It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Question about Baclofen and Valium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User
    Question about Baclofen and Valium

Hi Everyone! The other nite I was so uncomfortable (waiting on hip replacement) and miserable and hadn't had a good nights sleep in like FOREVER etc. etc. that I took 2 soma's and 1 5mg. valium. I slept like a baby and woke up feeling sooooooomuchbetter I can't even tell you!

When Shoreline told me that valium was a smooth muscle relaxer and Soma is a skelatal relaxer, even tho I slept so well, it got me worried about that combination of meds, so I havn't done that again.

I also have Baclofen prescribed to me to use in the daytime prn and then to take one pill at bedtime.

I used to have a wonderful pharmacist I could go to who would explain everything and she was compassionant and caring. Now we have some young, handsome, just out of pharmacy school "yo yo" who is more concerned about his hair and how he looks in his lab coat than any of his customers. His people skills are zilch and he is very arrogant and condensating. Needless to say our wonderful pharmacist transferred outta there and we are left with this guy.

So anyway, back to my question. For sleep is Soma and valium a safe combination? Or is Baclofen and Valium a better one. I see my PM doc in 2 weeks and I will ask him. He is not real good at returning calls unless they are of an emergency nature.

I also take 40 mg of methadone twice a day, and have been doing so for about a year now.

I feel better now that I have vented about the new pharmacist!!!!!~Take care you guys. I appreciate all your caring answers! Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
    Re: Question about Baclofen and Valium

Hey mary, Baclofen is for muscle spacticty, a little different from spasms, Spacticity is when the muscles become rigid and spastic, like you would see with wheelchair bound patients, MS and some other conditions. However it does have some pain relieving qualities and can be a good adjunct med with pain meds and will help with plain muscle spasm.

You have searched for drug interactions between the following drugs: Soma,baclofen,Valium

Please note: only generic drug names are displayed.

We did not find any drug interactions between the following drugs: Soma,baclofen

........................................ ......................................
    diazepam (moderate Drug-Food)
    Description:

MONITOR:
    Grapefruit juice may increase the plasma concentrations of some orally administered drugs that are substrates of the CYP450 3A4 isoenzyme. The proposed mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 3A4-mediated first-pass metabolism in the gut wall by certain compounds present in grapefruits. The extent and clinical significance are unknown. Moreover, pharmacokinetic alterations associated with interactions involving grapefruit juice are often subject to a high degree of interpatient variability.

MANAGEMENT:
    Patients who regularly consume grapefruits and grapefruit juice should be monitored for adverse effects and altered plasma concentrations of drugs that are metabolized by CYP450 3A4. Grapefruits and grapefruit juice should be avoided if an interaction is suspected. Orange juice is not expected to interact with these drugs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

diazepam and carisoprodol (moderate Drug-Drug)
    Description:

MONITOR:
    Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT:
    During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be made aware of the possibility of additive CNS effects (e.g., drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, confusion) and counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until they know how these agents affect them. Patients should also be advised to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

diazepam and baclofen (moderate Drug-Drug)
    Description:

MONITOR:
    Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT:
    During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be made aware of the possibility of additive CNS effects (e.g., drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, confusion) and counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until they know how these agents affect them. Patients should also be advised to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.
    ........................................ ........................................ .................
    Hey mary, the safest interction looks like Baclofen and Soma, when you add Valium to the mix you get combined CNS depression, which is what puts you to sleep. That one good night ofsleep where you feel better, ma be more active and prevents you from taking naps in the day from not sleeping, ismay allow the soma alone to work. Particularly if your napping in the daytime. That really throws you sleep off at night.
    The meds and doses are relatively safe though, IF you had said 4 soma and 30 mgs of valium I would be concerned but your not taking more of any med than your used too , rather combining doses you have been previously exposed too.

I don't know if a doc would recomend combining meds for sleep but you know what works in a clinch. As far as CNS interaction, you are pretty much used to them , If you added meth to the interaction list, it would be another CNS depressant. But you have been doing fine so far and so have many others that take a combination of CNS depressant, Pan meds, muscle relaxers, antiseizure meds etc. It seems Baclofen doesn't have as much CNS depressant effect as Valium and Soma.
    When is the surgery and good luck, Dave

Old 11-18-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User

HI Dave - I'm not sure when the surgery date is - just sometime before Christmas. I'm going to have to donate my own blood, I do know that. I appreciate all my questions you answer. I'm sure you've figured out by now that I am totally lost when you give me the "technical" answer. I appreciate you breaking it down to the layman's level of understanding that even I can understand. I'll bet if you spiked your hair and put on a lab coat (like our new pharmacist) you would be pretty cute too!! Just kidding (LOL)!

