It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• started accupuncture & myofascial release

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    started accupuncture & myofascial release

My family doc sent me to an old Chinese doctor that does both of these. I had my first treatment on Wednesday. I went in thinking accupuncture doesn't hurt, I found out I was wrong. There were about 5 needles in me (out of around 20) that really hurt, especially if I moved. He told me it would be a long time and lots of work to try to get everything fixed but he wouldn't commit as to whether it will help enough for me to come off the narcotics. He said the accupuncture would even help my tmj. He picked up my hands and touched a certain area and was telling me areas that I hurt just by doing that. He also knew before he examined me and while I was still sitting that my left leg is about 1 inch longer than my right. I was quite impressed with him. Neither lasted very long, only about 3 hours but he warned me about that and said it should get better after more treatments. Anyone else try these and have positive, permanent results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User
    Re: started accupuncture & myofascial release

No one has tried this??

Old 08-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
    LFCA

LFCA HB User

My wife tried acupuncture twice, both for non-pain & painful conditions (though not chronic) without noticeable result. She was surprised that the "pain" sessions didn't help as, supposedly, that's one place where acupuncture is supposed to be particularly good. I've heard others have better results, but it's only been second (or third) -party hear-say so far. It's probably worth trying...my wife's acupuncturist told her that if results weren't quite obvious in 6 to 8 sessions, it might not be worthwhile to continue treatment.

Not sure what you mean by myofascial release. Is that where the practioner puts pressure on certain spots for a number of minutes, then releases? Maybe what's called "acupressure"?

Last edited by LFCA; 08-29-2004 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
    scotty12
    Veteran
    (male)

scotty12 HB User

i went to an accupuncturist for 5 months.i would have about 5 needles in my back also legs ,feet,hands,even my head.it only hurt when it seemed close to a nerve.wasnt bad if i didnt move,i found it very relaxing.i purposely tried not to take my meds within 3 or 4 hrs prior to my appts.
    i honestly felt much better after the visit.i would feel less pain,very little in fact for 3 maybe 3 1/2 hrs.

insurance didnt cover it and i really expected the duration of relief to last longer as time went on but that was it.if insurance would pay i would still go but it was only those 3 or 4 hrs once a week.

i was told the duration of relief should grow after a while but that just never happened.maybe more than once a week would offer better results.i do reccomend it as it is not too painful when the needles are put in.after that i didnt even feel them.they use very fine guage flexible needles these days so it isnt as painful as it once was.

like i said i found it very relaxing,more so then a massage used to be.i wouldnt think of getting a long massage these days.ive done it twice and the next day i felt so awful.

...glad you responded well even if just for a few hours,thats promising.its nice to feel painfree without narcotics.......
    scotty

Last edited by scotty12; 08-29-2004 at 02:09 PM.

Closed Thread