It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• HELP...I cant take it anymore!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
    Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User
    Unhappy HELP...I cant take it anymore!!

Hi everyone, I suffer from compression fractures at T4, 5, 6, 7 and -T8 and DDD at T9 and T 10. Also have bulging discs at C5 and 6. Im waiting on my surgery date and miserable. My PM has me on 20 mgs of OxyContin twice a day and Lorcet 10's for BT pain. He mentioned the Duragesic patch and I beleive it was called Kadian (sp?) if I didnt like the Oxy. Well, I dont like the Oxy. It doesnt last 12 hours like its supposed to, usually after about 8 hours it has worn off and Im finding Im having to take more and more of my BT meds. I have an appointment to see him on Wednesday and am going to tell him I want to switch so I can live a little bit better before my surgery. From everyones experiences, which is better, as far as side effects, lasts longer, etc? Also Oxy keeps me awake, Im barely sleeping at night.

Thanks in advance,
    Amy

Last edited by Fly_Girl01; 08-01-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Wink Re: HELP...I cant take it anymore!!

I[we all here!] know were your comming from! I was on oxy. 20 mg. twice a day and lortab 10s for breakthrough,everyone i've talked to thats on oxy. says the same[doesn't last 12 hrs]I liked the oxy. because of the reason you don't.[keeps you up] i don't like to be drowsey all day long.Since you don't like the way it works,you might get a med. change,anyway,some peaple take it 3 times a day[every 8 hrs]I've tried the patch,i believe the narcotic in it is called fentonol,i had a bad reaction to it,but it is stronger,and many peaple swear by it.It comes in 25-50-75-and 100 there suppose to last 3 days.I posted just the other day[can't take it any more] My doc. told me most of his patients on the oxy. are complaining about the same thing[doesn't last 12 hrs.] So he put me on oxycodone 5 mg. I.R wich the the pharmacist said,hey,he cut you more than half! But my doc. knows i still have[had] a weeks supply of oxy. 20s and lortab 10s,he said if i don't get any relief,to go back to them,and when i go back and see him,we'd adjust the dose.Believe me,i know were your comming from,but are you ready to change to something different? I'm sure your doc. would be more than glad to take you off oxycotin,but if your changed to ,say m.s cotin[morphine time released] you won't have the energy like the oxycotin,or should i say keep you awake,same with the patch,they made me real drowsy.From what i've heard from others,and my own experience,it takes time to get the right med. and the right dosage.There not going to start you off on a high dose,usually,the lowest,and they go from there.Stick around here,theres a lot of help.I'm kind of new,and if you don't get a reply right away,its not that anyone doesn't find interest in your post,you have to remember,this is a chroic pain board,and some might just be having a bad day.You check your post tonight,or tomarrow,you'll find peaple did reply! take care,and check in! OK?

Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
    Re: HELP...I cant take it anymore!!

I can't take fentonol at all it keeps me up for days, no joke, same with ultramm for some bizzare reason.
    When I first started the MS it did make me groggy a lot but I have found I have adjusted to it fine and am not as groggy as I was but of course in no way does it last 12 hours, I'm lucky if it lasts 8. I don't find that I'm out of any energy either, but of course at first I did. It might just be case of how everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to meds.

I do find that no matter what pain medication I take I have to be on something to sleep. I take anti-depressants actually and they do help but I also take zyrtec for allergies and that too knocks me out so I find I can sleep better.

I'd suggest you talk to your doctor about the meds and also request something to help you sleep because you may find you are like me and no matter what you take you'll end up awake all night long.

Are you having your surgery on your lumbar or your cervical? I know that when I had my cervical operated on February it helped imensely with pain, I woke up feeling 110% better after I woke up from surgery than I had been feeling for many months prior.

