C2H40)nH in which n represents the average number of oxyethylene groups. Below 55C it is a free flowing white powder freely soluble in water.
    MiraLax is an osmotic agent for the treatment of constipation.
    CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
    Pharmacology: MiraLax is an osmotic agent which causes water to be retained with the stool.
    Essentially, complete recovery of MiraLax was shown in normal subjects without constipation. Attempts at recovery of MiraLax in constipated patients resulted in incomplete and highly variable recovery. In vitro study showed indirectly that MiraLax was not fermented into hydrogen or methane by the colonic microflora in human feces. MiraLax appears to have no effect on the active absorption or secretion of glucose or electrolytes. There is no evidence of tachyphylaxis. CLINICAL TRiAlS
    In one study, patients with less than 3 bowel movements per week were ran*domized to MiraLax, 17 grams, or placebo for 14 days. An increase in bowel movement frequency was observed for both treatment groups during the first week of treatment. MiraLax was statistically superior to placebo during the sec*ond week of treatment.
    In another study, patients with 3 bowel movements or less per week andlor less than 300 grams of stool per week were randomized to 2 dose levels of MiraLax or placebo for 10 days each. Success was defined by an increase in both bowel movement frequency and daily stool weight. For both parameters, superiority of the 17 gram dose of MiraLax over placebo was demonstrated.
    INDICATIONS AND USAGE
    For the treatment of occasional constipation. This product should be used for 2 weeks or less or as directed by a physician.
    GONTRAINDICATIONS
    MiraLax is contraindicated in patients with known or suspected bowel obstruc*tion and patients known to be allergic to pOlyethylene glycol.
    WARNINGS
    Patients with symptoms suggestive of bowel obstruction (nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or distention) should be evaluated to rule out this condition before initiating MiraLax therapy.
    PRECAUTIONS
    General: Patients presenting with complaints of constipation should have a thorough medical history and physical examination to detect associated metabolic, endocrine and neurogenic conditions, and medications.. A diagnostic
    evaluation should Include a strict diagnostic examination off the-colon. Patients should be educated about good defecatory and eating habits (such as high fiber diets) and lifestyle changes (adequate dietary fiber and fluid intake, regular exercise) which may produce more regular bowel habits.
    MiraLax should be administered after being dissolved in approximately 8 ounces of water, juice, soda, co{fee, or tea.
    Information for Patients: Miralax softens the stool and increases the fre*quency of bowel movements by retaining water in the stool. It should always be taken by mouth after being dissolved in 8 ounces of water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. Should unusual cramps, bloating, or diarrhea occur, consult your physician. Two to 4 days may be required to produce a bowel movement This product should be used for 2 weeks or less or as directed by a physician. Prolonged, fre*quent OF excessive use of MiraLax may result in electrolyte imbalance and dependence on laxatives.

laboratory Tests: No clinically significant effects on laboratory tests have been demonstrated.
    Drug Interactions: No specific drug interactions have been demonstrated. Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility: Long term carcino*genicity studies, genetic toxicity studies and reproductive toxicity studies in ani*mals have not been performed with MiraLax.
    Pregnancy: Category C. Animal reproductive studies have not been performed with MiraLax. It is also not known whether MiraLax can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman, or can effect reproductive capacity. MiraLax should only be administered to a pregnant woman if clearly needed.
    Pediatric Use: Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients has not been established.
    Geriatric Use: There is no evidence for special considerations when MiraLax is administered to elderly patients.
    In geriatric nursing home patients a higher incidence of diarrhea occurred at the recommended 17 gram dose. If diarrhea occurs MiraLax should be discontin*ued.
    ADVERSE REACTIONS
    Nausea, abdominal bloating, cramping and flatulence may occur. High doses may produce diarrhea and excessive stool frequency. particularly in elderly nursing home patients.
    Patients taking other medications containing polyethylene glycol have occasion*ally developed urticaria suggestive of an allergic reaction.
    OVERDOSAGE
    There have been no reports of accidental overdosage. In the event of overdosage diarrhea would be the expected major event. If an overdose of drug occurred without concomitant ingestion of fluid, dehydration due to diarrhea may result. Medication should be terminated and free water administered. The oral
    LDso is >50 gm/Kg in mice, rats and rabbits.
    DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
    The usual dose is 17 grams (about 1 heaping tablespoon) of powder per day (or as directed by physician) in 8 ounces of water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. Each bottle of MiraLax is supplied with a measuring cap marked to contain 17 grams of laxative powder when filled to the indicated line.
    Two to 4 days (48 to 96 hours) may be required to produce a bowel movement. HOW SUPPLIED
    In powdered form, for oral administration after dissolution in water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. Miralax is available in three package sizes; a 14 oz. container of 255 grams of laxative powder and a 26 oz. container of 527 grams of laxative powder and a carton of 12 individual packets containing a single 17 g dose.
    The cap on each bottle is marked with a measuring line and may be used to measure a single MiraLax dose of 17 grams (about 1 heaping tablespoon).
    Each individual packet contains a single MiraLax dose of 17 grams (about 1 heaping tablespoon).
    Rx only
    STORAGE*
    Store at 25 degrees C (77 degrees F>; excursions permitted to 15-30 degrees C (59-86 degrees F). See USP "Controlled Room Temperature."
    Distributed by Braintree Laboratories, Inc., Braintree, MA 021 85

0 6/01

Old 06-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

I have past addiction issues, present Xanax issues, and hemmeroid issues. So, don't want to add another issue.

thanks for your reply. I am stumped right now as to what to do. The Miralax costs an arm and a leg.

