It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• How do I deal with chronic pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #16
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Re: How do I deal with chronic pain?

You all are great with the advice! I can't thank you enough for trying to help me.

Being relatively new to chronic pain, it's been a difficult adjustment for me. I've suffered from pain in different parts of my body, but the pain always went away with time. It's hard that I just can't be on my feet and do things the way I used to. I would never be able to go on a day trip and be on my feet all day anymore--I've tried. I know I shouldn't think about what's going to happen in the future, but I just can't help but wonder if I'll be able to walk 10 or 20 years from now. I know that worrying is the worst thing I can do.

I just started my TENS trial in physical therapy. My PT doesn't have faith that TENS will help me. My attitude is: why not give it a try...it may help. Have any of you tried treatment with TENS?

In PT, I also am being treated with the whirlpool...and that really helps with reducing pain. I wish I could own one of those hydrotherapy machines at home. On the machine it says "For professional use only," and of course my doc had to write a prescription for the whirlpool, so I guess it isn't possible for people to own hydrotherapy machines? They are very expensive, too. If it were possible to own one of these machines, I would be interested. I have a foot bath, but it's not the same as a hydrotherapy machine with the powerful water jet.

By the way, I have been going for counseling, and I have been discussing the issue of chronic pain, but my therapist has not offered any advice on how to handle the emotional and physical pain. I will tell her that I need help dealing with these issues the next time I have an appointment. She is a resident, so hasn't had much experience in the field, but I find that she is a very understanding person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 AM   #17
    Flycatcher

Flycatcher HB User

Sealover, I'm sorry you're not getting the help you need from the doctors. We've all pretty much been down that same road, it's depressing, frustrating and it simply isn't fair. I strongly recommend that you personally contact the PM doc that you were referred to, maybe they lost the request to call you or maybe they're waiting to see if you'll call them first... stranger things have happened.

My orthopedic surgeon is strongly opposed to prescribing opiates. In fact, the last thing he prescribed for me was naproxen, knowing that I have severe spinal problems and permanent nerve damage. After two years of post surgical follow ups he FINALLY brought up referring me to a PM doctor, on the day I'd intended to ask him for that.

Well, at my first appointment the PM doc walked into the room, sat down on the exam table and said "I can tell just by looking at your chart that you're in extreme pain. What works best for you? Lortab, Darvocet, Percocet...?" I was so stunned I didn't know how to respond! Of course he set up procedures like the ESI series so it wasn't JUST meds he wanted to try but knowing that I'd finally found a doctor who was willing to help took an amazing weight off my shoulders and that feeling of hopelessness was gone. If it wasn't for my PM doc I honestly don't see how I could've gotten this far or how I'd be able to face the future knowing that I'll have this level of pain everyday for the rest of my life. There IS help out there for you but you may very well have to fight to get it. Please call the PM doc you were referred to, and if he won't see you find another one!

Jack

Old 08-14-2004, 08:59 AM   #18
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I've had a TENS for years and it does help some. It only masks the pain but if you really think about it, that's the same thing pain meds do. It works in some areas and not in others. You have to play around with it. It's a godsend on my back some days.
    Be careful with it, several times I've accidently bumped mine while it was on my hip and set the level to all the way and shocked the heck out of myself! It's funny, but only after it happens! LOL

Fly, my first experiences with a PM was similar to yours. I was expecting someone to come in and give me the 3rd degree. Instead he checked me over and told me that I do look in severe pain and what worked for me (after checkign the 5 page form I had to fill out LOL).

Old 08-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
    laurawithcats

laurawithcats HB User

Aren't good pain management docs great? My guy almost had me in tears of gratitude at my first appointment. We all sound like advertisements! But, seriously Sealover - get thee to a PM!

Re:tens. Seems to me, it certainly can't hurt you, and your doctor wouldn't be trying it if s/he didn't think it had a chance of helping your pain. I say - if standing on your head and counting backwards helps, do that. I've tried things that should work and don't, and things that shouldn't work but do. Pain is like that. Try not to shock the heck out of yourself, though (hi, Kissa)! Having a dorsal column stimulator myself, I know how jarring that can be.

It's been said but bears repeating - call the PM, call the PM, call the PM. My guy's waiting list for an appointment is sometimes 3 months, so call soon. You'll probably be glad you did.

-Laura

Old 08-15-2004, 08:41 PM   #20
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

Take what SGIBSON said and ditto it for me. It has been God that has brought me through my chronic pain and healed my condition that caused the chronic pain after 6 years time. I highly recomend finding a good church, prayer, and being annointed with oil and having the ministers of your church lay hands on you and pray for a miricle. I prayed for one weekly for 6 years. Sometimes chronic conditions require chronic prayer before God answers your prayer request.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:35 PM   #21
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

I also agree about the healing power of prayer. Difficult times in life, such as dealing with chronic pain, bring many people closer to God.

I have a TENS unit now for home use. My insurance will cover it for 2 weeks, then I'm not sure what will be covered after that. I cannot believe how expensive these TENS units are to buy! Holy Cow!!

A new pain in my bad foot just cropped up, and it is a pinching sensation in my 5th toe joint...very painful. So yet another problem to talk to my podiatrist about. I haven't found any doc who understands completely what is going on with my foot yet.

Anyway, hope you all have a nice weekend.

Closed Thread