Old 08-02-2004, 05:22 AM   #4
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher HB User

I started on oxycontin at 20mg. twice a day with two 7.5/500 percocets for BT pain. when that stopped working the PM doc increase the oxy to 40mg twice a day... but stopped the BT drugs! Since I only see him once a month it was pretty rough to say the least. I went in for my monthly appointment two weeks ago and said I wanted to get off the oxy since it was causing severe physical fatigue (i was having trouble walking around my apartment without getting exhausted). Saw a different PM doc at the same clinic, they started me on 25mu Duragesic patches, two 7.5/500 percocets for BT pain and one 4mg Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) at bedtime for muscle cramps and to help me sleep.

I don't think the patch is quite strong enough and will ask them to increase to 50mu at my next appointment but at least I'm not getting the severe fatigue I had on the oxycontin... plus, they don't seem to have the social stigma that the media has caused. All in all I think the patches are helping me more than oxy was but I still need the BT meds and I take 600mg of ibuprofen every few hours to keep the pain level from climbing back to the 8 to 10 range.

Personally, I'd like to have them increase my meds to 50mu patches, two 10/500 percocets for BT pain and maybe a 6mg or 8 mg Zanaflex so I could sleep through the night and not wake up stiff as a board. At this point I don't care if I can be productive or not, I'm willing to be catatonic if it means the pain would go away!

The PM docs are very selective about how they administer the patches in my experience and you'll hear many different success/failure stories about them. I really do think they're a better route than oxycontin (at least for me). I've had an L4-L5 fusion with other extensive work at that level, DDD at L5-S1, cervical disc disease, scoliosis in the upper spine and some other contributing factors that are causing me to be at the PM clinic. With the serious thoracic troubles you're having I'd say gove the patches a try, if it doesn't work you can always try something else.

Good luck getting some relief, I can only imagine what you're going through with all those levels involved. You have my hopes and prayers for some easing of your pain.
    Jack

Old 08-02-2004, 06:35 AM   #5
    sherry47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sherry47 HB User

Fly girl,

This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I would wait until after the surgery to up your meds. The reason is when you are in the hospital after surgery, they think giving you 5mg of morphine is HUGE. They don't understand the large doses of meds we are already on and it is hard to get pain relief after surgery. I had a spinal fusion with instrumentation in Jan and I was already on Oxy 20mg every 6 hrs. I came off of the Fentanyl (Duragesic)patch 50mcg before surgery so I would have better pain control in the hospital. Well, they started the morphine pump in the recovery room. It helped none! The Attila the Hun nurse in recovery told one of the other nurses in recovery, "she'll be ok when they get her on the floor and pour a bottle of oxycontin down her throat". Of course, that was just my bad experience, and I would hope that wouldn't happen to you but I would at least speak with the surgeon before making any med changes. Have your PM coordinate with your sugeon so they can have the right dosages to control your pain. I wish I had done this. The doc that was covering for my surgeon the weekend I was released from the hospital gave me a script for hydrocodone for post op pain relief. LOL. I of course threw a fit right there in the hospital and they called around until they found my surgeon and he wrote my regular scripts and my parents went and picked them up. It was almost a comedy of errors. Just make sure everything is talked about before surgery. Take care. Best of luck.

God Bless,
    Sherry

Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #6
    Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User

Thank you for the replies everyone. I think I will just keep everying the same so they can control my pain better post-op.

Sherry...LOL Atilla the Hun that had me cracking up but I would have been livid after the Oxy comment she made.

Kissa, I will definately ask the doc about something for sleep. I used to be a flight attendant (hence the screen name) and took Ambien to help out with flying through different time zones, etc. and slept like a baby with no hangover affect. Maybe he could try that.

Jack, it definately sounds like you need an increase in the patch and BT meds. How do you like the Zanaflex? My PM prescribed Skelaxin 400 mgs, and it helped the spasms some, but was killer on my stomach! I couldnt even eat a cracker with that stuff, so I quit taking it.

Mad, I know what you mean about being drowsy all day. I hate that feeling, even though I had to take a leave of absence from school and just sit on the couch with the internet or books all day. You would think with a med as strong as Oxy, it would knock you on your rear, but I guess not.

Anyway, I wanted to address everyone and thank you all for being so kind, and I hope everyone is having a pain free, or at least semi pain free day. I will keep you all posted after my appointment on Wednesday.