The Bextra is for inflammation. I am taking Ultraset for pain and it isn't working.

He offered me the Fentynal patch and Miralax.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
    sherry47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sherry47 HB User

Hi Betty,

If you have past addiction issues, the patch may be a good choice for you. It is an extremely strong narcotic but because of it being in the patch form, it's a little harder to abuse. I won't say its impossible to abuse it because I don't really know. I'm sure if someone wants to abuse something they can find a way. If used correctly I don't think you will have any problems with it. Your body will become dependent on it and if you ever decide to discontinue it you will definitely have to be weaned from it. I will say it's a little harder than most to wean from unless you have a doc that knows the little "secrets".(Only revealing half the patch) If you are say on a 50mcg patch, the next step down is a 25 which is cutting the dose in half. For some people this can make you really uncomfortable. I was one of those people. (I came off the patch prior to my fusion) My doc didn't tell me about being able to reveal half of the patch. He wanted me to take 2 months to come off the patches but after a week of reduction, I decided I could not prolong it for 2 months. I came off the patches in 2 weeks. It wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done. I was extremely sick for those couple weeks. I would just suggest if you do use the patches and ever need to come off of them, come to this board and post about it. I believe it is Shoreline that explained how to partially remove the backing to make the decrease not so hard. Ok, probably more information than you wanted, but sometimes it's good to know all you can before making a decision. Frankly, I like the patch. It has been a good choice for me. I had some pretty severe resignations about the patch at first even up to the time I dc'ed them before surgery. I didn't want to be on the patch. I thought I could control my pain with oxy. I did not realize how well they were working for me until I had been off of them for a while.

Whatever your decision is, I hope you find some comfort soon. Take care.

God Bless,
    Sherry

Old 06-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #10
    b-peace

b-peace HB User

Hello Betty and Everyone,
    We've found that Docusate Sodium - as much as necessary (buy generic!) - needs to be started as soon as opiates are started. Senna - as little as necessary can help and you can wean off of these after you wean off of opiates, if that happens.

Glycerine suppositories work if things get backed up, but you can't wait more than a couple of days. Don't want to get really impacted.

Hope this helps
    -b

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
    HomerOnSkype
    (male)

HomerOnSkype HB User

Yes it works very well taken at bedtime with water,coffee,, or hot tea

use Polyethylene Glycol 3350 nf 527 grams bottle Will save you money.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I' ve used miralax for a couple of years now. I haven't had any issues with it. You can get it a Costco where it is cheaper than at walmart and target. OR you can still get you doctor to write a script and my understanding is that is cheaper still. I take it every day and with the heavy duty meds I take it and fiber one bars keep me going. I can miss a day here and there, but I don't do much more than that. You still need to keep plenty of fluid going also. Good luck....

Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty View Post
    I have past addiction issues, present Xanax issues, and hemmeroid issues. So, don't want to add another issue.

thanks for your reply. I am stumped right now as to what to do. The Miralax costs an arm and a leg.

The Bextra is for inflammation. I am taking Ultraset for pain and it isn't working.

He offered me the Fentynal patch and Miralax.
    I don't think you'd be adding another issue. Certainly you'll become dependent on the patch, but if you're using it exactly as prescribed then I don't think you'll have a problem. In fact, worry about addiction will cause you more of an issue than actually wearing the patch will. Best of luck.

Last edited by dave490; 10-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty View Post

I am stumped right now as to what to do. The Miralax costs an arm and a leg.
    Personally, I'm a big fan of Metamuical. It's 100% pure husk fiber and all natural. I take it once a day...Two heaping tablespoons around 8pm. It helps move the biggest meal (dinner) of the day through. After about 4-5 days of daily use, you will become very regular.

If you have some gas or bloating initially, back off a bit, but still take every day. Also, your body will adapt and it will go away. At two heaping tablespoons per dose, small adjustments from there, up or down, can make a big difference. Not quite working, increase by half a tablespoon. Working too well, back off by a half.

I'm not a big fan of Miralax due to it's contents. I would read the thread, "constipation help".....Miralax is polyethylene glycol, which is a very close cousin of ethylene glycol (antifreeze). Here is a recent thread (from April) on the topic.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.phpt=657864&highlight=miralax +antifreeze&page=4

Post # 11 by Krit provides a lot of info. Also, there is lots of information about constipation in the thread....A great resource overall.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

I have to agree with Ex, using metamucil solved all my problems - and I had problems even before I started using pain meds. I used to have to take days off work to sort the problem out - my back would ache so badly and i wouldn't be able to walk properly.

I use one tablespoon of metamucil (actually it's a fibre mix I make myself but basically the same without the sugar) with breakfast and then two tablespoons after dinner with a hot drink. It's really important to keep your liquids up...and by that I mean water and tea rather than soda and things like that. Some sodas can actually make consitipation worse.

It's so natural and I have a BM every day - usually in the afternoon and it's a proper BM, no straining, no pain. Can't speak highly of it enough.

Closed Thread