It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• oxycodone 15 mg.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    oxycodone 15 mg.

Hello everyone,its been a while,me and my girl split,[cause of my back] but my question is,my doc. put me on oxycodone 5 mg i.r, he said i can take up to three at one time [15 mg] every 6 hr.i told him it helps trememd. with the breakthrough pain,so he changed it,and now i'm on the 15 mg oxycodone,but the thing is,it seems i'm not getting the same relief as if i were taking 3 5 mg of the oxycodone i.r and also,the new ones i'm on[15 mg] on the bottle it doesn't say i.r[imediate release] i think it says hcs,i'm not sure,i'm at the library using there computer,so i can't look,but are they[15mg] i.r, meaning,are they the same as taking 3 of the 5 mg? I'll check later,i don't have a computer so,its tuff on me,thank you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User
    Re: oxycodone 15 mg.

I was just switched for my BT from MSIR 30 mg to Roxicodone. I got the generic version which is 30mg Oxycodone HCS. I do not know what the HCS stands for, but they are Instant Release pills.

Alan

Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Mad hatter, If you live in the US, Purdue makes the 5mg capsules which are true OxyIR, What you got was likely a generic formulation fo roxicodone which is Oxycodone hydrochloride "HCL"
    It comes in 5mg , 15,and 30mg tablets. The actual OxyIR name brand capsules may disolve a little faster and have more of a kick when they hit you but it's not that much faster than a compacted tablet, 10-15 mnutes at best if not just a plecebo effect of the name IR. But the capsule IR release is supposed to work a little faster than a pill,..

However they don't make 15mg OxyIR or 30 mg oxy IR.

If you live in Canada, the OxyIR comes in tablket form, destroyng the theory that gel caps with tny beads disolve and start working faster. OxyIR in tablket comes in 5mg, 10mg and 20 mg in Canada, Both made by purdue, one a cassule , in Canada t's a tablet.

The two manufacturers of generic Roxi 15 are Mallinckrodt and Amide, Personally I use th e Amide. The Info direct from tmallinckrodts web site explicitly exlains each 15 mg tablet contans 13.5 mgs of oxy HCL and the 30 mgs tabs conatin 27mgs of base Oxy HCL. Why, because the FDA allows a .8-1.2 varriance in active ingredient. If mallinckrodt can skim a few mgs they will. There methadose version of methadone HCL has cause me to experience withdrawal twice.

I've taken both name brand and the AMIDE generic Roxi and find the amide to be fine and I haven't found any info from amide explaining they use the bottom of the FDA allowable variance. What numbers are on the pill and I can tell you what manufacturer you got although it should be on the bottle. Personally I specifically shop for meds not made by Mallinckrodt. Too many bad experiences with their products.

I cut this out of Mallinckrodts package insert that's available at their web site.

[url]http://pharmaceuticals.mallinckrodt.com/_attachments/PackageInserts/57-OxyHCl%2015%20and%2030%20Tabs%20-%20080604.pdf[/url]

Oxycodone Hydrochloride
    Tablets, USP
    15 mg & 30 mg
    Rx only
    DESCRIPTION
    Oxycodone Hydrochloride Tablets, USP are an opioid analgesic.
    Each tablet for oral administration contains 15 mg or 30 mg of oxycodone hydrochloride USP.
    Oxycodone hydrochloride is a white, odorless crystalline powder derived from the opium alkaloid, thebaine. Oxycodone
    hydrochloride dissolves in water (1 g in 6 to 7 mL) and is considered slightly soluble in alcohol (octanol water partition coefficient
    is 0.7).
    Chemically, oxycodone hydrochloride is 4, 5 α -epoxy-14-hydroxy-3-methoxy-17-methylmorphinan-6-one hydrochloride and
    has the following structural formula:
    The tablets contain the following inactive ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose; sodium starch glycolate; corn starch; lactose
    monohydrate; stearic acid; D&C Yellow No. 10 (15 mg tablet); and FD&C Blue No. 2 (15 mg and 30 mg tablets).
    The 15 mg and 30 mg tablets contain the equivalent of 13.5 mg and 27.0 mg, respectively, of oxycodone free base.

BY the way, mallinckrodts imprint is an M on one side and 15 or 30 on the other. It should be M on one side and 13.5 and 27 on the other, but the FDA still calls it equivelent and so do pharmacists and people that don't understand the system.
    Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 12-11-2004 at 09:18 AM.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #4
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a computer anymore,so when i get a chance[like now] at the library when its dead,i go on.

Closed Thread