Hugs,
    Amy
    DDD T9-T10
    Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Last edited by Fly_Girl01; 08-02-2004 at 09:08 AM.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
    sherry47
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sherry47 HB User

Hi Fly Girl,

I was livid. When they brought me up to my room my parents and my husband were in the room waiting for me. My mom took one look at me and said "what in the hell did you all do to my child". My mom is a very devout Christian, she never curses. My face was swollen from the crying, you see there was a little more to it than the comment, the 2 nurses were jerking me from side to side to "check" my incisions. I weigh like 90 pounds so they were able to handle me like a rag doll. I was so upset when I got to the room (and Hurting) that I couldn't even tell my family what had happened. I told them enough, nurses jerking on me and the oxy comment. Well, within an hour, the administrator of the hospital and the head of the OR Nurses was standing in my room. I was still too upset to talk about it so they gave me a card with their number on it and told me as soon as I was able to talk about it to call them. I was very emotional for a long time, I never did call them. I'm pretty sure they reprimanded her right away anyway. I think they thought I was going to sue the hospital or something. I'm not like that. I'm a Christian also and I don't believe in sueing people for just anything. It's the second time I have had a malpractice suit that I did not follow through with. The first was the loss of my son in 1996. Anyway, I really didn't think I was either physically or emotionally strong enough to go through a trial. Everyone says they would have settled out of court. Who knows. I do know I never paid a dime for that 75,000 dollar surgery. I ended up with 3 walkers, all kinds of weird things happened. I just hope that nurse doesn't ever make anyone else feel that way again. She could have done major damage to me by jerking me around like that. Let me say this though, with the exception of that one nurse, the hospital had excellent service. They took very good care of me. It's just that one person can make a whole institution have a bad name. I would like to confront her now and ask her why she would make such a statement. She works in a recovery room of a hospital that does spinal fusions every day. She should have been exposed to people on a lot stronger meds than I was on. She was also reading my file out loud to the other nurses and of course everyone else in recovery could hear her. Telling about my allergies and what type of reactions I had, every personal detail in my records was public knowledge that day. I don't know why she picked me to pick on but she did. My mom says I'm an easy target. Petite and beautiful and it causes people to make snap judgements about me. That's my moms opinion. She has to feel that way, I look just like her. LOL. Anyway, what ever her reasons were, she really hurt me, not just physically but emotionally. I hope no one ever has to endure that type of treatment or character judgement again. I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery goes smoothly as well. Any time you want to talk I'm here (as you can see, I love to talk) I listen as well.

God Bless,
    Sherry

Old 08-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #8
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fly_Girl01
    Jack, it definately sounds like you need an increase in the patch and BT meds. How do you like the Zanaflex? My PM prescribed Skelaxin 400 mgs, and it helped the spasms some, but was killer on my stomach! I couldnt even eat a cracker with that stuff, so I quit taking it.

Personally I think Zanaflex is great stuff. I had originally talked to my PA about getting Flexeril or Soma for the back spasms and she was willing to do that but said she could only give me a few per day as they could make me drowsy. I told her that I mainly wanted them for after work anyway so I could relax and that's when she brought up Zanaflex because it'd definitely make me sleepy and one before bed would help ease the pain and stiffness I've been having when I first get out of bed. It usually takes effect within 30 minutes so once I lay down I'm able to fall asleep without all the tossing around.

My old PCP had originally tried Skelaxin when he'd diagnosed the herniated discs as "a pulled muscle." That stuff is about as effective for me as thinking happy thoughts. Soma and Flexeril are both effective for me but the Zanaflex has the relaxing effect AND helps me get some sleep at night. The PM doc said he could go up to a 32mg or 36mg dose per day but wanted to start low so he's got me on 4mg. It's helping some but if they make a 6mg. pill I'd like to see if that would keep me from having all those waking spells during the night.

Good luck with your next appointment, hope all goes well and you can keep moving toward some relief from the pain.
    Jack

Closed Thread