It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Xanax vs. Valium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #1
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User
    Xanax vs. Valium

Can you tell me the main difference between 5mg of Xanax and 5mg Valium or are they similar in their effect? Thanks, Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
    jbot

jbot HB User
    Re: Xanax vs. Valium

I have taken both over the years. I think I would say the valium helped me the most.I have a dr now that will only prescribe xanax.I mostly take them only when I have a panic attack. I never used them as muscle relaxers because you have to take them daily. For panic attack i take only as need and some weeks even months I don`t take any. I guess it would depend on what you are taking them for.They are both good drugs but are also habit forming. Good luck to you.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi mary, As far as strength, they are supposed to be roughly equal as far replacing one with the other and not experiencing negative side effects.

The real difference is in ther mechanism of action and their half life.

Xanax is often preferred as a PRN "as needed" med for anxiety because it works fast and has a short hlaf life, It also only works on a particular part of your brain.

Where valium is the Only muscle relaxer that works both on your brain and on smooth muscle fiber, It's by far the vbest med for muscle spasm, but many docs don't use it due to the high abuse rate, not that Xanax isn't abused too. Valium would work better on muscle spasm, It would also work for anxiety and you would be less prone for rebound problems with valium as Xanax wears off fast. Valium has a long half life so you mantain some in your system, more of a prevenative for panic attacks or a longterm treatment for anxiety and a great treatment for muscle spasm. Any benzo will increase the CNS depression from opiates so you have to be careful. It's really better to start a new med on the weekend when it's OK to sleep, rather than at your desk.

The conversion is fine, It really just depends on the purpose of taking it. Another Long acting or long half life benzo is Klonopin, which is the preferred drugg for anxiety problems that haven't reposned to conventional therapy, SSRI's and short acting anti anxiety meds. Klonopin also has antiseizure properties, may help with neuro pain, does help greatly with restless leg, so th reason your taking it should really determine the choice of which med would b best for what problem.

Panic attacks are nothing to be ashamed off, A huge flair can certainly feel like a panic attck too, pain so bad you can't catch your breath. Anxiety, like depression, can go hand in hand with CP and doesn't mean anyone will label you Crazy Mary.LOL Simply because you take a Benzo either Xanax, Klonopin or Valium. Often a dose of "any" benzo will help me more than BT meds when I hurt so bad I can't seem to catch my breath.

For spasm, I would choose valium and you still get the anti-axnxiety effect, Xanax is solely an anti anxiety med. Or used to promote sleep without a hangover due to it's short action. Benzo's used for sleep tend to loose their effetiveness over time, where meds like elevil continue to work without the same type of tolerance you develop to opiates.
    Good luck, Dave C

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-12-2004 at 06:12 AM.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User

Hi you guys! I am so happy to hear from you all as I thought I was posting the wrong way. The last few times I have posted my question showed up on the board in regular type not the bold faced one. And, it had an envelope with an arrow on it(???????????????). And no replies. So I was at a loss as to what to do. So when I saw Shore and the others had answered me I was so happy and relieved.

They are going to be replacing my left hip in the next month. I had to wait on this doctor because he is one of the best my insurance covers. I asked him about continuing my methadone like Shoreline advised me to do in one of my very first posts. The doc told me I would be on IV morphine for 3 days and then they would start back up my methadone. His nurse gave me a number to call If I had any questions. I was wondering if I should call and ask about maybe being "opiod tolerant" and not being comfortable for those three days with the IV. I would appreciate any input from you guys about any other medication questions I should ask. Anyway I am looking forward to hearing from you all again. Thanks! Mary

Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

That's my big fear to, Mary, that when I need surgery again because I'm becoming opiod tolerant how will they manage my pain?? Hopefully after you come off the IV morphine (and the morphine is enough to help) your methadone will be more than what you normally take because you will still be dealing with post op pain. I would call the nurse to make sure post op pain will be taken care of if it was me in your position. Make sure they don't give you any meds that will purge your system of opiates. I'm not sure what they're called but that happened to Shoreline after he had a heartattack. I'm sure he'll be along and can give you better info than I have. Do you have a date for your surgery yet? Please keep in touch and let us know how you make out. Good luck with everything.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User

Hi Twisten-thanks for the "heads-up" on the narcotic purge thing. I'll be sure and ask the nurse about that one! When the doctor left the room and I was left with his nurse she would whisper the word "methadone" whenever she and I were talking about meds. It was the first time anyone had ever acted shocked (?) by my being on it. I have read in these boards the bad rap methadone gets and how we are sometimes judged by taking it.

I haven't heard yet when the date for my surgery is - but I know it will be before Christmas.

Thanks for caring-I'll keep you informed. Mary

Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
    delilah1963
    (female)

delilah1963 HB User

I've been on Valium for muscle relaxant properties for almost a year. Just a little goes a long way for me and, fortunately, my PM doc understands that it is the best, bar none, MR there is. As long as I'm in check w/my dosage, he's fine w/it. I told him other doctors always say "Ooooooooooooh, that's so addictive" when I disclose my use of it. My PM doc's response was, "That is coming from people who aren't in pain."

Touche.

If any of us were looking to be junkies, we wouldn't be on this board.

Best to you, Mary.

Del.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
    toelle

toelle HB User

I had back surgery last march and have been presribed both Lortabs and Xnax. When the pain get really bad the Xnax really seems to help probably because the pain makes me so tense. I usually take a 500mg lortab at breakfast along with 1/2 of a 1mg Xnax. That usually takes me through until about mid afternoon when I take a second 1/2 Xnax and at dinner, around 7:30-8:00 I take another Lortab. Then at bedtime I take a 1mg Xnax so I can sleep otherwise the pain makes it impossible to sleep. I just had a checkup with my primary Dr. who has prescribed Klonopin 0.5 mg, to be taken at bedtime only, because she says it's longer acting then the Xnax. The problem is she says it takes about a week for it to start going into effect and in the meantime without the Xnax I'm in unbearable pain! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really confused as to what to take. I'm scheduled in Jan. to have a nerve root stimulator implanted and hopefully if that works I wont have to take any of this stuff but untill then what should I do? Toelle/Sue

Last edited by toelle; 11-18-2004 at 03:06 PM.

Closed Thread