I have a hot line to my surgeon that I'm supposed to call if I have any questions before surgery. I'm going to call and ask about my having opiod tolerence, exactly when they will start up the meth again because I'm going to be on IV morphine for aprox. 3 days. Can you give me an idea of anything else I should ask or have I covered my bases as far as pain mgt.? Thanks, Mary

Old 11-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

Hey Mary. Another thing I learned on this board that I forgot to mention to you. Before the surgery ask the anaestheologist (sp??) if you will be allowed to come to in recovery unaided by meds. I know there's one that, if they use it, it will also purge your body of opiates. I can't remember the name of it though. Shoreline can you help us out with this one?

Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Oh Yeah, You don't want to reverse anesthesia on a an opiate dependent patent after a lengthy surgery or any surgery. They use the same opiate antagonists they use to revive OD's simply to wake you up and speed you out of recovery and get you in a room. Insist they allow you to wake naturally . So what if you spend an extra hour snoozing after surgery. The nurses are there to watch over you in revovery, It's not mill work where they get paid more to get 30 patients awake and alert and to there room to earn a bonus. Reversing anesthesia will purge all opiates, block all opiates from working untill it wears off in about 2 hours and is completely unneccesarry.. Talk to the anesthesiologist about it and explain you have been on meth for however long and would apreciate not wakng up in full blown withdrawal.

Good luck, Dave

Old 11-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User

Dear Dave & Twisten, Oh God you guys. If I ask the doc's about waking up naturally etc. and no reverse opiots, do you think they will think I'm some *** who is trying to tell them how to do their jobs? I mean for sure I'll ask them (even show them a copy of this post if need be) I just don't want them offended - or am I just being paranoid? Thanks, Mary

Old 11-19-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
    twisten
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twisten HB User

No Mary I don't think they would be offended but I don't think you're being paranoid either. As Shore mentioned just tell them that you're on meth and have been for a considerable amount of time. I'm sure they would appreciate knowing sooner than later after they've put you into withdrawal. I think everything will go fine for you. Make sure you let us know when your surgery date is so we can cheer you on!!

Old 11-20-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
    Ladyhopeful
    (female)

Ladyhopeful HB User

Diazepam has a long 'half life' in the body, meaning it one of the class of benzo's which take the longest time period to be eliminated from the body (and central nervous system.)
    By also taking the S - you are in effect taking two drugs which in essence have the same result, except that the S has an extremely short 'half life' elimination period in the body so be extremely cautious, knowing that you are taking two sleeping med's at the same time. The short acting that these (benzo) drugs are, the sooner you will crave higher and higher doses and the sooner you can find yourself feeling awful withdrawal symptoms if you do not keep on taking higher doses or try to stop using it. If there is no other way for you to get some sleep then why not rather increase your diazepam dose and not mix two seperate sleeping med's.
    Once you decide that you no longer need to take the diazepam - if you taper off it slowly over time in small steps you can come off it without major withdrawal effects. I would seriously consider stopping the other sleeping med!
    Good luck with your operation.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mary, I wasn't bashful, They reversed my anesthesia on my second back surgery which was a nightmare, I think I called every nurse and medical person that came to check or do something every name in the book, starting with how can you be so F#$#$#@ stupid.

Next time, I simply described what happened before, my concerns and the docs were cool with it. It's the recovery nurses that want you out. The doc doesn't care how long you sleep in recovery. There is nothing wrong with saying you have been taking meth so long your concerned about them reversing anesthesia. You will have enough pain to deal with , without them purging your system and waking up screaming.

Good luck with surgery and don't hold back because your concerned what they may think. After having the end of your femur sawed off the least they can do is let you wake naturally and inject as much long acting local into the area before you wake as they can.
    Take care, Dave

Old 11-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
    Crazy Mary

Crazy Mary HB User

Hi Shore, Twesten and LadyH, Luckily I am going to see my PM doc on Tuesday so I will discuss all this with him before I call the hotline to my surgeon. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention.

Shore, did I read you had a heart attack after they reversed your anthesthia?

LadyH. I have only been on Valium for less than a month - and I know how addicting they are so I will be extra careful. Thanks for caring. You know, I don't know why I am even on Baclafen because I don't have spasms at all(?????). But my PM doc prefers Baclafen over Soma because he says Soma's tend to make you depressed.

This waiting for a surgery date is making me crazy!!!!

Oh by the way I am on PMT because I live in Nevada. This site is on GMT. What is GMT?? Thanks for all your support, Mary

Closed Thread