It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Vicodin vs. Ultram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
    littlegreek25
    Inactive

littlegreek25 HB User
    Vicodin vs. Ultram

Hi everyone. I am currently taking Ultram and Flexeril for chronic TMJ. My doctor has already told me I'll be taking pain meds for the rest of my life, but he said he would rather have me on Ultram than Vicodin. I prefer Vicodin because it works better for me. I don't know if it's because he's afraid I'll get addicted to them or what. I don't really know what the difference between the two meds are. Does anyone know? Thanks for your help.

Amy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Re: Vicodin vs. Ultram

vicodin is a narcotic,ultram isn't,but both are addictive.If your doc. said you'll be on med. the rest of your life,maybe you should ask him[her] about long term med. for example,the patch,m.s cotin,oxycotin,then again,these are med. with narcotics in them.Since ultram can also be addictive,its hard to say what your doc. is thinking,but if your in pain,the doc. needs to know.Try keeping a log about your pain levels,this will show the doc that you are concerned,plus,the doc. would have an idea on whats going on etc.I keep one,and for example-12-22-7am-[what ever med. your taking] pain level on a scale from 1 to 10 [10 being the worst]

Old 12-22-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
    dawn1234
    (female)

dawn1234 HB User
    Re: Vicodin vs. Ultram

Hi Amy,
    Over the past 2 years I've been on both at different times for my carpal tunnel problems. The military used to hand out ultram like it was nothing, I thnk that was before they knew it was addictive. Ultram, in my opinion, is not very strong, but it can be good for a daily maintence to keep the pain at bay. If I were you I'd ask the doc about prescribting you the vicodin for breakthrough pain. Vicodin in my opinon works a lot better, HOWEVER, my body builds a tolerance to it really fast. Another thing to think about is if you are on an anti-depressant, you should not take ultram, becuase it also acts like an anti-dep. It was the pharmacy, not the doctor that alerted it to me. Since I wanted to go on taking prozac, the best option for me was to go to lortab (same active ingreadient as vicodin) for the bad pain, and take Ibprofen daily. I still have a small stock pile of ultram though. Doctors would rather prescribe ultram because it isn't tracked the same way as the "real" narctotics are. It isn't in the same class. Ultram in some people makes them feel "wired" like they actually want to clean the house, etc. Never believed this until I was on it over a month or so. Hope this helps you make a more informed decision. IMO, I don't think vicodin would be good to be on long term, if you can help it, because of the tolerance issue. But it is an excellent breakthrough med for me.

BTW, my surgery went well, went for PT today, everything seems to have turned out ok,...not in too much pain, thank goodness!

Dawn

Closed Thread