It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• post surgery pain and buprenorphine or suboxone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
    CoffyDrinker711
    (female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User
    Unhappy post surgery pain and buprenorphine or suboxone

Hello:

I have searched high and low for info and or experiences of people using buprenorphine for severe chronic pain control. My son was recently started on it at 16mg per day and it does nothing for his pain relief. It is used primarily for drug addiction (like methadone) and off label it is being used for pain management. Does anyone on this board use or know someone that uses this drug for pain relief and NOT addiction recovery?
    I cannot find much info regarding the true usefullness of this drug for pain therapy. High doses of fentanyl patches, oxycontin, dilaudid, percocets(left those behind a long time ago) yes, even methadone, has not helped his pain. We've been to at least four pain clinics now and were really hoping this drug would help him get his life back. Any help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 07:54 PM   #2
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User
    Re: post surgery pain and buprenorphine or suboxone

Sorry, I don't have any answer for you regarding the pain relieving properties of the sub, but you might have some luck posting your question on the addiction board where there are many posts by people who are taking it. Though thier reasons for being on the drug may be different, (freedom from addiction), there just might be someone who has also found pain relief.
    Or... others from this board may post more after the holiday. Wishing you and your son pain relief soon.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just what exactly is causing your sons pain?i have not heard anything about using sub as a pain management option.I think it is still a pretty new med yet so only time will tell whether or not this actually works.If this is not working for your son after a couple months or like six weeks or so,i would take him off of it and move on to something else.Unfortunetly it does appear that you are running out of options.What other specific meds have been tried in the past?Any anti siezure meds or anti Ds?most treatment of pain depends on just what type of pain it is and what is the actual generator.Sorry if this does not help you much but if you let us know where his pain is actually stemming from, we might be able to help you a little bit better.Marcia

Old 12-26-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
    Shoreline66
    (male)

Shoreline66 HB User

Bup and Suboxone are combination opiate agonsist and antagonsits, Meaning they both bind to opiate receptors and block other opiate receptors. The antagonsit action "blocking receptors" of either med can send a chronic pain patient that's physically dependent on opiates into withdrawal.

Mixed opiate agonsist /anatagonsit like Bup, Sub, TalwynNX, Stadol, Nubain are all limited in there ablity to offer pain relief due to there opiate receptor blocking activity. They are usually preffered meds for people that have had compliance problems or abuse problems with other opiates.

The receptor blocking action prevents abuse for the high, limits the meds ability to manage severe pain but can be a good first line choice before putting people on meds that do cause physical dependence. He's working backwards as far as going from the strongest pure opiates to combination mixed opiates.

I understand wanting to help your son and gather info on these meds, But gathering info on his condition and treatment options may be more effective. IF his condition is progressive or permanent, learning to accept that he may not be able to return to his old life will help more than finding the full prescribing info on each med.

He can certainly make a new life but understanding the goal of pain management is not to relieve someone of all their pain. It's to improve function. Once the meds are hindering his ability to function the line gets crossed from a med being helpful to the med hindering his ability to function.

If he's looking for a magic pill to take all the pain away and allow all his former activities, expectations of the meds and pain management are much too high. If a doc would flat out say our goal is 50% reduction, comeing to terms with his new limits will occur much faster.

The idea that if X amount relieves half his pain than twice as much will relieve all pain isn't how Pain manangement works and will likely just leave him doped up and still complaining. If he increases doasgaes on his own, he will end up without a doc at all and 0 pain relief.

I know it's harder for younger people to except they can't go mountain biking or sking or whatever the old favoriter pass times were, but that's where the phsychology of pain management comes in. He can have a fulfilling life with 50% of his pain relieved.

He won't be doing any bull riding or water sking but he has to have reasonabale expectations and except that often this is as good as it may get.

He's tried all the LA meds for pain. If he's looking for complete pain relief that won't interfere with what he wants to do or his friends want to do, His expectations are not realistic.

If he wants meds increased and increased thinking more will allow him to function, I'm sure you have seen just the opposite effect. To much and you become a nodding out couch potatoe. The idea is to find a medium where he can function as much as possible given his condition and not have the meds impaire him even more.

Knowing what the problem is may open a few doors and looking into non opiate methods may offer something opiates can't.

Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread